Brand new Merc , condensation in Headlight but Mercedes don't want to know

Found 1st Jan 2015
Hi, after some advice, got a brand new Merc 7 weeks Ago and had condensation and water droplets in the headlamp. I was hoping it would go but didn't. I took it to Mercedes who told me this was normal and sent me away. I disagreed but they sent me packing.
Is this normal or not
Community Updates
AskMercedes
57 Comments
Post photos in this these ones
mrwhitelabel

Post photos in this these ones

What he said
If your not happy I suggest you take your car to another Merc dealership and see if they take on board the work as a chargeable repair. If so there's a conflict in responses. If the second dealership says no need for the cost repair as it's normal i would tend to believe their story. If on the other hand they are prepared to do the repair I would make some excuse to get a quotation and waltz straight back into your original dealership being polite but firm.
Cant seem to get photos to go on, copied the image file on photobucket but not happening
supplyuk

Cant seem to get photos to go on, copied the image file on photobucket … Cant seem to get photos to go on, copied the image file on photobucket but not happening

You have to post it in the comment box. Pics won't show in the opening post.
Edited by: "deeky" 1st Jan 2015
Cheers
I've re-hosted your pics so they don't link to your photobucket account.
I know this is of no real help to you, but I've had two Mercs in the past and have had problems with both and Mercedes were absolutely useless at sorting warranty problems. Is there another MB dealer in your area you could try?
I would suggest putting all your complaints in writing AND email (as they're very good at loosing letters and denying that you have contacted them), tell them exactly what you want rectified and a reasonable time scale to complete the work otherwise you will be having the work done yourself and be billing them accordingly for both the work and your time.
You may have noticed I'm not a great Mercedes fan, and I wouldn't trust them with a wheelie bin let alone a car!
Dyslexic_Dog

I know this is of no real help to you, but I've had two Mercs in the past … I know this is of no real help to you, but I've had two Mercs in the past and have had problems with both and Mercedes were absolutely useless at sorting warranty problems. Is there another MB dealer in your area you could try?I would suggest putting all your complaints in writing AND email (as they're very good at loosing letters and denying that you have contacted them), tell them exactly what you want rectified and a reasonable time scale to complete the work otherwise you will be having the work done yourself and be billing them accordingly for both the work and your time.You may have noticed I'm not a great Mercedes fan, and I wouldn't trust them with a wheelie bin let alone a car!

I think I have finally noticed that Mercedes customer service is not good. It started from day one when I went to buy one in Cardiff dealership, they didn't want to know.
I eventually done it all on the Net and got from Mercedes in Derby
supplyuk

It started from day one when I went to buy one in Cardiff dealership, … It started from day one when I went to buy one in Cardiff dealership, they didn't want to know.

I'm surprised that didn't put you off. I was trying to arrange a test drive at Subaru. Twice they promised to phone me with arrangements, twice they let me down. I never bought a Subaru.
Try contacting their twitter cs team with the photos and see what they say.
Seems like bad seals in manufacture for a new car too not great.

Was it brand new ?
Did you pay cash or finance ?

Dealers do tend to treat direct customers better than those who sourced elsewhere
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 1st Jan 2015
I would certainly say that is an issue. My BMW failed its MOT due to condensation in the headlight and because it is a sealed unit they are not cheap to sort out.

I am guessing the Merc may be similar and it will only get worse over time.

Edited by: "NEtech" 1st Jan 2015
supplyuk

I think I have finally noticed that Mercedes customer service is not … I think I have finally noticed that Mercedes customer service is not good. It started from day one when I went to buy one in Cardiff dealership, they didn't want to know. I eventually done it all on the Net and got from Mercedes in Derby

​Ooh dear, sorry to be a harbinger of doom but the dealer you mention you bought your car from is part of the same group that I purchased one of mine from.
mrwhitelabel

Try contacting their twitter cs team with the photos and see what they … Try contacting their twitter cs team with the photos and see what they say.Seems like bad seals in manufacture for a new car too not great.Was it brand new ?Did you pay cash or finance ?Dealers do tend to treat direct customers better than those who sourced elsewhere

Brand new CLA AMG SPORT SHOOTING BRAKE, they said it wasn't a sealed unit
Dyslexic_Dog

​Ooh dear, sorry to be a harbinger of doom but the dealer you mention you … ​Ooh dear, sorry to be a harbinger of doom but the dealer you mention you bought your car from is part of the same group that I purchased one of mine from.

Well that made me laugh
there is a problem with the lights and do need to be sorted.
That really shouldn't be happening to a 6 month old car. Suppose theres not much you can do, as they'll probably tell you to go away.
1) If there's a crack in the plastic due to tear and wear then it's not their problem.
2) If it's a faulty seal causing water to leak in then it's their problem if vehicle in warranty.

Either case, bit surprised as that's not Mercedes usual standard of service, they're usually really good. I frequent Mercedes Benz Park Royal and Heathrow. Both have fantastic service and want to ensure you're happy.

Just noticed you bought it from Derby, strongly suggest worth popping in for a second opinion from Nottingham branch. Bought an ML from them when lived there for few years and was very happy with their aftercare and service.
Edited by: "a3lawy" 1st Jan 2015
have you tried a hair dryer to dry it out completely then see if it comes back?
In the manual it says the condensation should evaporate after a while the car has been running ?
If its not getting any worse then there may be a good deal on the unit so it never dries out. It heats up when lights are on and then condenses on the lense when cooling. If so take the bulb out and use a hairdryer (as suggested before) to heat through the bulb port first to heat up the air inside first and then heat the lense for an extended period. Now put hairdryer on cold setting and give it a quick blast through the bulb port to exit and hot air left. Put bulb back in and seal up.

If then it happens again there will be a leak via a crack between lense and reflector or through the wheelarch access/bulb cover which they are obliged to investigate under warranty. Video of getting in.

Had this issue with a Polo a few years back.
deeky

I'm surprised that didn't put you off. I was trying to arrange a test … I'm surprised that didn't put you off. I was trying to arrange a test drive at Subaru. Twice they promised to phone me with arrangements, twice they let me down. I never bought a Subaru.

They promised?
dmcmsn

That really shouldn't be happening to a 6 month old car. Suppose theres … That really shouldn't be happening to a 6 month old car. Suppose theres not much you can do, as they'll probably tell you to go away.

It is 6 weeks old, been happening from day one, I have been waiting to see if it would dry out
a3lawy

1) If there's a crack in the plastic due to tear and wear then it's not … 1) If there's a crack in the plastic due to tear and wear then it's not their problem.2) If it's a faulty seal causing water to leak in then it's their problem if vehicle in warranty.Either case, bit surprised as that's not Mercedes usual standard of service, they're usually really good. I frequent Mercedes Benz Park Royal and Heathrow. Both have fantastic service and want to ensure you're happy. Just noticed you bought it from Derby, strongly suggest worth popping in for a second opinion from Nottingham branch. Bought an ML from them when lived there for few years and was very happy with their aftercare and service.

Bought it from Derby but delivered on a low loader to Cardif Area. I did try and buy one from Cardiff but after popping in twice and was ignored or poor service I didn't bother
sowotsdis

have you tried a hair dryer to dry it out completely then see if it comes … have you tried a hair dryer to dry it out completely then see if it comes back?

I will try that, I havnt even opened the bonnet yet
Tankman

In the manual it says the condensation should evaporate after a while the … In the manual it says the condensation should evaporate after a while the car has been running ?

It's been 6 weeks already and seems worse. I will take a look inside the bonnet if it ever stops raining. To be honest, I don't even know where the bonnet release is
GAVINLEWISHUKD

If its not getting any worse then there may be a good deal on the unit so … If its not getting any worse then there may be a good deal on the unit so it never dries out. It heats up when lights are on and then condenses on the lense when cooling. If so take the bulb out and use a hairdryer (as suggested before) to heat through the bulb port first to heat up the air inside first and then heat the lense for an extended period. Now put hairdryer on cold setting and give it a quick blast through the bulb port to exit and hot air left. Put bulb back in and seal up.If then it happens again there will be a leak via a crack between lense and reflector or through the wheelarch access/bulb cover which they are obliged to investigate under warranty. Video of getting in.Had this issue with a Polo a few years back.

Excellent, who,would think that you get at the headlight from underneath the wheel arch.
Il give it a go.
Mind you, you would expect a better service for a 34k car
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS

They promised?

Said, then. Makes no difference. They still 100% lost a possible sale for the sake of one phone call.
You should ask Merc to make condensation as an option on their configurator online, you know a drop down with Xenon lights, Xenon lights with condensation + £0.00.

Or ask them to add condensation to their promotional images, it's normal right?

Don't start me, Harman Kardon amp that fails on basically every S-class & CL, roughly £1600 + VAT from the dealer, £1050 + VAT exchange. CL63 Engine failure, been there and done that too. I love Mercedes
I didn't even look at the spec for the radio, I automatically thought it would have DAB, but no just FM & AM. would you believe it, gutted.
supplyuk

I didn't even look at the spec for the radio, I automatically thought it … I didn't even look at the spec for the radio, I automatically thought it would have DAB, but no just FM & AM. would you believe it, gutted.

​and SW,MW and LW. Joking aside dab hasnt been taken hold very well in this country so there's no rush to switch off analogue.
agakhankhan

there is a problem with the lights and do need to be sorted.

Fantastic advise.

Didn't even get LW. Tight gits
i had two high powered mercs in the past and found them to be poor value for what they cost. they were better than the normal range of cars but not by the high difference that you pay for them. people buy them for the brand name really.

i wouldn't buy one ever again. very poor value.
supplyuk

Didn't even get LW. Tight gits

I heard you can still access it on some units by holding down AM till it selects LW or keep searching down to the lowest frequency ( Around 198 ) from MW.
I used the hairdryer method to dry a light out last year and it's been fine since.
obzi

I used the hairdryer method to dry a light out last year and it's been … I used the hairdryer method to dry a light out last year and it's been fine since.

Not on a six week old car I bet though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants