Breakdown cover

Found 9th Oct 2017
Hi,
previously with the rac however renewal was expensive - I have looked at comparison sites and some lesser known companies a lot cheaper. What are people's experiences and who would they recommend?
thanks in advanx
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
I'm with Start - about £20 for the full deal after TCB . Haven't a clue how good they are (you only find out once you break down !) ,but full breakdown and recovery etc ,peace of mind .
Auto aid. Highly recommended. About £40 per year for 2 if you're married. Regards 😊
Start Rescue, had to use them twice and have been brilliant both times.
After decades of wing with the AA I moved my parents to RAC as it was cheaper. Then a couple of years ago Green Flag was cheaper so they were with them and the service was just as good. Now they're with Auto-aid as it was £43 for the both of them for the full bundle including home start, onward travel etc, which is amazing value and the reviews are really good but they haven't called them out yet!
Have a look at package bank accounts. £12-15 a month gets you breakdown cover, travel insurance and mobile phone insurance which you may already be paying a lot for separately.
My experience has been that you get a lower level of service with these cheaper breakdown policies. The AA / RAC are expensive but they always sent a patrol with a fully equipped van whenever I broke down and most times they fixed the problem quite quickly at the roadside, even if they had to go and buy parts.
However, both the cheaper companies I used just sent a recovery truck from a local garage to take me back to their workshop, they made no attempt to investigate the problem at the roadside, in fact one didn't even bring any tools with him. Then both times I had to wait over an hour for a mechanic to become free so he could look at my car, and on one occasion a further 3 hour wait while they got a part delivered because they said they didn't have time to go and get it, so it can take a lot longer before you're back on the road.
So I had enough of that and I'm now back with the RAC, paid for with Tesco Clubcard Vouchers, i think it was around £40 worth of vouchers at last renewal.
I'm with RAC - 2 year deal for a family of 4, £180. Two of our cars are over 12 years old - the smaller companies do not offer such good prices for older cars or larger groups.
Was with auto aid for years and their service was always fast and apart from one occasion they got me moving again ( then they took me home and delivered my passengers to their address on route) . Would still be with them but I get free cover through work now .
Have recommended Start Rescue on here before. Superb service at an affordable price. Had to call them out on two occasions for the same problem. After the first I took my car to be repaired as advised by the mechanic attending. The garage failed to correct the error, but charged me for the privilege. When I had to call them the second time they said there would be a charge of £80 unless I could demonstrate I had actioned the repairs. I could and they attended within 30mins. On both occasions, the staff were superb with regular updates and, well, just generally nice people to deal with.
Highly recommend them.
With start rescue and my renewal is £66, but to take out a new policy I can get same cover for £35. So.may be worth getting a new quote.
OP, I think you are lacking in respect for those who have posted help/suggestions.
Topcashback for good cashback.
ndksamb6 h, 22 m ago

With start rescue and my renewal is £66, but to take out a new policy I …With start rescue and my renewal is £66, but to take out a new policy I can get same cover for £35. So.may be worth getting a new quote.

Was it a pricing error as they usually discount by 10% on renewal.
cliosport652 h, 52 m ago

Was it a pricing error as they usually discount by 10% on renewal.

No, the letter they sent showed I paid £40 odd last year and the renewal quote has the 10% discount if I buy it online. I have had two call outs this year though as had issues with the fuel injectors, so wasn't sure if the risen premium was due to that.
Phone RAC and tell them you want to cancel because they are to expensive, I got offered 50% discount within a couple of minutes during the call.
ndksamb11 h, 34 m ago

No, the letter they sent showed I paid £40 odd last year and the renewal …No, the letter they sent showed I paid £40 odd last year and the renewal quote has the 10% discount if I buy it online. I have had two call outs this year though as had issues with the fuel injectors, so wasn't sure if the risen premium was due to that.

It will be because the car is 10 years old and goes to the next band, will have nothing to do with the amount of call outs
Got stranded 50 mile from home last year after an oncoming vehicle flooded out my car, RAC were worse than useless sending some 3rd party who blatantly wasn't interested in doing anything and even buggered off whilst i was contacting people to move cars.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants