Brake pipes

Found 11th Sep 2012
For the first time my thirteen year old Honda Civic failed its MOT today on the rear brake pipes. This I suppose is reasonable for an old car, but my question is: would it be better to replace front and rear pipes as a precaution or just go ahead with the rear ones? I am hoping to get at least another year out of the car but can't decide if it is worth paying the extra money to have all the brake pipes replaced.
I'd be interested to see what you'd do, except for 'I'd scrap the old banger and buy a decent car' comments that is
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
Inb4 filth! X)

What has the garage advised? If they've said nothing, it don't need doing!

was there an advisory on the front pipes?

If not I'd leave them
guv

Inb4 filth! X)What has the garage advised? If they've said nothing, it … Inb4 filth! X)What has the garage advised? If they've said nothing, it don't need doing!

They said it was only the rear pipes, but I am probably being a bit over cautious about the front ones going. Just wondering if it will save me money in the long run to have them all done at once.
slamdunkin

was there an advisory on the front pipes?If not I'd leave them

No, nothing else wrong on the car. This was true last year, so obviously things can change in twelve months.
Fitting them as independent jobs won't take any longer than doing them together, but the system will need bleeding for each job if done separately....so you might save a few minutes labour time
Edited by: "slamdunkin" 11th Sep 2012
Just do the rear ones. If the front were dodgy in any way, the garage would advise you.
slamdunkin

Fitting them as independent jobs won't take any longer than doing them … Fitting them as independent jobs won't take any longer than doing them together, but the system will need bleeding for each job if done separately....so you might save a few minutes labour time

Thanks. I didn't think of that.

Looks like I'll just do the back ones.
I'd scrap the old banger and buy a decent car
just ask how much extra it will be and then decide
Rear brake pipes or rear brake flexis?

If you are competent with a spanner & aren't afraid to get your hands dirty then you can replace them yourself.
unquestioned

Rear brake pipes or rear brake flexis?If you are competent with a spanner … Rear brake pipes or rear brake flexis?If you are competent with a spanner & aren't afraid to get your hands dirty then you can replace them yourself.

The pipes.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I am afraid of the consequences of my actions - so no I don't think I am competent enough. I did all this in a mechanics course and know how easy it is to do, but don't feel that I want to take the risk of getting it wrong.
If it's the solid pipes then you will need to get new copper ones made up as you can't get the original ones anymore. To do it yourself you will need copper brake pipe, flare spanners and a brake pipe flaring kit, new brake fluid and use the old fixings or get someone else to fit em. In terms of cost it depends on how long they are and whether they run the length of the car in which case the exhaust may have to be dropped etc or if they have a join a little further down the line so only a small bit is needed.

Sometimes the fuel tank can obscure the pipes but normally there are ways of getting round this without dropping it.

If it's failed then they will need to be done for a new mot OR you can get it tested somewhere else as it is the MOT tester interpretation of how rusty they are. Obviously if they are leaking then it would be a definite fail and would be deemed too dangerous to take away and you would have noticed anyway with a reduced brake pedal so i am guessing they are rusted up but to what extent it is hard to say without seeing them.

Edited by: "burstlikeabubble" 11th Sep 2012
burstlikeabubble

If it's the solid pipes then you will need to get new copper ones made up … If it's the solid pipes then you will need to get new copper ones made up as you can't get the original ones anymore. To do it yourself you will need copper brake pipe, flare spanners and a brake pipe flaring kit, new brake fluid and use the old fixings or get someone else to fit em. In terms of cost it depends on how long they are and whether they run the length of the car in which case the exhaust may have to be dropped etc or if they have a join a little further down the line so only a small bit is needed.Sometimes the fuel tank can obscure the pipes but normally there are ways of getting round this without dropping it. If it's failed then they will need to be done for a new mot OR you can get it tested somewhere else as it is the MOT tester interpretation of how rusty they are. Obviously if they are leaking then it would be a definite fail and would be deemed too dangerous to take away and you would have noticed anyway with a reduced brake pedal so i am guessing they are rusted up but to what extent it is hard to say without seeing them.You're kidding with that comment, right? Knowing they are rusted and would fail an MOT, would you really want another tester to perhaps overlook the pipes for another 12 months? What if they burstlikeabubble?

probably solid pipes (they were in my 97 civic for the rear)
One of my previous cars failed on corrosive brake pipes, I let them sort it, All they did was hammerite them lol..!!! Wasn't impressed but was selling the car anyway.
No joke when this happened to my dads car he just used a paint which was tar like and panted over it. He had 10 year old mercedes c180 classic. Most of the guys in the garages just say they need fully replaced but in actual fact they don't all my dad had was a wee bit of rusty cracking but no full damage. I think you can buy the paint from halfords saved my dad a lot of money but he did crash it into a parked car 2 years later I loved that car.
csiman

probably solid pipes (they were in my 97 civic for the rear)

You are right. I am having copper ones fitted at the moment. Luckily a mechanic friend of mine took the job on, so a good deal cheaper than the garage. Anyway the retest will be the evidence I suppose.
Brillo pad anti rust liquid paint..
Thanks for your imput everyone, though I have not followed some of the advice offered I do appreciate the effort. BTW. I just realised that it looks like I have had the car for 13 years, in fact this is the fourth year. The previous owner kept all documents about the car and kept the car itself in almost immaculate condition. I don't think he drove it much as it still only has just over 50.000 on the clock - hence it not failing MOTs until now.
"You're kidding with that comment, right? Knowing they are rusted and would fail an MOT, would you really want another tester to perhaps overlook the pipes for another 12 months? What if they burstlikeabubble?"

That's not what i am saying.

I have seen cars fail on rusty brake pipes only for another 2 mechanics i know who are testers to look at them and say that they shouldn't have failed, maybe advisory at most. A little bit of surface rust is not the same as a rusty pipe that is going to burst.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants