EXPIRED

B&Q Price match and Screwfix direct?

My old B&D battery drill is on its last legs, so I am in the market for a replacement. Screwfix have a deal on of a Ryobi drill, two batteries, charger, tool bag, and free impact wrench for £99.99 (screwfix.com/pro…age?source=aw). That's a good price for sure, but B&Q stock the same kit but not as cheap - so with their price match +10% I thought I'd have a bargain.

So I printed out the Screwfix page, and trundled down to my local B&Q. Showed them the print-out and they thought about it a bit. One of the guys even mentioned that it looked like a superb deal, but doubted they'd honour a price match. Had a word with a manager who said, nope, wouldn't price match as it was a bundle deal, and they don't price match Screwfix anyway as they're an internet dealer only. OK, I'll accept that they won't price match a bundle that they don't explicitly stock (although they could have put it together, they have all the individual parts), but I wasn't sure about not matching against Screwfix. I pointed out that Screwfix do have an outlet only a couple of miles away. 'Ah, but that's trade only, you wouldn't be able to just walk in and buy from them' the manager said. Rubbish, as that's just what I ended up doing.

So, should B&Q match against Screwfix or not?

8 Comments

Banned

Yes they should thats ridiculous, get trading standards on to the case, I'm sick of these big corps trying to pull the wool over the eyes of consumers

B & Q and Screwfix are owned by the same company. I wouldn't bother with trading standards as its more of an advertising standards issue and most of the companies that pricematch have lots of exceptions tucked away in the small print. Just use the Screwfix outlet - they are much cheaper sometimes 4x less than B &Q (12" flexible tap connectors are £6.50 in my local B&Q and £1.40 in my nearest Screwfix outlet)

Banned

When did B&Q buy out Screwfix

A while back - several years maybe? I believe the guy who sold Screwfix just went away and set up the exact same business again and now runs/owns Toolstation...

Banned

gari189;2753755

A while back - several years maybe? I believe the guy who sold Screwfix … A while back - several years maybe? I believe the guy who sold Screwfix just went away and set up the exact same business again and now runs/owns Toolstation...

Cool, I'll check it out.

Why the hell are Screwfix out pricing B&Q then

Foosball Chum;2753876

Cool, I'll check it out.Why the hell are Screwfix out pricing B&Q then

because there essentially a mail order business so have very few overheads
they have only recently began opening small outlets.

Original Poster

gari189;2753679

B & Q and Screwfix are owned by the same company. I wouldn't bother with … B & Q and Screwfix are owned by the same company. I wouldn't bother with trading standards as its more of an advertising standards issue and most of the companies that pricematch have lots of exceptions tucked away in the small print. Just use the Screwfix outlet - they are much cheaper sometimes 4x less than B &Q (12" flexible tap connectors are £6.50 in my local B&Q and £1.40 in my nearest Screwfix outlet)

Yeah, normally I would just buy straight from Screwfix. Thing is, I worked out that a similar set from B&Q would be nearer £200, so with the 10% price promise I would have got it for around £90.

Original Poster

Foosball Chum;2753728

When did B&Q buy out Screwfix

It's not so much a case of B&Q buying Screwfix, more a case of B&Qs parent company KingFisher buying Screwfix.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona1843
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!1920
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183519
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764047

See more discussions