Boyfriends, Tenant rights & Law

38 replies
Found 5th Aug 2009
Quick question..... if your daughter's boyfriend moves into your home does he have any rights in the eyes of the law? Should the relationship turn sour, how easy is it to get him to leave?

Thanks for any advice given....

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
38 Comments

dont think so unless he is on the tenancy agreement

Depends how long he has been there more than anything

linw;5944453

+1

speak to citizens advice or the person you rent from private/council x

linw;5944453

+2

No rights whatsoever

How big is the daughters father?

He has moved into your home?

If so, he has no rights whatsoever. Even your daughter has no rights.

It's your house, your name on the deeds etc., therefore he has no rights whatsoever...

squatters rights? please be careful, I'd get some legal advice x

Sabz03;5944620

squatters rights? please be careful, I'd get some legal advice x

Myth.

Banned

If it is your home , he has no rights whatsoever unless you agreed to add him to your tenancy :thumbsup:

If it's your daughters house which she shares with him and he is joint tenant , a quick call to the cops should any problems arise they will kick him out / forcefully :-D then your daughter gets a restraining order to stop him coming back

But why worry about this ? is your daughters partner a bit of a div sometimes :whistling:

Banned

dcx_badass;5944645

http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/jeremykyle/default.html

^^

if the form is too tough....

ask toni (serious)

He has no rights, chuck him out.

My mum did the same with my brothers stalker girlfriends

I wouldnt worry about turfing him out if it's turns sour, I would worry more about why you would have your daughter's bf move in in the first place.

bykergrove;5944684

^^if the form is too tough....ask toni (serious)

careful, talking about banned members will get you an infraction! :whistling:

Banned

bitseylango;5944736

careful, talking about banned members will get you an infraction! … careful, talking about banned members will get you an infraction! :whistling:

toni the tigr? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tony-the-tiger---frosties.jpg

Banned

linw;5944453

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
My tennant moved her boyfriend in after 4 mths without asking.
Ive thrown them both out now.

It has to be on agreement:thumbsup:
So NO unless its in agreement.

RUDOLF;5944951

:thumbsup::thumbsup:My tennant moved her boyfriend in after 4 mths … :thumbsup::thumbsup:My tennant moved her boyfriend in after 4 mths without asking.Ive thrown them both out now.It has to be on agreement:thumbsup:

Diito, he has to be on the agreement before he can live there at all.
If he's not on it, then they can both be thrown out by the landlord for breech of contract.

bigflump;5944981

Diito, he has to be on the agreement before he can live there at all.If … Diito, he has to be on the agreement before he can live there at all.If he's not on it, then they can both be thrown out by the landlord for breech of contract.

Not true.

thesaint;5945109

Not true.

Really? is there some legal loophole......im a bit worried now incase my tennants decide to move the rest of the family in :w00t:

Who would care about the law
I say Boot + Ass = Answer

DarkKnight;5945232

Who would care about the lawI say Boot + Ass = Answer

lol always had good tennants, but yes that would work :thumbsup:
Still curious about Saints not true tho :thinking:

bigflump;5945206

Really? is there some legal loophole......im a bit worried now incase my … Really? is there some legal loophole......im a bit worried now incase my tennants decide to move the rest of the family in :w00t:

bigflump;5945273

lol always had good tennants, but yes that would work :thumbsup:Still … lol always had good tennants, but yes that would work :thumbsup:Still curious about Saints not true tho :thinking:

Sorry, you said that he has to be on the agreement to live there. He doesn't.
A landlord can't simply throw someone out who is not on an agreement anyway.

The OP has given next to no details.

You have to give specifics if you want a comprehensive answer to a query.

thesaint;5945314

Sorry, you said that he has to be on the agreement to live there. He … Sorry, you said that he has to be on the agreement to live there. He doesn't.A landlord can't simply throw someone out who is not on an agreement anyway.The OP has given next to no details.You have to give specifics if you want a comprehensive answer to a query.

No worries, i just didnt know that.
I thought it was water tight and only the tennant named on the contract agreement could live there, guests are allowed sure, but not to move in :?

bigflump;5945411

No worries, i just didnt know that.I thought it was water tight and only … No worries, i just didnt know that.I thought it was water tight and only the tennant named on the contract agreement could live there, guests are allowed sure, but not to move in :?

Yes, they can move in.

Again, it depends on the contract, but 99% of contracts wouldn't give a landlord the right to evict either the "guest" or tenant for the "guest" living there.

thesaint;5945451

Yes, they can move in. Again, it depends on the contract, but 99% of … Yes, they can move in. Again, it depends on the contract, but 99% of contracts wouldn't give a landlord the right to evict either the "guest" or tenant for the "guest" living there.

Thanks Saint, like you say it depends on the contract, and so does the OP's question:thumbsup:
But i'll be looking into this more i think :w00t:

Supermod

People always assume that this is cut and dry. Tenancy is a tough subject. You need to be careful of promissory estoppel. That is promises made to someone regarding future conduct regarding ownership. If they are just a tenant it should be fine...but if the tenants go on to become owners then no promises should be made to property etc.

Landlord/tenant/cahabitees isnt my strong point so call CAB or speak with a local solicitor if the problem escalates.

Sloth/Mod

If the relationship turned sour then why would he stay there anyway when he could be out knocking off someone else???

Original Poster

Thanks guys. My daughter is 19 and because her brother is moving out of the house we own, the likelihood is we will be asked can the BF move in. Just wanted to check if he did move in we weren't giving some implicit rights away.

I call to CAB might be in order.

paulgee31;5946098

Thanks guys. My daughter is 19 and because her brother is moving out of … Thanks guys. My daughter is 19 and because her brother is moving out of the house we own, the likelihood is we will be asked can the BF move in. Just wanted to check if he did move in we weren't giving some implicit rights away.I call to CAB might be in order.

Give them a call/visit.

Even if you made him pay, he would have no right to occupy. The law would not force someone to have a lodger in their house against their wishes.

Banned

bigflump;5945273

lol always had good tennants, but yes that would work :thumbsup:Still … lol always had good tennants, but yes that would work :thumbsup:Still curious about Saints not true tho :thinking:

Yep love to know, got my papers out last night and read them , were right.:thumbsup::thumbsup::santa:

Banned

thesaint;5945314

Sorry, you said that he has to be on the agreement to live there. He … Sorry, you said that he has to be on the agreement to live there. He doesn't.A landlord can't simply throw someone out who is not on an agreement anyway.The OP has given next to no details.You have to give specifics if you want a comprehensive answer to a query.

Banned

Being a Landloard for many years you are wrong.
So what if the person on a singular person agrement, let all the rest, 4say of his or her family move in. Thats ok. Dont think so.

RUDOLF;5946287

Being a Landloard for many years you are wrong.So what if the person on a … Being a Landloard for many years you are wrong.So what if the person on a singular person agrement, let all the rest, 4say of his or her family move in. Thats ok. Dont think so.

Never heard of a "Singular person agreement", got a link to one?

Original Poster

Right had a chat with CAB.

If he moves in and is effectively a lodger, shares bills etc but pays no rent, he is classed as an excluded occupier and has no rights.

However if we start charging a rent, then we become a landlord and need to enter a tenancy agreement,

Banned

thesaint;5946379

Never heard of a "Singular person agreement", got a link to one?

My tenancy agreement is for MISS ********** on her own, singular, she has no right and is not allowed, to move anybody(extra person) into the property without asking me first.
Laid down in her agreement.Which she and I signed.
Under the heading Singular person tenancy agreement, produced and draw up by solicitors.

:thumbsup:

Banned

paulgee31;5947224

Right had a chat with CAB.If he moves in and is effectively a lodger, … Right had a chat with CAB.If he moves in and is effectively a lodger, shares bills etc but pays no rent, he is classed as an excluded occupier and has no rights.However if we start charging a rent, then we become a landlord and need to enter a tenancy agreement,

Great somebody has proved us right.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

paulgee31;5947224

Right had a chat with CAB.If he moves in and is effectively a lodger, … Right had a chat with CAB.If he moves in and is effectively a lodger, shares bills etc but pays no rent, he is classed as an excluded occupier and has no rights.However if we start charging a rent, then we become a landlord and need to enter a tenancy agreement,

You can not have a valid tenancy agreement for someone that lives in the same house as the landlord. The person that advised you needs to check their facts.

RUDOLF;5948062

My tenancy agreement is for MISS ********** on her own, singular, she has … My tenancy agreement is for MISS ********** on her own, singular, she has no right and is not allowed, to move anybody(extra person) into the property without asking me first.Laid down in her agreement.Which she and I signed.Under the heading Singular person tenancy agreement, produced and draw up by solicitors.:thumbsup:

You will find that that part of your tenancy agreement was invalid. If you are telling me that a court enforced that part, and evicted a tenant, I would be more than surprised.

A tenant can not sign away their statutory rights.
Put your tenancy agreement clause onto the Landlordzone forum, and see how it's torn to shreds.

Solicitors will write whatever you want them to.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247651
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114655
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming2643
    4. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21113

See more discussions