Expired

Brand new car paint sealant advice needed

Found 2nd Jan 2013
I am about to buy a new car but do not want to pay £200 for a paint protector. I have seen Supagard sponges on EBay cheap. Could anyone recommend a sealer that will last ages and is easy to apply
Community Updates
35 Comments
Car wax & sealant. Don't bother with supagard.
Banned
Supaguard kits cost dealers £30 max. It's a doddle to do yourself so buy it off eBay if you really must have it

As fatso says, though, it's a load of crap
fattyuk

Example of a "sealent"

Shut up will you fat. In my eyes, anyone who can afford a new car should have the sense to know what a car wax and sealant is. And what is a rip off. i.e supagard.
the upholstery and carpet protector sprays are great we use them on new rugs and soft furnishings
Thread closed
I work as a car valeter, Supaguard are just products to get you to part with money, if you want to protect your cars paintwork just use a good quality wax and use micro fibre cloths to take it off.
fattyuk

You do realise I paint cars for a living yes oO

And yet you can't spell sealant correctly?

fattyuk

Example of a "sealent"

fattyuk

Well said abit of g10 does the job!

You paint cars for a living and use G10? Right ok no problem then. Remind me never to let you near my paintwork.
fattyuk

to op … to op :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farecla-G10-500-500ml-Fine-compound/dp/B003V3ME8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357164142&sr=8-1and some micro fibre cloths.wax onwax off[insert karate kid picture here]

Great for cutting, not for sealing.
fattyuk

Yes Farecla products are 1 of the best in the trade oO

G10 is a fine cutting compound, tell me how that would help in sealing the car paintwork?
Banned
Aircanman, I think you must have the hots for fatty because you seem to stalk him, if you followed me around here like you do him I might have to involve the police as I would be genuinely scared
justme2012

Aircanman, I think you must have the hots for fatty because you seem to … Aircanman, I think you must have the hots for fatty because you seem to stalk him, if you followed me around here like you do him I might have to involve the police as I would be genuinely scared

Lol, think what you will, but this fatty person has done my head in since he decided to be part of this site again, always saying the complete opposite to the correct answer, purely to wind people up. He is a goon.
Original Poster
Is this not for renovating cars and not for new ones

amazon.co.uk/Far…8-1

and some micro fibre cloths.

wax on

wax off

[insert karate kid picture here][/quote]
Edited by: "supplyuk" 2nd Jan 2013
fattyuk

Fine cutting finishing wax oO

It's not a wax you moron. And you know it, don't try to backtrack now.
OP, good car garages will do a quick wash and polish before you take delivery, but when you get it home, try some Collinite 476s or Autoglym HD Wax, for under £20 a tub, you can get a good wax job on the paintwork, this is fine for most people, but if you want to go the next level, look at sealants which apply in a similar way to wax....

Sealants
supplyuk

Is this not for renovating cars and not for new … Is this not for renovating cars and not for new oneshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Farecla-G10-500-500ml-Fine-compound/dp/B003V3ME8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357164142&sr=8-1and some micro fibre cloths.wax onwax off[insert karate kid picture here]

[/quote]

Farecla G10 is a fine cutting compound, usually used with a machine polisher after a higher grit compound has been used, basically to renovate old paintwork, or poor paint jobs (fattyuk) - so I would advise not putting this on your brand new car.
fattyuk

Farecla G10 is a fine cutting compound, usually used with a machine … Farecla G10 is a fine cutting compound, usually used with a machine polisher after a higher grit compound has been used, basically to renovate old paintwork, or poor paint jobs (fattyuk) - so I would advise not putting this on your brand new car.

Fatty stop deleting posts and trying to make what I say look out of context, you clearly don't know what you are talking about so move on.

Edited by: "aircanman" 2nd Jan 2013
The G10 compound I use at work is for restoring faded paintwork and removing fine scratches depending on the grade of compound, I don`t think it seals the paintwork.
op, you should have negotiated it in as part of the deal.
Anybody used X1 Shine & Seal? Seems to be getting rave reviews in mags but seems to have come out of nowhere?
Sprograt

The G10 compound I use at work is for restoring faded paintwork and … The G10 compound I use at work is for restoring faded paintwork and removing fine scratches depending on the grade of compound, I don`t think it seals the paintwork.

G10 is a cutting compound, not a sealer, you are actually stripping away paint or laquer with it.

I use Mer because it's awesome.
unquestioned

G10 is a cutting compound, not a sealer, you are actually stripping away … G10 is a cutting compound, not a sealer, you are actually stripping away paint or laquer with it.I use Mer because it's awesome.

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to car care products, lets face it, car waxing is a pain in the butt, but has to be done!
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Anybody used X1 Shine & Seal? Seems to be getting rave reviews in mags … Anybody used X1 Shine & Seal? Seems to be getting rave reviews in mags but seems to have come out of nowhere?

Never used it, always weary of this kind of thing though, just like some of the JML stuff, scratch remover is actually scratch filler, just like the meguiars scratch X.
aircanman

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to car care products, … Everyone has their own preference when it comes to car care products, lets face it, car waxing is a pain in the butt, but has to be done!

Which is why I use Mer, it goes on easy, leaves a good finish, is long lasting & not incredibly expensive. I've used alot of different kinds, I found this to be the best all rounder. My car was always shiny.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Anybody used X1 Shine & Seal? Seems to be getting rave reviews in mags … Anybody used X1 Shine & Seal? Seems to be getting rave reviews in mags but seems to have come out of nowhere?

It sounds very similar to one I use is called Showroom Shine which contains Carnauba Wax, the only place I have seen it is Ideal World shopping channel £19.99 for 2 one litre bottles,and 1 bottle can wax around 8-10 cars depending on the size of the vehicle.I would recommend it as it doesn't leave chalky deposits and you can use it on glass,plastic,rubber and its very easy to remove with micro fibre cloths.
aircanman

Never used it, always weary of this kind of thing though, just like some … Never used it, always weary of this kind of thing though, just like some of the JML stuff, scratch remover is actually scratch filler, just like the meguiars scratch X.

While I try to look after the paint work it gets far more attention in the summer than winter. Might wait to see if any real world reviews surface.
have p21s carnauba wax, various sonus and meguires products and a porter cable polisher in my garage. shame i'm a lazy get these days...
Sprograt

It sounds very similar to one I use is called Showroom Shine which … It sounds very similar to one I use is called Showroom Shine which contains Carnauba Wax, the only place I have seen it is Ideal World shopping channel £19.99 for 2 one litre bottles,and 1 bottle can wax around 8-10 cars depending on the size of the vehicle.I would recommend it as it doesn't leave chalky deposits and you can use it on glass,plastic,rubber and its very easy to remove with micro fibre cloths.

Interesting as the X1 comes in two 250ml bottles can does one car. It says it lasts 3-5 years. Then just wash it as normal.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

How much does the 2 bottles of X1 cost, if you don`t mind me … How much does the 2 bottles of X1 cost, if you don`t mind me asking.Interesting as the X1 comes in two 250ml bottles can does one car. It says it lasts 3-5 years. Then just wash it as normal.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

While I try to look after the paint work it gets far more attention in … While I try to look after the paint work it gets far more attention in the summer than winter. Might wait to see if any real world reviews surface.

Yer I did mine back in October, wont touch it now until the spring.
Original Poster
The Autoglym products also seem to have good reviews and are really cheap.
There seems to be a real variation in prices in these sealants

Good advice from everyone though
supplyuk

The Autoglym products also seem to have good reviews and are really … The Autoglym products also seem to have good reviews and are really cheap.There seems to be a real variation in prices in these sealantsGood advice from everyone though

Autoglym are not badly priced, and have been leading products for many years, but they are run of the mill compared to some stuff you can buy these days.
Sprograt

£34.50 for the two bottles with a microfiber cloth for applying. HERE is the website.
unquestioned

Which is why I use Mer, it goes on easy, leaves a good finish, is long … Which is why I use Mer, it goes on easy, leaves a good finish, is long lasting & not incredibly expensive. I've used alot of different kinds, I found this to be the best all rounder. My car was always shiny.

The best way to see how effective mer is is to look at the static caravans on the coastal areas, my parents had a static from new and used mer yearly, Only about 500 yards from the beach but when they got rid at 15 year old the paintwork looked new. That stuff is popular with caravaners for a good reason.
I think is depending of your expectation and what you need. To be honest I'm using menzerna or blackfire sealants. The best is to check few and see the results by yourself. For example right now I'm waiting to see the results after my friend will try borgeous nano composite crystal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants