Expired

Brian Cant, "Play School"/"Play Away" presenter, has died :(

17 replies
Found 19th Jun
"Brian Cant, Play School presenter, dies at 83"

[ bbc.co.uk/new…213 ]

Children's presenter Brian Cant has died at the age of 83.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/E32B/production/_96555185_brian-cant-bbc.jpg

He was best known for presenting BBC's Play School for 21 years from 1964, and Play Away from 1971 to 1984.

His agent said he had been living with Parkinson's disease and died at Denville Hall, a retirement home often used by those in the entertainment industry.

A statement from the family said: "He lived courageously with Parkinson's disease for a long time."

Cant was also a guest presenter on Jackanory and appeared on ITV's Dappledown Farm, which ran from 1990 to 2003.

He got his big break when he auditioned for Play School, when part of the audition required him to climb into a cardboard box.

His voice was known to millions in shows such as Trumpton, his most famous line being the fire brigade call-out: "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub."

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/B185/production/_96554454_brian-cant-playschool-bbc.jpg

---

"BBC TV Play Away 1970's With Brian Cant"

Brian Cant, Toni Arthur, Tony Robinson, Jeremy Irons, & Julie Stevens perform "The Court of King Caracticus":

[ youtube.com/wat…Fh0 ]

Top comments

if you grew up in the 70s early 80s Brian was a part of the TV family, with the Blue Peter (unless you were a magpie) and rainbow, whats through the round window. A few hours of kids TV each day not like now, how did we ever manage

RIP
17 Comments

Original Poster

"inb4"...

I Cant Believe It

if you grew up in the 70s early 80s Brian was a part of the TV family, with the Blue Peter (unless you were a magpie) and rainbow, whats through the round window. A few hours of kids TV each day not like now, how did we ever manage

RIP

another great to go.

fanpages

"inb4"...I Cant Believe It

Can't*

inb4 whoosh

Bit b4 my time but RIP.
Edited by: "CookinBat" 19th Jun

fanpages

"Trumpton Firemen. Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub"[ … "Trumpton Firemen. Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub"[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6YE4PCRNwc ][ http://www.trumptonshire.com/about/trumpton ]

I always said Barley McGrew oO

joesmum

I always said Barley McGrew oO

I always thought he said Barrie Mcguigan oO

R.I.P i loved watching dappledown fam in the mornings

Original Poster

Error440

R.I.P i loved watching dappledown fam in the mornings

"Dappledown Farm Compilation"
(HandsUpPuppets; Uploaded on 3 Feb 2011)
---
July 28th 2011 Marcus will be giving a talk on the creation of these Puppets at the Buxton Puppet Festival. Dappledown Farm Kids Tv Series was Broadcast by Channel Five as part of its Kids Milkshake Strand. It featured Brian Cant as a Farmer. The Farm was populated by a variety of Puppet Animals and there was also a Duckpond with Bird Puppets. The Puppets were performed primarily by Marcus Clarke and Helena Smee who also made the Puppets as Hands Up Puppets.
---
[ youtube.com/wat…jfo ]

Sad sad news, may he RIP

Not meaning to disrespect him but even as a child I found him so irritating on playaway I just couldn't watch it. Chris Tarrant has a similar effect for me.

gazdoubleu

Not meaning to disrespect him but even as a child I found him so … Not meaning to disrespect him but even as a child I found him so irritating on playaway I just couldn't watch it. Chris Tarrant has a similar effect for me.

And your point is ????

Aww bless, he was one of my faves

was it natural causes or was it Hamble? she scared me when I was a kid

summerof76

And your point is ????

He's eagerly awaits the death of Chris Tarrant.

Edited by: "OllieSt" 20th Jun

OllieSt

He's eagerly awaits the death of Chris Tarrant.

X)

First John Noakes now Brian Cant, I guess the TV presenters of my youth are getting on a bit and gradually popping off
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769324
    2. HUKD Hottest deals side bar was far better before33
    3. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland2458
    4. Lego Dimensions has officially been cancelled.66

See more discussions