Break times/Work

Found 23rd Jun 2012
My current employer say's that I have 30min's lunch and 2 15min breaks at 10am and 3pm this equals an hour in total.
There telling us we now work from 8am till 5pm. !!

My Question is
I've always thought the two 15 min breaks were not counted within your hours at work ?? and they were European law that you have 2 toilet / rest periods within the 8 hour day ?? I feel I should finish work at 16.30pm and not 5pm
Community Updates
Misc
59 Comments
Apart from a mandatory lunch break I don't think you're entitled to any further breaks...
I work 8 til 3.30 and get 30 mins lunch with no breaks
If you are over 18 yrs you are legally entitled to a 20 min break after you have worked 6.5 hours, any other breaks are discressionary.

ie you can work a maximum of 6.5 hrs before you must have a break
You human rights are being abused write to the European Court and get your case heard.
By law you receive 20 minutes per 6 hours worked so they're not doing anything wrong I'm afraid!
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

so you feel you should finish 2½ hours early oO

eh ? eh

Is it me ?? OMG how does 8 am till 5pm = 2½ hours early ??

might be me but most people work an 8 hour day YES/NO

OMG

Anyway thanks Flodd for a somewhat sensible reply ! No wonder there are mods needed with people like "whatsthepoint" lol
PS. By the way you've said they're NOW making you work from 8-5, presumably you've signed a new contract, no?
Oneday77

You human rights are being abused write to the European Court and get … You human rights are being abused write to the European Court and get your case heard.

Oh wait no they aren't. Your work must supply so many toilets per head of employees so going to the loo doesn't have to be done on a break. Also as stated above you get the legal minimum break anyway.
whatsThePoint

so you feel you should finish 2½ hours early oO

Allypurinal

I feel I should finish work at 14.30pm and not 5pm

Allypurinal

eh ? ehIs it me ?? OMG how does 8 am till 5pm = 2½ hours early … eh ? ehIs it me ?? OMG how does 8 am till 5pm = 2½ hours early ??might be me but most people work an 8 hour day YES/NOOMGAnyway thanks Flodd for a somewhat sensible reply ! No wonder there are mods needed with people like "whatsthepoint" lol

No, 'most' people don't work 8 hours a day. You signed a contract when you were offered the job. I'm afraid if you don't like it, you either raise a complaint (this won't get you anywhere) or you find another job.
I work from 9-5.30 I get 30 mins break and 45 mins lunch paid for around 7.8 hrs
Banned
Allypurinal

eh ? ehIs it me ?? OMG how does 8 am till 5pm = 2½ hours early … eh ? ehIs it me ?? OMG how does 8 am till 5pm = 2½ hours early ??might be me but most people work an 8 hour day YES/NOOMGAnyway thanks Flodd for a somewhat sensible reply ! No wonder there are mods needed with people like "whatsthepoint" lol

You do realise that 14.30 is 2.30pm (ie 2h 30m earlier that 5pm (which incidentally is 1700)

Just be grateful to have a job. If you feel that aggrieved, just work a bit slower for half an hour.
guv

You do realise that 14.30 is 2.30pm (ie 2h 30m earlier that 5pm (which … You do realise that 14.30 is 2.30pm (ie 2h 30m earlier that 5pm (which incidentally is 1700)

Don't confuse the poor lad anymore guv! X)
Original Poster
baffledsalmon

PS. By the way you've said they're NOW making you work from 8-5, … PS. By the way you've said they're NOW making you work from 8-5, presumably you've signed a new contract, no?

Not as yet but there telling us if we don't sign a new contract when asked we will be saying we no longer wish to work with the company and therfore we will be sacked
Allypurinal

Not as yet but there telling us if we don't sign a new contract when … Not as yet but there telling us if we don't sign a new contract when asked we will be saying we no longer wish to work with the company and therfore we will be sacked

It's not an outrageous request though is it?

Would you rather work till 5pm and pay your way in the world, or queue up at the dole office?

Not sure what your job is, but I'm sure there are plenty that would gladly take it without arguing over breaks.
Banned
be lucky you have a job
Maybe it would help to give your current and new working hours.
As said before, you're only entitled to a 20 min break after 6 hours of work.

If you're getting a 30min lunch break plus 2 x 15min breaks then you get 1 hour "off" during the day, for which you are NOT paid.

So, assuming you're on a 40 hour week, then 8am-5pm (9 hours) minus your breaks (1 hour) = 8 hours. 8 hours x 5 days = 40 hours/week.
Original Poster
miikeyblue

It's not an outrageous request though is it?Would you rather work till … It's not an outrageous request though is it?Would you rather work till 5pm and pay your way in the world, or queue up at the dole office?Not sure what your job is, but I'm sure there are plenty that would gladly take it without arguing over breaks.

Tory party will be delighted tae see the Tory future is still bright lol Cameron will be delighted this is the way some people think lol
Lunch is for wimps.
Banned
I don't understand why you are going at half two and not five?

I am lucky in that I can take a break when I choose. I don't take the pre because the nature of my job is I go when my work is done.
oddballjamie

oO

He works 10am until 3pm and they want him to work 8am until 5pm. But still have an hour break.
Allypurinal

Not as yet but there telling us if we don't sign a new contract when … Not as yet but there telling us if we don't sign a new contract when asked we will be saying we no longer wish to work with the company and therfore we will be sacked

They are unfortunately within their rights to do that.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

oOHe works 10am until 3pm and they want him to work 8am until 5pm. But … oOHe works 10am until 3pm and they want him to work 8am until 5pm. But still have an hour break.

Uh no, he gets breaks at 10am and 3pm.
Original Poster
oddballjamie

8am till 4.30pm with 2 x 15 min break

new hours will be
8am till 5pm with 2 x 15 plus an extra 30min break which no one want's

Then again I guess I'm lucky tae have a job. I might suggest working for half pay so the bankers can get more of a bonus
Allypurinal

Tory party will be delighted tae see the Tory future is still bright lol … Tory party will be delighted tae see the Tory future is still bright lol Cameron will be delighted this is the way some people think lol

It's nothing to do with the tories. It's just about being grateful for what you have, doing what you're paid to do, for as long as you're paid to do it.

I work all hours, sometimes over 60 hours in a week, and rarely use my full break. Not worth moaning about.
I get half an hour for Lunch but if we work through our lunch (like me and a few others do) then we work 7 1/2 hours solid every weekday

we are adults and if we choose no to have a lunch work will not force you.

Also, what happens when muslims are fasting? do they still get a lunch break?
I work 12hours a day and don't take any breaks. Count yourself lucky, there's millions looking for jobs.
Copied and pasted from direct.gov

"Rest breaks - a break during your working day
As an adult worker (over 18), you will normally have the right to a 20 minute rest break if you are expected to work more than six hours at a stretch.
A lunch or coffee break can count as your rest break. Additional breaks might be given by your contract of employment. There is no statutory right to 'smoking breaks'.
The requirements are:
the break must be in one block
it cannot be taken off one end of the working day - it must be somewhere in the middle
you are allowed to spend it away from the place on your employer's premises where you work
your employer can say when the break must be taken, as long as it meets these conditions"
Allypurinal

8am till 4.30pm with 2 x 15 min breaknew hours will be 8am till 5pm with … 8am till 4.30pm with 2 x 15 min breaknew hours will be 8am till 5pm with 2 x 15 plus an extra 30min break which no one want'sThen again I guess I'm lucky tae have a job. I might suggest working for half pay so the bankers can get more of a bonus

So you're not actually working any longer, but will be on work premises for longer. Stop whining!
Allypurinal

8am till 4.30pm with 2 x 15 min breaknew hours will be 8am till 5pm with … 8am till 4.30pm with 2 x 15 min breaknew hours will be 8am till 5pm with 2 x 15 plus an extra 30min break which no one want'sThen again I guess I'm lucky tae have a job. I might suggest working for half pay so the bankers can get more of a bonus

So why should you finish 2 hours earlier than you do now because of a 30 min break???? oO
Many others are not in as fortunate a position as you are right now, having a job. A number of my friends and family have struggled badly this last 18 months or so looking for work. The fact that you get breaks is a result, I work 24hr shifts and take maybe a total of an hour's break during that time, we don't get set breaks, just have to grab a bit of time to eat where possible
marvellous

If you're getting a 30min lunch break plus 2 x 15min breaks then you get … If you're getting a 30min lunch break plus 2 x 15min breaks then you get 1 hour "off" during the day, for which you are NOT paid.

It depends on their contract. Many firms pay the tea breaks but don`t pay lunch breaks.
Our hours are 8am til 5pm with an hour lunch break. Screw that, I am at work to work not sit around sleeping/eating, so it was agreed no breaks and go home at 4pm.
ji29zard

Many others are not in as fortunate a position as you are right now, … Many others are not in as fortunate a position as you are right now, having a job. A number of my friends and family have struggled badly this last 18 months or so looking for work. The fact that you get breaks is a result, I work 24hr shifts and take maybe a total of an hour's break during that time, we don't get set breaks, just have to grab a bit of time to eat where possible

24 hour shifts? WTF do you do?
miikeyblue

24 hour shifts? WTF do you do?

He works at the sleep deprevation society
Banned
I am so glad I only work part-time these days.

Full-time would do my head in.
pinkleponkle

He works at the sleep deprevation society

Nah, I'd have seen him around.
Original Poster
I'm hopeing to become a UK citizen very soon then I can sign on at the place you go every two weeks Then stuff the 8 hours a week work and play internet poker.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants