Expired

B&Q don’t take Apple/Android Pay or even Contactless

Found 12th Jun
How is it that pretty much every store out there now takes Apple Pay (many with no upper limit) and contactless is accepted any and everywhere but B&Q are still in the dark ages.

Only discovered it as I forgot my wallet when i popped to the store first thing this morning.

Not normally an issue as I just use my phone but not today.
Community Updates
MiscAppleB&QAndroid
Top comments
jouster9 m ago

I hardly ever use cash now. Once Apple paycash comes out I doubt I’ll e …I hardly ever use cash now. Once Apple paycash comes out I doubt I’ll ever carry it. Can’t think of a time over ever needed cash lately.

If you are buying Apple products you probably have very little of it anyway!
ASongOfFireAndIce12th Jun

You joking I haven’t been to one shop where does except it yet! Plastic is …You joking I haven’t been to one shop where does except it yet! Plastic is best!

Cash is still king for me.
46 Comments
You joking I haven’t been to one shop where does except it yet! Plastic is best!

You joking I haven’t been to one shop where does except it yet! Plastic is …You joking I haven’t been to one shop where does except it yet! Plastic is best!

You haven’t been to one shop that takes it? Really? Where do you shop?

I’ve literally used Apple Pay in every store for the past 6 months
Pretty Much most places but haven’t seen it! I’ve had i phone 6 years too
Next don't accept contactless.

Pretty Much most places but haven’t seen it! I’ve had i phone 6 years too

Where do you do your weekly shop. Every supermarket accepts Apple Pay
Uranus12th Jun

Wow. How is that possible either?

I don’t shop at Next hence not realising that.
Edited by: "jouster" 12th Jun

I went to b&q last night and I agree it seems strange they don't do contactless, seems like a chore putting the card in and entering pin when most of the time it's a quick swipe. Although I guess there's quite a lot of cost in replacing all the card readers, I was also thinking the store looks quite run down and messy as if they're cutting back expenditure.. Don't use apple/android pay myself but I agree, many shops do now accept it.
fanpages2 m ago

I hardly ever use cash now. Once Apple paycash comes out I doubt I’ll ever carry it.

Can’t think of a time over ever needed cash lately.
jouster9 m ago

I hardly ever use cash now. Once Apple paycash comes out I doubt I’ll e …I hardly ever use cash now. Once Apple paycash comes out I doubt I’ll ever carry it. Can’t think of a time over ever needed cash lately.

If you are buying Apple products you probably have very little of it anyway!
I imagine most b and Q transactions exceed the £30 threshold so they don't feel that it is worth it
Screwfix does support contactless etc
fanpages4 m ago

If you are buying Apple products you probably have very little of it …If you are buying Apple products you probably have very little of it anyway!

Haha. You know Android product aren’t free right?
njpugh903 m ago

I imagine most b and Q transactions exceed the £30 threshold so they don't …I imagine most b and Q transactions exceed the £30 threshold so they don't feel that it is worth itScrewfix does support contactless etc

But Apple Pay doesn’t have limits anymore. At least not for outlets with most recent software.

I often pop into B&Q for the odd few bits and rarely spend more than £30 and I’ve seen others pop in for the odd thing.
fanpages13 m ago

If you are buying Apple products you probably have very little of it …If you are buying Apple products you probably have very little of it anyway!

My IPhone Contract is cheaper than My Partners Samsung many people I know it’s the same story!
Uranus12th Jun

That’s one place I deffo shop at
jouster10 m ago

Haha. You know Android product aren’t free right?

I can quite easily get by without a Smartphone, so the operating system doesn't bother me at all.

That said, I have had one Apple device (an iPhone 3GS) & I was happy when that stopped working.
jouster35 m ago

Where do you do your weekly shop. Every supermarket accepts Apple Pay

Asda I didn’t know I just use card! I kind of done like getting my phone out! Don’t know who’s gonna nick it ! People are too flash getting phones out it just screams steal me! It shouldn’t be that way but it is sadly!
fanpages8 m ago

I can quite easily get by without a Smartphone, so the operating system …I can quite easily get by without a Smartphone, so the operating system doesn't bother me at all.That said, I have had one Apple device (an iPhone 3GS) & I was happy when that stopped working.

So you need to get in front of a computer to use HotUKDeals. Old school

Asda I didn’t know I just use card! I kind of done like getting my phone o …Asda I didn’t know I just use card! I kind of done like getting my phone out! Don’t know who’s gonna nick it ! People are too flash getting phones out it just screams steal me! It shouldn’t be that way but it is sadly!

Depends where you shop I guess. I’ve never felt at risk with my phone out. Certainly not likely to get a phone stolen out of your hand standing in a shop whilst paying.
jouster3 m ago

So you need to get in front of a computer to use HotUKDeals. Old school

I don't need to be here at all.

If I am already using a PC, then I will visit the site, but no, I don't use "apps" when web sites exist.
fanpages6 m ago

I don't need to be here at all.If I am already using a PC, then I will …I don't need to be here at all.If I am already using a PC, then I will visit the site, but no, I don't use "apps" when web sites exist.

Fair enough.
B&Q are probably hanging in till
Homebase evaporates. Their stores are dingy run down messes at the best of times. Though Homebase does trump them at that.

At the same time, yes most purchases will be over £30. Maybe with Apple Pay lifting the limit, they’ll see more demand and relent.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 12th Jun
The Perfume Shop is the same
njpugh901 h, 32 m ago

I imagine most b and Q transactions exceed the £30 threshold so they don't …I imagine most b and Q transactions exceed the £30 threshold so they don't feel that it is worth itScrewfix does support contactless etc

companies that aren’t updating is because of the cost, not cheap to update all of the terminals that won’t just accept a software update.
Edited by: "eslick" 12th Jun
eslick1 m ago

Limit is supposedly £50 on Apple Pay now. companies that aren’t updating is …Limit is supposedly £50 on Apple Pay now. companies that aren’t updating is because of the cost, not cheap to update all of the terminals that won’t just accept a software update.

There is no limit on apple pay.
Aldnoah18 m ago

thanks, thought it had been upped but you are correct
Aldnoah24 m ago

There is no limit on Apple Pay when stores have updated their software to be fully ApplePay compliant. Otherwise the limit is restricted to a standard contactless payment which I believe is still £30.

Anywhere that has an Apple Pay logo displayed has no limit, all other stores are just accepting Apple Pay as a contactless payment
eslick50 m ago

companies that aren’t updating is because of the cost, not cheap to update …companies that aren’t updating is because of the cost, not cheap to update all of the terminals that won’t just accept a software update.

I appreciate that but the guy at the time said that all of the terminal are contactless enabled ones but they just haven’t updated them.
was in shanghai last week and on the metro we had ppl come through carriages selling souvenirs and they took contactless wepay via mobiles
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 12th Jun
Infractionboi6 m ago

was in shanghai last week and on the metro we had ppl come through …was in shanghai last week and on the metro we had ppl come through carriages selling souvenirs and they took contactless wepay via mobiles

I’ve seen a story of beggars having terminals in some cities now.
At least they will have to replace it by 2020...
I've also had this issue as well in b&q
arjanvirdi2 m ago

At least they will have to replace it by 2020...I've also had this issue …At least they will have to replace it by 2020...I've also had this issue as well in b&q

Ah yes. Forgot they’re making Contactless compulsory by then.

Happy days. So my days of needing cash on me ever again are numbered
Not sure if its nationwide but my local Vodafone store is a cashless store
Uranus12th Jun

That’s because they are a completely rubbish retailer.
Pay cash, ultimately you pay extra gross to use Apple/Android Pay or even Contactless.
splender24 m ago

Pay cash, ultimately you pay extra gross to use Apple/Android Pay or even …Pay cash, ultimately you pay extra gross to use Apple/Android Pay or even Contactless.

I don’t pay anything to use Apple Pay. The business is paying that fee in order to use the facility.

I pay the price advertised and that hasn’t gone up in real terms since Apple Pay was introduced.

Same goes for any card as their are always fees involved for the retailer but they always accept them for the convenience of using that method.
cmdr_elito31 m ago

That’s because they are a completely rubbish retailer.

Can’t disagree with that. I’ve haven’t bought clothes there in 25 years and can’t see that changing anytime soon
splender1 h, 5 m ago

Pay cash, ultimately you pay extra gross to use Apple/Android Pay or even …Pay cash, ultimately you pay extra gross to use Apple/Android Pay or even Contactless.

Not being facetious..... Why? Please explain?

There are no bank charges. It is safer than Contactless.
splender2 h, 0 m ago

You are paying extra to use cash.
There's employees time to handle cash, the business has to pay insurance to have cash on site as that makes them a target to theft.
They have to pay a company to collect and deal with paying their cash into the bank.
They have to pay for change to be delivered to their store. Cash isn't free for a business to use at all. And that's before thinking about how many counterfeit notes people use in there that they miss
njpugh9058 m ago

You are paying extra to use cash.There's employees time to handle cash, …You are paying extra to use cash.There's employees time to handle cash, the business has to pay insurance to have cash on site as that makes them a target to theft. They have to pay a company to collect and deal with paying their cash into the bank.They have to pay for change to be delivered to their store. Cash isn't free for a business to use at all. And that's before thinking about how many counterfeit notes people use in there that they miss

I know that you know this. You are not comparing and contrasting, what cashless total end to end cost costed with cash total end to end cost?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions