Groups

Boycott Petrol Station Shops?!

I made the mistake the other day of popping over to my local petrol station to buy a couple of bags of sweets, could not believe the price, one bag of revels and one bag of wine gums, just under £4:50!!
    When I questioned the price I was met with a sullen yes thats right, surely they don't need to charge this much, I know they probably don't have the buying power of somewhere like Asda but this seems like out and out profiteering.
    Seems a bit like the cinemas........

18 Comments

Banned

you werent forced to buy them

prices are based on convenience - get over it lol

errr, don't buy them then!

its like the cinema they charge loads for them too suppose they know they can so they do same with the garage its for conveience so they get away with it.

Loving the boycotting posts lately, Im sure we'll all do so..

Seriously though, Im tight anyway and Ive not been to the cinema in years, Id rather spend less on the dvd and get to watch it as many times as I like!
    But my local co-op and other small convenience shops are the same, a rip-off! I do get caught out and have to buy bread or milk from the P.S, but other than that, if its not a necessity why bother.. You should have put em back

A Mini Mart? Scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. Sells pies, anti-freeze…

flamingcarrot

A Mini Mart? Scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. Sells … A Mini Mart? Scaled-down supermarket, fits inside a petrol station. Sells pies, anti-freeze…

lol

Loved the hot apple pie scene too!
    .. ‘How long did you put that in for Lynn? It's hotter than the sun!’

Oh lawd.

Omg x item is so expensive but I still bought it.

Erm lol wut?

Get over it grandad

At least they don't over charge for magazines and newspapers. Was that the only place selling sweets near you? Were you that desperate for them?
    No point in closing the gate once the horse has bolted, just as you shouldn't complain about the price of the sweets after youve bought them :-)

TamaraKnight

At least they don't over charge for magazines and newspapers. Was that … At least they don't over charge for magazines and newspapers. Was that the only place selling sweets near you? Were you that desperate for them?No point in closing the gate once the horse has bolted, just as you shouldn't complain about the price of the sweets after youve bought them :-)

...because the prices of publications of this type are printed on the cover; the (maximum) retail price is set by the wholesale distribution channel.

BFN,

fp.

Banned

Nikki999

lolLoved the hot apple pie scene too!.. ‘How long did you put that in for … lolLoved the hot apple pie scene too!.. ‘How long did you put that in for Lynn? It's hotter than the sun!’

Could go your way, could go mine, but either way, one of us is going down.

Banned

dont buy sweets from a petrol station is the key

unless its a supermarket, selling petrol

what next....convenience stores?

Original Poster

What interesting comments, strange how some people seem so easily rattled, simple point was I think it's a rip off, no you don't have to buy them, but still a rip off, thats it really.

Banned

cycleman

What interesting comments, strange how some people seem so easily … What interesting comments, strange how some people seem so easily rattled, simple point was I think it's a rip off, no you don't have to buy them, but still a rip off, thats it really.

LOL - and you were so 'rattled' you rushed home to make a thread on here about your horrific experience

It's not a rip-off, it's how they make their money. They make more from the goods in the shops than they do the petrol they sell, and get away with such high prices the same way the cinemas do, by having a captive market. You can boycott them if you like, but it won't make any difference. They function on the basis of a few high-profit sales rather than a lot of low-profit sales (like Asda and such), so it's the sort of thing they expect to happen anyway.

It's a rip off if you are forced to buy something, just do as all the rest, look at the prices and buy elsewhere. If you bought them then you obviously were happy with the costs.

Lesson learned I hope.
    I've not bought anything from a petrol station in years.

Original Poster

Oh dear, case confirmed.

Original Poster

csiman

LOL - and you were so 'rattled' you rushed home to make a thread on here … LOL - and you were so 'rattled' you rushed home to make a thread on here about your horrific experience

Oh by the way, I didn't rush home to post the comment, this happened a few days ago and never described it as a 'horrific experience' (do you have a few issues lol), just thought it was worth getting a few reactions, looks like I was right, quite a few stressed people here these days lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
      3. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188

See more discussions