Breath Of The Wild latest patch

Found 1st Apr 2017
Just downloaded the latest patch on my Wii U but can't say I've noticed a big difference in the frame rate. Anyone else noticed? The frames still seem to drop in villages.
Community Updates
12 Comments
eurogamer.net/art…tch

I'm playing on Switch and, while I didn't have any major complaint over frame rate pre-patch (I'd notice a drop occasionally, but not enough to bother me), if I put my mind to it I can see the improvement.
I think the patch primarily improves the Switch framerate, not the Wii U.
Is the latest patch automatically updated
Original Poster
When I loaded the Wii version it told me there was a patch 1.1.1 which I downloaded. Still getting frame rate drops but don't seem as severe. It's crazy Nintendo having to patch games as the quality used to be spot on release. They are getting like Ubi and EA releasing games to patch later.
Maybe just teething problems. I've personally got no complaints about the game or system.
Original Poster
The game is very good but a smoother frame rate would have made gameplay more enjoyable especially on their latest Switch console. It's strange as Nintendo used to make sure they were totally happy before releasing. People who own Switches were complaining of bad frame rates on the TV but smooth play on the handheld.
Ahhh, that could be where my lack of complaints originate then, I have never hooked it up to the TV. I have no intention of ever doing it either (because kids). Makes me wonder whether or not I should flog all those 'spare parts' that came with it (the dock etc.).
Original Poster
On the handheld it runs at 720p but on TV it plays at 900p which is more demanding on the console. The complaints for the Switch have been for playing on the TV which as a new console is what it's meant to do.
Decoded

On the handheld it runs at 720p but on TV it plays at 900p which is more … On the handheld it runs at 720p but on TV it plays at 900p which is more demanding on the console. The complaints for the Switch have been for playing on the TV which as a new console is what it's meant to do.

I'd disagree and, as it is called 'Switch' after all I'd say Nintendo would too, there's no set way of playing it - all down to individual preference.
wakkaday

Is the latest patch automatically updated

That will depend on the settings that you have on your console.
Decoded

When I loaded the Wii version it told me there was a patch 1.1.1 which I … When I loaded the Wii version it told me there was a patch 1.1.1 which I downloaded. Still getting frame rate drops but don't seem as severe. It's crazy Nintendo having to patch games as the quality used to be spot on release. They are getting like Ubi and EA releasing games to patch later.

That's a bit extreme No games ever used to get patches, simply because that wasn't technically possible. Breath of the Wild has very little by way of issues - a patch to improve optimisation in a few places is really very minor when compared to what's seen with other games.
Decoded

The game is very good but a smoother frame rate would have made gameplay … The game is very good but a smoother frame rate would have made gameplay more enjoyable especially on their latest Switch console. It's strange as Nintendo used to make sure they were totally happy before releasing. People who own Switches were complaining of bad frame rates on the TV but smooth play on the handheld.

That's exactly what this patch does - though FWIW, I'm playing on Switch in docked mode and have little in the way of complaints about performance.
Original Poster
I would still say that even after patched and frame rates still dropping to 20fps in places (according to digital foundry) is still poor. The game should have been optimised to run at a locked 30fps on Switch at least before release. Zelda is meant to be their Flag Ship game. The improvement on the 2nd patch shows it was a weakness in optimisation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions