B&Q cant refund me!?!

Found 26th Nov 2017
Hi all. So I ordered a couple of dewalt multi tools from the B&Q website for click and collect, they were obviously mispriced at £10 each but I thought I'd chance my arm and hope they'd go through.
Money was taken from my account but I heard nothing from them afterwards. I've spoken to them since and they're telling me I have to go into the store to get refunded. It's miles out of my way and would cost more in taxi fare than the refund is worth. I've told them I'm not prepared to travel in to collect a refund but they're saying it's the only way. Annoying thing is they have the items I ordered in stock, and I'd be happy to pay 30 quid for a taxi to collect them but they're not prepared to do that.
Where do I stand legally? I know it's only 20 quid but it's the principal.
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Did u pay with a credit or debit card
I paid with a debit card
Speak to your bank and get them to do a charge back.
if they have your items in stock, why dont you just go and get what you ordered...?
Why on earth would you have to go in-store for a refund if you paid online ? Never heard that before.
Yeah, just threaten the chargeback. It's no skin off their back to refund you sanely.
adamspencer959 m ago

if they have your items in stock, why dont you just go and get what you …if they have your items in stock, why dont you just go and get what you ordered...?

​it was a misprice, back up to the full price of £130 and they're refusing to honour it. I have no idea why they can't simply refund back to my card
eslick11 m ago

Speak to your bank and get them to do a charge back.

​Thanks, never done that before but I'll look into it
I get it is the principal but you would've been prepared to take a taxi all that way to benefit from their mistake if it was to your gain. Distance selling regulations should work in your favour if you paid online. I know you do not want to be out of pocket but you would've been quite happy to make a profit. Assume you were thinking of selling these for a profit. In a different set of circumstances this would be considered gambling. I'm not saying you should be out of pocket and b&q should easily refund you but sometimes a risk is a risk.
eslick3 m ago

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

​great info, many thanks :-)
From the sounds of it they are refusing to supply goods due to a pricing error, which they are entitled to do so. However this is from their own T&C. So if they were unable to contact you they would simply refund, as such I dont see why they still couldnt refund you without having to visit your local branch.

5.7 All Products are subject to availability. If you order Products which are not available from stock, we will take reasonable steps to contact you to discuss how you wish to proceed. You will have the option to wait until the Products are available from stock, or cancel your order. If the Products are unlikely to be restocked (or we are unable to contact you), we will cancel your order for those Products and refund the price you have paid for those Products.
psychobitchfromhell9 m ago

I get it is the principal but you would've been prepared to take a taxi …I get it is the principal but you would've been prepared to take a taxi all that way to benefit from their mistake if it was to your gain. Distance selling regulations should work in your favour if you paid online. I know you do not want to be out of pocket but you would've been quite happy to make a profit. Assume you were thinking of selling these for a profit. In a different set of circumstances this would be considered gambling. I'm not saying you should be out of pocket and b&q should easily refund you but sometimes a risk is a risk.

​They would have been Christmas presents actually. I don't understand how you can think they're not in the wrong here...it's their mistake and I've done nothing wrong. Companies seem to have all the power these days and can treat customers however they like. As long as people like you defend them they'll just get worse.
hubcms11 m ago

From the sounds of it they are refusing to supply goods due to a pricing …From the sounds of it they are refusing to supply goods due to a pricing error, which they are entitled to do so. However this is from their own T&C. So if they were unable to contact you they would simply refund, as such I dont see why they still couldnt refund you without having to visit your local branch.5.7 All Products are subject to availability. If you order Products which are not available from stock, we will take reasonable steps to contact you to discuss how you wish to proceed. You will have the option to wait until the Products are available from stock, or cancel your order. If the Products are unlikely to be restocked (or we are unable to contact you), we will cancel your order for those Products and refund the price you have paid for those Products.

​looks like they are picking and choosing which of their t&c's they are using. I have no problem with them not honouring their mistake but I draw the line at being out of pocket because of it. The conversations I've had with them have all been very amicable, I'm now just waiting for them to get back to me yet again. Seems ridiculous that they can't refund...makes me wonder if the staff there are just inept.
absolutely ridiculous behaviour. someone is making a serious mistake here and quite likely they're at a low level. Fire off an email stating their request is unreasonable and they have 48 hours or 7 days in which to rectify and refund.
It’s disgusting how they are treating you. I am assuming you have attempted to speak to a line manager or someone higher.

I would either contact the Executive team and hopefully they should be able to resolve your case. I would also get them to compensate you for the stress and hassle too.

CEO Email
wolfee4 h, 17 m ago

​They would have been Christmas presents actually. I don't understand h …​They would have been Christmas presents actually. I don't understand how you can think they're not in the wrong here...it's their mistake and I've done nothing wrong. Companies seem to have all the power these days and can treat customers however they like. As long as people like you defend them they'll just get worse.

Oh I'm not defending them. I think it is wrong they haven't refunded you yet. I just get Fed up of people here banging on about how disgusting it is that such and such a company haven't honoured the seven hundred cars they had ordered at fifty pence each not fifty thousand pounds.
I've had a cancellation email for another product, which states "Dear xxxx, Thank you for contacting B & Q to inform us that you wish to cancel your order 1000111xxx.

Refunds by cash/paper tender are in store. Refunds to credit/debit card can take up to <7> days to process. "

I've not contacted them to cancel my order, see what response we get today?
Edited by: "Flynn.Jack" 27th Nov 2017
psychobitchfromhell5 h, 25 m ago

Oh I'm not defending them. I think it is wrong they haven't refunded you …Oh I'm not defending them. I think it is wrong they haven't refunded you yet. I just get Fed up of people here banging on about how disgusting it is that such and such a company haven't honoured the seven hundred cars they had ordered at fifty pence each not fifty thousand pounds.

the OP has clearly stated they are annoyed that B&Q are insisting on going to store for a refund, not that they wont honour the misprice.

i suggest reading properly before launching an offensive.
adamspencer951 h, 11 m ago

the OP has clearly stated they are annoyed that B&Q are insisting on going …the OP has clearly stated they are annoyed that B&Q are insisting on going to store for a refund, not that they wont honour the misprice. i suggest reading properly before launching an offensive.

I suggest you read my comment about distance selling before launching into an offensive against me.
psychobitchfromhell3 h, 19 m ago

I suggest you read my comment about distance selling before launching …I suggest you read my comment about distance selling before launching into an offensive against me.

then how is your rant about getting annoyed by people complaining about mis-prices not being honoured relevant in this thread?
I've just received a cancellation email for something and also had a call earlier to tell me about it, she said I'd be refunded (obviously as they can't supply what I ordered..)

sounds like a load of BS to me, email them and say you require a refund or the goods and that you wont be travelling for a refund, as that's not something anyone has ever done for an online purchase, in the history of online shopping..
Just ask them to agree to refunding your expenses and get a taxi there and back, tell them you'll provide receipts.
_-Richie-_27th Nov 2017

Just ask them to agree to refunding your expenses and get a taxi there and …Just ask them to agree to refunding your expenses and get a taxi there and back, tell them you'll provide receipts.

​Good idea. They were supposed to call me again today but didn't... haven't had the time to call them but will suggest exactly that when I do
I've just checked my account and it seems they've refunded me today after all.
Glad I stood my ground and refused to travel out of my way for them. They didn't even email me to let me know that they managed to sort it out in the end.
Well that's strange... I've received a receipt in the post earlier for "returned items" for the amount they refunded.

Has anybody else ever experienced this? Weird way to go about it imho.
Edited by: "wolfee" 30th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions