Bricked iphone? and how to fix it...

Banned 27 replies
Found 2nd Dec 2009
Hi i stupidly tried to unlock my already jailbroken iphone 3gs 32gb using a video on youtube which was meant for a lower version of firmware than i had. the video i watch was for 3.0 and i have 3.1.2 and it used reposn0w i think it was called.

Anyway after i had done this the phone would not find my o2 service so i decided to do a "wipe all data" restart and now it only has the picture of the apple in the middle of the screen and now and then it has the cog which shows it is doing something but it is not going round like it should and it then goes off and restarts itsself back to the apple picture i left it over night but this morning it is still doing the same thing.

can anyone help me fix it?

Lewt

1. Misc
  2. iPhone
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. iPhone
27 Comments

Does itunes recognise it?

might be woth taking to an apple store and saying you were trying to update firmware...something went wrong tried resetting phone and thats what happened???

Plug it in itunes and hit restore.

Banned

Connect You Iphone To Itunes
hold The Top Button And Circle Button Together Like A Reboot But Do It For 30 Seconds,
itunes Should Then See The Iphone,
the Itunes Logo Shoud Appear On The Iphone Screen
it May Enter Safe Mode
IF IT HASN'T ALREADY
YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A RESTORE VIA ITUNES TO
GET THE PHONE WORKING AGAIN
THIS HAPPENED TO ME FEW WEEKS AGO.

Original Poster Banned

dj_urban;7077638

Connect You Iphone To Itunes hold The Top Button And Circle Button … Connect You Iphone To Itunes hold The Top Button And Circle Button Together Like A Reboot But Do It For 30 Seconds,itunes Should Then See The Iphone, the Itunes Logo Shoud Appear On The Iphone Screen it May Enter Safe Mode IF IT HASN'T ALREADY YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A RESTORE VIA ITUNES TO GET THE PHONE WORKING AGAINTHIS HAPPENED TO ME FEW WEEKS AGO.

I did read this on the net too.

one prob is i have also messed my computer up some F'in facebook virus so the itunes i normally use i son that. i am using my wifes laptop now will i be able to do the same on that?

Repped guys thanks. will try when i get home...

Banned

lewt;7077717

I did read this on the net too. one prob is i have also messed my … I did read this on the net too. one prob is i have also messed my computer up some F'in facebook virus so the itunes i normally use i son that. i am using my wifes laptop now will i be able to do the same on that?

YES :thumbsup:

Banned

dj_urban;7077638

Connect You Iphone To Itunes hold The Top Button And Circle Button … Connect You Iphone To Itunes hold The Top Button And Circle Button Together Like A Reboot But Do It For 30 Seconds,itunes Should Then See The Iphone, the Itunes Logo Shoud Appear On The Iphone Screen it May Enter Safe Mode IF IT HASN'T ALREADY YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A RESTORE VIA ITUNES TO GET THE PHONE WORKING AGAINTHIS HAPPENED TO ME FEW WEEKS AGO.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Sienna"]^ Don't do this, its kinda pointless.

Rather than go for Restore mode, go for DFU mode (either way the device will be wiped, but from what you say, its wiped anyway?)

Connect iPhone via USB to computer
Wait for it to be detected, but if not, doesn't matter - clear any "itunes has detected restore mode" popups.
Hold Home + Power for almost exactly 10 seconds. After about 8 seconds the screen will go blank, but keep holding for about 1.5/2 seconds more. Then let go of the power button, but hold the Home button still.
Keep holding the Home button until you hear windows detect a new USB device. It's detected as Apple Mobile Device (DFU) I think.
Now try a restore.

DFU is better than restore mode [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Original Poster Banned

will try when i am home.

will it still be jail broken ?

Banned

lewt;7078234

will try when i am home. will it still be jail broken ?

doubt it

restoring it generally un-jailbreaks them

Banned

lewt;7078234

will try when i am home. will it still be jail broken ?

No,
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Sienna"]
But as of right now, 3.1.2 is the latest software, and can be jailbroken with pwnagetool (mac only) - but if you find a trustworthy person you can use their created IPSW providing its for 3GS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Original Poster Banned

ok i did it with Blackra1n last time...

Banned

lewt;7078627

ok i did it with Blackra1n last time...

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]
Sorry yeah I was talking crap - use blackra1n[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Original Poster Banned

cheers

If none of the above methods work - I'd book an appointment at a Genius Bar in an Apple store. I went to my first one a few days back and found the service to be great!

Original Poster Banned

what happens if the laptop does not reconise that the iphone is plugged in as it does not seem to be.

nickw90;7083593

If none of the above methods work - I'd book an appointment at a Genius … If none of the above methods work - I'd book an appointment at a Genius Bar in an Apple store. I went to my first one a few days back and found the service to be great!

Don't think they'd fix a jailbroken pod...

Original Poster Banned

just done it and it came up with "cannot restore iphone"

Original Poster Banned

twice now it has come up with unknown error...

i now can see the usb and a pic of itunes which i have not before and it is stuck in recovery mode...

so anyone got any further ideas?

Banned

lewt;7084816

twice now it has come up with unknown error... i now can see the usb and … twice now it has come up with unknown error... i now can see the usb and a pic of itunes which i have not before and it is stuck in recovery mode... so anyone got any further ideas?

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]
if you see the USB connect to itunes screen you are NOT in DFU mode.

Can you confirm you have tried restoring with the method I suggested?

The screen MUST be blank, and the computer will detect it as a new device for it to work.

Also try another USB port - this has been the cause of a few issues for me.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Original Poster Banned

vibeone;7084977

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]if you see the … [FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]if you see the USB connect to itunes screen you are NOT in DFU mode.Can you confirm you have tried restoring with the method I suggested?The screen MUST be blank, and the computer will detect it as a new device for it to work.Also try another USB port - this has been the cause of a few issues for me.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I can see ont he screen of the iphone after it comes up withthe error message the usb and the arrow to the itunes logo.
i have tried the method you said nd it starts to go through the process but then stops saying could not complete unknown error.

I changed the usb as it did not reconise it on the first one i tried...

at present the iphone is plugged into the computer and i ca see the usb wire and the arrow to the itunes logo Itunes is saying that it has deceted that the phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

Banned

lewt;7085056

I can see ont he screen of the iphone after it comes up withthe error … I can see ont he screen of the iphone after it comes up withthe error message the usb and the arrow to the itunes logo. i have tried the method you said nd it starts to go through the process but then stops saying could not complete unknown error. I changed the usb as it did not reconise it on the first one i tried... at present the iphone is plugged into the computer and i ca see the usb wire and the arrow to the itunes logo Itunes is saying that it has deceted that the phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

OK, press OK to that dialog, but don't press restore.

Then go through the process I said - Leave it connected via usb, Hold both buttons for 10 seconds, then release Power, keep hold of home. Home til computer detects it again. if the screen is still blank, you are in the right mode.

Shift click on Restore, and select 3GS firmware for 3.1.2 and restore. If that doesn' work I'm struggling

Still failing? lIKE i said it HAS to be a blank screen for DFU mode.

Original Poster Banned

i think it is doing it now... it is restoring firware and has not got that far before...

will i lose my contacts ?

Banned

lewt;7085236

i think it is doing it now... it is restoring firware and has not got … i think it is doing it now... it is restoring firware and has not got that far before... will i lose my contacts ?

100% yes - unless you have a backup from before you K.O'ed it?

you using DFU or restore mode?

Original Poster Banned

i dont know.

i have put my sim in and it is not seeming to reconize it. there are no service bars.

and it keeps going to emergancy...

Original Poster Banned

its all don now mate thank you so much... now to try and get my contact from my nokia to my phone.

i have got a back up however that is on my pc which is also in a bd way and think i will lose it.

Banned

np - always use DFU mode to restore, wipes out a LOT of restore problems.

Original Poster Banned

i have now got my contacts back on as i synced them with an online place-thank god

thanks again mate
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Tablet recommendation ror 5yr old- ideally with a stylus11
    2. Bean to cup machine11
    3. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…818
    4. Laptop help22

See more discussions