Posted 16th Dec 2022 (Posted 13 h, 6 m ago)
Hi,
thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any advice. so I moved into a property on 4th November this year and registered with British gas on that day. I never recieved the £66 on my smart meter so I contacted them and I was assured I would be sent a voucher as they were unable to automatically add the credit as it was a new account. I have been in touch a couple more times and again been assured that the voucher is on its way but the royal mail strikes are delaying it. today I contacted them and they told me that they will not be paying it as I am not entitled, I had to be in the property in October to recieve it. can anyone advise me on wether they are right which seems unfair and if not what I can do. I have spent just short of 11 hours on hold with them in the last month, it's driving me crazy. thanks again for any help you can provide.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Yes but:

"You’ll still get the discount if:
    you move to a new address"

Get an email address and get everything in writing Aaron. Saves you waiting on hold, you have a record and any mistakes they make can be used as a stick to beat them with.

If you're finding it difficult to get definitive answers try and put the ball on their court, tell them you've read the above (for example) on the .gov website and ask them why they seem to be in breach of this. Maybe they tell you to go to your old provider.

Point out the amount of time you have wasted chasing this and ask to be compensated.

*I only scanned the .gov page so I don't know if you're eligible
  2. Avatar
    So guess your first payment would've been 4 December, thought you'd get the 67 quid off then sounds like someone at British gas is reading the wrong script
    Author
    Yeah my first one was the December. I'm not going to starve or owt if I don't get the money but times are difficult and that money would be handy.
  3. Avatar
    [deleted]
    Author
    That's what is supposed to happen but obviously british gas don't want to hand all of that money out
Top Merchants