Groups

Brake pedal moves

what is the problem with my brakes.

whilst braking the pedal moves, seems like there is a bulge (as you would have on a tyre) but on the brakes as pedal moves at set intervals.

any help/ info will be appreciated.

14 Comments

Banned

Take it to a garage.

Not quite sure what you mean. What car/bike do you have. Is it you can physically see a bulge in the brake line. Is the braking spongy.

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Not quite sure what you mean. What car/bike do you have. Is it you can … Not quite sure what you mean. What car/bike do you have. Is it you can physically see a bulge in the brake line. Is the braking spongy.

Car is a focus. Whilst braking i'd expect the pedal to stay in one position, however it bounces back at a certain point if that makes sense

take it to a garage slowly and carefully! sound like the brakes or servo are pumping as the servo power assistance comes and goes! and you are feeling this as feedback or kickback through the pedal

Could be an ABS problem but sounds like you definitely need it looking at by a trusted mechanic as there are a few other causes such as warped rotors.

Would it be the rate of wheel rotation?
    It may be a disc that's out of true.

Have you had to brake really hard to a stop at some point?
    I've read something about an effect where a "footprint" of the brake shoe is left on the disc, making it feel like it's out of true.
    Find a clear road, and several times brake firmly from 50 (or 60 if that's the limit) down to 30. You do not want to lock wheels (no ABS) or force ABS operation, so more than a light trail of the brakes, but a lot less than an emergency stop!

warped disc, get it skimmed or replaced
    Edited by: "moneybag" 22nd Nov 2016

Doesn't really matter what the issue is. Just involve a professional to offer an opinion / rectify.

Warped disc

paddymcn

Warped disc

​No such thing on a normal car

mattsokolinski

​No such thing on a normal car

Correct, It's a myth. Look in the brake reservoir, Is it clean and on the max mark.

Worn pads making the abs kick in?

I guess the brakes failed as the op hasn't been back to reply. RIP :P

markvirgo

I guess the brakes failed as the op hasn't been back to reply. RIP :P

I dont think he wants to break his habit. Member for 6 years 0 deals and 7 comments.(_;)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      2. Biscuit addiction1231
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?813

See more discussions