Found 7th Jun
What is the best breakdown cover in the UK?
cheapest quickest and best?

1. Ask
  2. Breakdown
22 Comments

I've been with start rescue the last 6years always been good value

same here, Start Rescue, there is a 15% discount code on here

Agree with above , good value (with TCB thrown in too) - Hope I never have to find out if they are any good!

Quick checklist for "best" vehicle breakdown service:
Consider avoiding opeartors that only provide "recovery to nearest garage" regardless of what day / time it is, otherwise worst case would possibly be a breakdown late Saturday on a bank hol w/end = stranded with no chance of repair for 2+ days.
Consider avoiding operators that limit assistance to mechanical and electrical failure-only, so say you accidentaly thump a kerb and damage suspenison, that can be classed as an incident / accident and not covered, but can be chargeable as an extra.
Consider avoiding operators that do not include post road traffic accident assistance within its standard service. Some operators will provide that service but at additional charge. This is probably of most importance to drivers having 3rd-party insurance who have no other means of vehicle recovery costs reimbursement.
Consider avoiding operators that do not include post-vandalism and undriveable theft / fire assistance.
Consider if a policy should include lost / damaged key / immobiliser assistance.
Some of above will probably require reading the policy's terms and conditions.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Quick checklist for "best" vehicle breakdown service:Consider avoiding … Quick checklist for "best" vehicle breakdown service:Consider avoiding opeartors that only provide "recovery to nearest garage" regardless of what day / time it is, otherwise worst case would possibly be a breakdown late Saturday on a bank hol w/end = stranded with no chance of repair for 2+ days.Consider avoiding operators that limit assistance to mechanical and electrical failure-only, so say you accidentaly thump a kerb and damage suspenison, that can be classed as an incident / accident and not covered, but can be chargeable as an extra.Consider avoiding operators that do not include post road traffic accident assistance within its standard service. Some operators will provide that service but at additional charge. This is probably of most importance to drivers having 3rd-party insurance who have no other means of vehicle recovery costs reimbursement.Consider avoiding operators that do not include post-vandalism and undriveable theft / fire assistance.Consider if a policy should include lost / damaged key / immobiliser assistance.Some of above will probably require reading the policy's terms and conditions.

which one do you use?

have been with Autonational Rescue for years - they offer discount for no call outs and mine and wife's car covered for £110 ( ish)

Original Poster

shotatdawn

have been with Autonational Rescue for years - they offer discount for no … have been with Autonational Rescue for years - they offer discount for no call outs and mine and wife's car covered for £110 ( ish)

is that everything including homestart etc?

AndyRoyd

Quick checklist for "best" vehicle breakdown service:Consider avoiding … Quick checklist for "best" vehicle breakdown service:Consider avoiding opeartors that only provide "recovery to nearest garage" regardless of what day / time it is, otherwise worst case would possibly be a breakdown late Saturday on a bank hol w/end = stranded with no chance of repair for 2+ days.Consider avoiding operators that limit assistance to mechanical and electrical failure-only, so say you accidentaly thump a kerb and damage suspenison, that can be classed as an incident / accident and not covered, but can be chargeable as an extra.Consider avoiding operators that do not include post road traffic accident assistance within its standard service. Some operators will provide that service but at additional charge. This is probably of most importance to drivers having 3rd-party insurance who have no other means of vehicle recovery costs reimbursement.Consider avoiding operators that do not include post-vandalism and undriveable theft / fire assistance.Consider if a policy should include lost / damaged key / immobiliser assistance.Some of above will probably require reading the policy's terms and conditions.

yzr

which one do you use?

I use one that suits my requirements and expectations: AutoAid autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/Why…spx where the t&c can be viewed here

With the RAC paying just over £91/year on a 2 year deal for a family of 4 drivers - oldest car 12 years old.

I found that the cheaper insurers where more expensive for family deals last time I looked.

Have also been with AA and Green Flag over the past 10 years or so and found them all very good when needed to use them!
Edited by: "Van1973" 7th Jun

AndyRoyd

yzr

which one do you use?

Good price - have you ever needed to use them?

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

yzr

which one do you use?

who?

yzr

who?

AndyRoyd - Autoaidbreakdown

Have you considered a packaged bank account? The Nationwide FlexPlus current account

It includes full breakdown cover including onward travel/homestart/national relay. If you have a joint account, covers 2 cars.

Bearing in mind also includes Travel insurance & mobile phone insurance for whole family it's a bargain at £10 per month.

AndyRoyd

yzr

which one do you use?

Autoaid: yes. Immobiliser issue, car wouldn't start. City centre attendance within 30mins of callout. Operator quickly diagnosed the issue and asked if I had dropped the key recently. I had, and apparently the security transponder in the key housing was now busted / partially missing. Vehicle was immediately recovered to home address where the operator waited for me to get spare key. Vehicle started second time. All good.
In context: a dataset of one is obviously not a cast iron guarantee of similar repeat service

autoaid

rogparki

Agree with above , good value (with TCB thrown in too) - Hope I never … Agree with above , good value (with TCB thrown in too) - Hope I never have to find out if they are any good!

I've used them and they've been brilliant every time. Highly recommend and think I only paid around £30

Hi
Just got home - that was for the full package(think it's called premium) homestart everything
e have only called them out a few times and always very quick .very helpful

called Total superservice - for 1 car starts at £71 - depends on age/previous breakdowns etc

AndyRoyd

yzr

which one do you use?

​I've been with them for years and had a fair few call outs. for less than £50 you're getting personal cover for yourself and your spouse in any car that you're travelling in.

we were towed all the way from Birmingham to London on a Sunday evening I think it was before a back holiday with 3 kids in tow. can't fault the service. they use local recovery agents not their own cars.

from what I can tell they give AA to level of cover for a fraction of the price. don't understand why people pay more for less.

Original Poster

I always thought that the aa is better.
I recently waited 2.5hours literally to be recovered. terrible service.

deanos

same here, Start Rescue, there is a 15% discount code on here

Also 15% cashback on Quidco

Original Poster

I am still waiting for my renewal from the AA
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition52473
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!22
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515