Groups

British Airways Cabin crew to strike for 4 days?!

Editor
    Due to a pay issue, BA crew are planning a 4 day strike later this month! It's set to start on the 16th June, due to a pay dispute.Not looking good at the moment, especially right after the huge computer outage they had, that affected around 75,000 passengers!

If any of you have plans to travel with them, or know anyone that does. You might want to see what can be done, to ensure you don't have any issues

Source - Here

17 Comments

got to love our national carrier

perks and pay is better than average, unions sticking their oar in?

davewave

Better than average? Sounds like average is disappointing. I just looked up their wages and benefit, I thought they were earning £7,000/p.a. more for what they do (last 4 long hauls with them except 1), especially if they live in South East or in London suburbs. I feel let down a bit if I had paid a bit more than other airlines' fares by flying BA that the company couldn't treat the British staff better.
    Edited by: "splender" 2nd Jun

davewave

​If Labour get in, expect unions to get stronger and a lot more strikes.

Rich069

If Labour get in, expect unions to get stronger and a lot more strikes.

Both sides need to learn from European bosses and unions - called codetermination - in general, continental Europe does this https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/comparative-information/board-level-employee-representation-in-europe
    In Britain, adversarial and trial by battle is favoured, so sad.

British Airways cabin crew plan more strikes over 'poverty pay' of '£16,000 a year'
    And some explanation as to why members the public have perception that they get pay more than that really are http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2017/03/23/british-airways-cabin-crew-salary-and-benefits-2017/
    and with the loss from IT failures you can see a substantial drop in performance related part of the pay.

Edited by: "splender" 2nd Jun

I don't understand striking in the private sector. If you aren't happy with the package then go join a rival airline, there are plenty out there. If they are offering the same then it's time to find a different industry, it's not like it's a vocation and they can't do anything else.

I do agree if you are not happy working for BA then leave. They signed the contract and must have known how much they would earn per year.

As if we needed yet more reasons to avoid booking / flying BA

chocci

As if we needed yet more reasons to avoid booking / flying BA

​It's always surprised me people booking ba over Ryanair, Ryanair is about half the price and the renew planes are actually pretty good. Only annoyance is the sales if scratches and other junk every the mins

Banned

davewave

Putting aside long serving members of staff, your claim is innacurate. BA treat their newest recruits with absolute contempt. The unions are capitalising on recent events to focus BA attention. Like it or not it's good tactics.

I fly out of the country on the 16th and so glad (after flying long haul with BA in March) I chose to use a different airline. Thankfully.

Don't believe the propoganda. BA is NOT the worlds greatest airline.

eslick

got to love our national carrier

It's not a national carrier many a decade, it's also now a EU company, Brexit is going to hit BA hard! Get your shares out.

3dprince

Putting aside long serving members of staff, your claim is innacurate. BA … Putting aside long serving members of staff, your claim is innacurate. BA treat their newest recruits with absolute contempt. The unions are capitalising on recent events to focus BA attention. Like it or not it's good tactics.I fly out of the country on the 16th and so glad (after flying long haul with BA in March) I chose to use a different airline. Thankfully.Don't believe the propoganda. BA is NOT the worlds greatest airline.

It's never been the greatest, as for propaganda it's never been the favourite either, strong and stable it ain't #Toryairline

splender

British Airways cabin crew plan more strikes over 'poverty pay' of … British Airways cabin crew plan more strikes over 'poverty pay' of '£16,000 a year'.And some explanation as to why members the public have perception that they get pay more than that really are http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2017/03/23/british-airways-cabin-crew-salary-and-benefits-2017/.and with the loss from IT failures you can see a substantial drop in performance related part of the pay.

There are many people who would love a £16000 to £21000 a year job, and I'm not talking Europeans, Brits.

Maybe they need work experience in retail filling shelves for a month on night shift on minimum wage. I'm against corporate greed for sure but to plead that is a poverty wage when minimum wage full time is under £14K of which approx £12 is out of tax is not a poverty wage, it's not great granted but the use of poverty wage by unions is uncalled for, maybe the unions can start backing DWP/Tax Credits - under poverty.

£21000 and child tax credits (again I'm against the state topping up wages) gov.uk/gov…are is not poverty

Frankly all schools should be providing FREE childcare pre school. We outsourced residential care and childcare to the private market, & made it even more costly to administer via more public staff jobs than teachers/nursery staff in the ground.

I may not agree with everything Jezza Corbs stands for but he's right about a lot, the admin of state benefits to pay private is a double + cost for less frontline.

Poverty is caused not only by companies but successive governments, handing tax credits to parents but capping working hours is state enduced poverty entrapment.

seaniboy

It's not a national carrier many a decade, it's also now a EU company, … It's not a national carrier many a decade, it's also now a EU company, Brexit is going to hit BA hard! Get your shares out.

It is still classed as our national carrier, it still has the British flag even though it's merged with Iberia,

Not often the DM writes a good article but this one is spot on.

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

Flying to crete with them on the 5th july hope they dont decide to do another one a couple of weeks later

eslick

It is still classed as our national carrier, it still has the British … It is still classed as our national carrier, it still has the British flag even though it's merged with Iberia, Not often the DM writes a good article but this one is spot on.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4550574/British-Airways-doesn-t-deserve-says-Robert-Hardman.html

It should have been part of privatisation that the named had to be phased out within x years, but that's Tories for you, slap dash privatisation of quickness off the books no thought for long term effects on people or the country.

I mainly only use BA metal through OneWorld partners, never direct. It's much cheaper getting a OneWorld connection to LHR indirect than BA. Usually twice/thrice cheaper than booking a BA flight to LHR direct and booking luggage right through partner flights at checkin, also a lot quicker too!

In 2007 a BA flight from EDI - LHR was £129, via Qantas I paid $30/£15 to join it to a LHR-SIN itinerary, that was a RTN itinerary £7.50 each way to/from LHR. The cheapest I found online was about £60/70 with EasyJet before baggage.

It is always worth checking with a OneWorld partner if you are leaving LHR how much they charge for a connection fare.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?2486
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1117
      3. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?917
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416151

See more discussions