Breach in data protection?

Found 16th Mar
Hi
Just wondering if anyone can clear up if this is a case of breach of data protection.

Basically Fedex has sent me an invoice (nov 17) for a delivery i haven't received. The invoice has my company name, and address, but clearly shows the package was delivered to another company with a similar name, but different address. I notified them of their error, they agreed it was an error.

Weeks pass, i now receive a letter from a debt collecting agency saying fedex have passed my debt to them for collection, pay up or go to court. Contacted fedex and the credit agency, both agree theres an error, neither tries to fix it....

So given that i notified fedex of the error before they passed my details to the debt collecting agency have they breached data protection in passing my details to a debt collecting agency?

TL;DR Fedex are a piece of ....
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
They should have acted when you informed them they had incorrect information at the very least.

Give the ico a call, they're extremely helpful, or worth looking at:

ico.org.uk/for…ns/
Gynx1 h, 47 m ago

They should have acted when you informed them they had incorrect …They should have acted when you informed them they had incorrect information at the very least. Give the ico a call, they're extremely helpful, or worth looking at:https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/raising-concerns/

Cheers on with that now,
Happy to be corrected but I suspect the vast majority of current data protection legislation is aimed at protecting the consumer, not protecting businesses, and your issue appears to be related to your business name not your personal name. ICO will (might?) provide more assistance ico.org.uk/
FedEx are terrible. I used to get letters from debt collectors without even having been sent my invoices, on many occasions. I’ve also had debt collection letters for invoices I paid. Avoid them at every opportunity now.
No, as it’ll be covered in the terms of service. By using their service you have already agreed to those terms
cmdr_elito18 h, 5 m ago

No, as it’ll be covered in the terms of service. By using their service y …No, as it’ll be covered in the terms of service. By using their service you have already agreed to those terms

Lol. OP hasn't made it clear if the other company was the true customer and the OPs company was billed in error, in which case the OPs company has no contractual agreement with Fedex and so OPs company has not agreed to any t&c!
AndyRoyd4 h, 34 m ago

Lol. OP hasn't made it clear if the other company was the true customer …Lol. OP hasn't made it clear if the other company was the true customer and the OPs company was billed in error, in which case the OPs company has no contractual agreement with Fedex and so OPs company has not agreed to any t&c!

My comment applies to the individual who shipped it of course.
cmdr_elito4 h, 18 m ago

My comment applies to the individual who shipped it of course.

That's even more confusing: OP only mentions recipients, not the source shipper.
AndyRoyd6 h, 50 m ago

That's even more confusing: OP only mentions recipients, not the source …That's even more confusing: OP only mentions recipients, not the source shipper.

Yes but if he ordered the item in the case of international shipping it also applies to the intended recipient for the collection of taxes and duties.

I used to work for an international carrier so know about this stuff.
cmdr_elito3 h, 24 m ago

Yes but if he ordered the item in the case of international shipping it …Yes but if he ordered the item in the case of international shipping it also applies to the intended recipient for the collection of taxes and duties.I used to work for an international carrier so know about this stuff.

That's even more confusing. Who is the "he" you refer to. This whole thread only mentions companies. Is the purchaser of the FedEx service a consumer or a company?
Let me make this clear.

Whoever sends a package agrees to the terms and conditions. If you are importing goods (personal or commercially) customs duties and import duties are due as per whatever the country determines. Companies can pass on the details they have for the recipient to a debt collection agency for enforcement and collection of the duties or taxes. In this case they for some reason have the wrong details but there is nothing wrong with their process.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants