Brent Cross Shopping Center Power Failure.. Lights out for 3hours?!

Found 6th Jun 2010
Popped into John Lewis in Brent Cross for a few things and noticed it was very dimly lit. Hoards of people rushing out and escalators/ lift out of order. Asked an assistant what the blimmin'ells going on, and lo and behold, she tells me that the WHOLE of the centre is experiencing a 'power failure'! Only M&S, Waitrose and JL have back up generators, but still, they're only powerful enough for a few lights. There was no air conditioning (obviously) and the place was sweltering! Had to 'walk' up the escalator behind a poor old man struggling with his walking stick (disabled fella) due to no lifts..Got to the till, and find it's the second power failure in a fortnight. Lights had been out for an hour before I got there, and they expected the problem to be ongoing for at least another two! Couldn't get over the heat in there- and was glad to get out..

Just made me think about how much we rely on an ongoing electricity supply, without really thinking about it..take advantage, and take it for granted an all..it was an eye opener to see how it all came to a standstill in Hendon this afty (3pm) and what chaos it caused.. We're actually very privileged to reside in a non-third world country, and boy, am I thankful!

When did you last experience a power supply failure at home/ work/ wherever?..

13 Comments

Original Poster

Though, I must add, this facade didn't deter me from buying a lovely new bag and some new bedding :-D

so cctv was out and you still payed for stuff?

Original Poster

acecatcher3;8770837

so cctv was out and you still payed for stuff?

:lol:
darn.. missed an opportunity there....(sigh!). ?but JL had back-up generators y'see.. knowing my luck- the only cctv working would've caught my mug on it. not that i'd attempt to challenge the laws of the land;-)

samwants2save;8770840

:lol:darn.. missed an opportunity there....(sigh!). ?but JL had back-up … :lol:darn.. missed an opportunity there....(sigh!). ?but JL had back-up generators y'see.. knowing my luck- the only cctv working would've caught my mug on it. not that i'd attempt to challenge the laws of the land;-)

haha thats a shame! was in john lewis a few days ago and bought the gf a pair of chanel sunglasses for £140....could have done with a total powercut then!!!

I'm surprised there wasn't a backup system, just for lights, if not just to ensure safe evacuation, albeit emergency ones are obviously smaller.

Also sounds like there wasn't much organisation in terms of safe evacuation, it doesn't take much for alot of people moving to turn into a stampede.

If I was there I'd be tempted to make a complaint against Brent Cross authorities for handling it so badly.

But then that entire area is pretty awful generally, despite the credit crunch, you can see why people like Westfield in White City.

acecatcher3;8770842

haha thats a shame! was in john lewis a few days ago and bought the gf a … haha thats a shame! was in john lewis a few days ago and bought the gf a pair of chanel sunglasses for £140....could have done with a total powercut then!!!

I was in JL the other day having a squish of the duvets and this security guard stopped his walking about and stood there watched me like he expected me to steal it or something - how exactly I'd be able to hide a double duvet and walk out of the store I do not know but the annoying man just stood there and followed me round the store for a while :w00t:

sickly sweet;8770859
I was in JL the other day having a squish of the duvets and this security guard stopped his walking about and stood there watched me like he expected me to steal it or something - how exactly I'd be able to hide a double duvet and walk out of the store I do not know but the annoying man just stood there and followed me round the store for a while :w00t:

For future reference: be friendly, offer your name, ask for his, if he has a badge have a look at it in a friendly way, play with your mobile to get camera mode on, take a picture of said badge, then say bye .

Then I'd complain about him harressing you in a public place in violation of harressment act and the public order act to local non emergency police number and to brent cross security.
But never, ever, get angry/abusive.

schizoboy;8770854
I'm surprised there wasn't a backup system, just for lights, if not just to ensure safe evacuation, albeit emergency ones are obviously smaller.

Also sounds like there wasn't much organisation in terms of safe evacuation, it doesn't take much for alot of people moving to turn into a stampede.

[SIZE="4"]If I was there I'd be tempted to make a complaint against Brent Cross authorities for handling it so badly.[/SIZE]

But then that entire area is pretty awful generally, despite the credit crunch, you can see why people like Westfield in White City.

schizoboy;8770862
For future reference: be friendly, offer your name, ask for his, if he has a badge have a look at it in a friendly way, play with your mobile to get camera mode on, take a picture of said badge, then say bye .

[SIZE="4"]Then I'd complain about him harressing you in a public place in violation of harressment act and the public order act to local non emergency police number and to brent cross security.[/SIZE]

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1866/chipv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

schizoboy;8770862

Then I'd complain about him harressing you in a public place in violation of harressment act and the public order act to local non emergency police number and to brent cross security.

Thanks, if it happens again I will remember that, but I just sheepishly left the section and headed for the food/Waitrose part. I totally understand that they have a job to do and that groping the duvets probably looked peculiar but to watch me for several minutes?! There is no way I could steal a double duvet without being noticed ('urrr no officer I'm just fat' lol) - not that I've ever stolen anything in my life, I remember as a young child once being undercharged for something at the newsagents, when I realised in the car I told my dad and he made me go back and pay them the extra 20p :w00t:

haha

I don't care what civilian job you have, you don't have the right to intimidate/harass, i tend to use my local non emergency number to leave anonymous (too lazy to give statements unless i see soimething serious) tips around once a month, I don't have a chip on my shoulder imo, but I suppose I could be called a busy body, why should we have to tolerate crap in our lives because people don't know how to act within their boundaries or act decently???

samwants2save;8770824

Though, I must add, this facade didn't deter me from buying a lovely new … Though, I must add, this facade didn't deter me from buying a lovely new bag and some new bedding :-D

:giggle:

schizoboy;8770862

are you for real?

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh349/jamstaruk/paul_blart_mall_cop.jpg

he wasnt harrassing her and just how much police time do you waste

jamstaruk1972;8771372

are you for real?he wasnt harrassing her and just how much police time do … are you for real?he wasnt harrassing her and just how much police time do you waste

None, they assign the priority and I only ever called 999 when i saw someone have a epileptic seizure
Post a comment
@
    Text