B&Q compensating customers after own brand Valspar paint develops ammonia smell

Found 20th Jul 2017
B&Q has had to compensate it's customers after their own brand Valspar paint developed an ammonia smell after they removed some of the preservatives in the paint due to new EU regulations. The preservative stops the growth of mould and bacteria in the paint but has also caused it to have a smell like ammonia when painted on porous walls or walls exposed to direct heat and sunlight.

The smell will apparently wear off in time but not ideal when you have painted a room for a child and want that nice fresh new paint smell. They advise sealing the paint with an alkaline based sealant but customers are worried that will just hide the problem.

B&Q are now compensating customers and offering to cover the cost of redecorating. Anyone affected should call B&Q customer service line on 0333 014 3098

cd3ac93a-37f2-581a-a273-4f0f9ea6f229

LINK TO ORIGINAL BBC ARTICLE

COMPLAINTS
Community Updates
MiscPaint
58 Comments
bloomin typical, just finished painting little man's room in this stuff, does anyone know how long before the smell starts to be noticed?
House smelling like a chicken house. Mmm.
gr8t1

bloomin typical, just finished painting little man's room in this stuff, … bloomin typical, just finished painting little man's room in this stuff, does anyone know how long before the smell starts to be noticed?

Apparently takes a while and only on direct heat / sunlight or porous surfaces. Maybe get some of the sealer they are mentioning or ring the advice line - your batch may not be affected.
deleted1431257
And another EU regulation wrecks up another useful product....
Used to have a Valspar factory by mine in Liverpool years ago. Made some of the best paint ive used. Obviously B & Q own the rights to it now by the look?
Thanks for this, had our downstairs painted in this stuff. Been wondering why our new build smells like cat pee!
I complained to B & Q months ago about this as I painted my kitchen November last year and it still stinks. B&Q would not reimburse me as I didn't have the original receipt. I will be calling them again though as the girl in B&Q thought I was having a laugh.
Does anyone know if this includes their Valspar that is mixed up for original colour?
Stella78

Does anyone know if this includes their Valspar that is mixed up for … Does anyone know if this includes their Valspar that is mixed up for original colour?

that's what we had done so I'd like to know that as well, problem is, if you phone and ask B&Q they'll say no its fine. maybe we just need to wait and see
Thank god! I thought I was cracking up, smells like cat pee in our boys bedroom!! Will be ringing them later!!
These additives are being removed worldwide, as they are toxic and possibly carcinogenic, so not just the EU.

And the ban is sensible. I would prefer not to expose my children and loved ones to the increased risk of cancer due to paint. The manufacturers should reformulate their paint using safer alternatives.
Is this all valsper paint going back how long? I used the offer £1 testers to paint kids room walls different colours
Painted my whole bungalow in this paint just over 2yrs ago no smell went on great & seems hard wearing. The paint was made up while we waited & used within a week or two
Do you need a receipt for this? Or will they be able to check transactions on their system if you can provide the bank statement?
B and q don't own valspar.
Daft question but I bought a tin of this and haven't yet used it. It was mixed in store. How will I know if affected?
Manda_lee

B and q don't own valspar.

Correct. They just own exclusivity to the brand in UK market for a few years.
I've already been refund + extra paint 2 months ago not for the smell but for it peeling on roller application, extra coats and primer (wierd as says primer included!) Sorted this after ringing them for a solution

I now have this issue but can't see then doing anything for me as the paint was effectively free anyway.
Worst paint we have ever used really bad I had a full refund will call again about this now
hass1235 h, 8 m ago

And another EU regulation wrecks up another useful product....

Sucks doesn't it, bloody foreigners coming over here stealing our carcinogens!

The European Chemicals Agency’s (ECHA) recent consultation on plans to declare titanium dioxide (TiO2) as a carcinogen has raised concerns in a number of industries.

The substance has been widely used in industrial and consumer products for decades and has no obvious substitute. But ECHA recently consulted on plans put forward by the French authorities to declare it a respiratory carcinogen under the EU Classification, Labelling and Packaging Regulation.
Painted the whole house in this paint. Actually called a gas engineer out as the smell is so bad and we couldn't pin point it
DrBunker

Sucks doesn't it, bloody foreigners coming over here stealing our … Sucks doesn't it, bloody foreigners coming over here stealing our carcinogens! The European Chemicals Agency’s (ECHA) recent consultation on plans to declare titanium dioxide (TiO2) as a carcinogen has raised concerns in a number of industries.The substance has been widely used in industrial and consumer products for decades and has no obvious substitute. But ECHA recently consulted on plans put forward by the French authorities to declare it a respiratory carcinogen under the EU Classification, Labelling and Packaging Regulation.

Oh awesome. Pretty sure all my Dior foundation contains titanium dioxide oO
We painted are living room at Christmas I there was a terrible smell I was blaming our cat because it smells like cat wee only to find out it's the walls after seven months of it being smelly I will be contacting B&Q again.
AmyWhitham

Thank god! I thought I was cracking up, smells like cat pee in our boys … Thank god! I thought I was cracking up, smells like cat pee in our boys bedroom!! Will be ringing them later!!

Same as our hallway
Stella78

Does anyone know if this includes their Valspar that is mixed up for … Does anyone know if this includes their Valspar that is mixed up for original colour?

Yes ours was and smelt with 24 hours, devastated
I've been emailing back and forth with them all day - they want receipts for every tub bought. I have been using Valspar for 3+ years, my home is top to bottom Valspar, right down too the woodwork. I've been blaming cats for years. Even though I have 17 tubs of Valspar pain, all with stickers stating where they were purchased along with the date, batch number, base type etc they are still being difficult
Which valspar do you get the problem with. I've just paint my full living room in the more expensive trade version. Is it the lower grade one that has the issues.
Is there a particular batch of these paints or is it all of their paints?
I have emailed them to see if the batch I have painted with is affected
Brilliant I paid a decorater to paint my house and supply the paint he recomended this paint...ive been noticing a wee smell in the house..urghhhh waste of 2k then
Are they really paying out for re-decoration? Our lounge has this smell, we even thought it was gas at one point & called out the emergency gas leak people!
I painted my bedroom wall with this and can't smell cat wee even though I have two cats. I had read many good reviews about the paint but personally I found it awful to apply. Just a quick thought for those with a b&q membership card, they email you a copy of your receipts so even if you don't have the original, you should still have an e copy.
Roll on Brexit
For those that are having trouble with proving that you brought the paint, surely they have you on the computer system.
When we brought our paint, I had to give some details for the computer records so next time I wanted some Valspar paint they new what batch and colour we used last time.
We didn't use the service after that, we went back to a well known brand.
Dammit my house smelt of cat pee the other day......turned out the cat had peed on the bath mat
There are only certain batches affected and all tubs have now had additives physically added to store stock to prevent this occurring again.
FYI - Valspar is an American company, it IS NOT owned by B&Q and it is not the name used for own brand paint.
It's a product sold through B&Q the same as thousands of other products .
reddit2 h, 44 m ago

Roll on Brexit

Repeated for the hard of reading:

Sucks doesn't it, bloody foreigners coming over here stealing our carcinogens!

The European Chemicals Agency’s (ECHA) recent consultation on plans to declare titanium dioxide (TiO2) as a carcinogen has raised concerns in a number of industries.

he substance has been widely used in industrial and consumer products for decades and has no obvious substitute. But ECHA recently consulted on plans put forward by the French authorities to declare it a respiratory carcinogen under the EU Classification, Labelling and Packaging Regulation
emribena

Apparently takes a while and only on direct heat / sunlight or porous … Apparently takes a while and only on direct heat / sunlight or porous surfaces. Maybe get some of the sealer they are mentioning or ring the advice line - your batch may not be affected.

Does anybody know which paints/codes are affected?
My home is painted with valspar and I have no problem. Hope people's houses are checked before any compensation is given out as there are always some waiting to join the band wagon of Freebies.
suebrew1960

My home is painted with valspar and I have no problem. Hope people's … My home is painted with valspar and I have no problem. Hope people's houses are checked before any compensation is given out as there are always some waiting to join the band wagon of Freebies.

Is that something that will play on your mind?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions