British Gas Home are renewal

Posted 12th Nov
I've received an invitation to renew from British Gas on my Homecare services with the premium going up. I rang them and they only reduced by £4 for the whole year.

So the way I see it is that I have the following options

1. Renew.
2. Go somewhere else.
3. Cancel and wait for ring back or let the cover lapse and go back to BG after 6 weeks or so as a new customer.

I am tempted to go for option 3 as 1 and 2 do not seem appealing.

Has anybody here cancelled and gone back as a new customer ? How long before BG will determine you to be a new customer?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
I have not cancelled, but I let the cover lapse for about six weeks at the end of last year's policy.

I signed-up again thereafter & was asked to book a boiler inspection appointment (as if I was a new customer).

Never bothered. Still covered.
Mine was due for renewal in september and went ahead and cancelled it. Then signed up again a week later with the exact same details and it went through. I was expecting it not to go through but it did.
anselmofa12/11/2019 21:28

Mine was due for renewal in september and went ahead and cancelled it. …Mine was due for renewal in september and went ahead and cancelled it. Then signed up again a week later with the exact same details and it went through. I was expecting it not to go through but it did.

So did you get new customer benefit ? Did they not ask for a boiler inspection to get your cover confirmation?
sydney87112/11/2019 22:10

So did you get new customer benefit ? Did they not ask for a boiler …So did you get new customer benefit ? Did they not ask for a boiler inspection to get your cover confirmation?

If there was an issue on inspection you'd ask BG for a written report to give to the previous maintenance contractor to rectify what should have rectified under the previous contract.
I’d ring them again and speak to a different adviser. They usually have discretion to reduce the new quote by 10%. I usually push for a reduction based on last year’s premium and try and get them to match my current monthly cost plus a £1 or so. I’ve only got Homecare 2 though.
Toptrumpet13/11/2019 12:21

I’d ring them again and speak to a different adviser. They usually have d …I’d ring them again and speak to a different adviser. They usually have discretion to reduce the new quote by 10%. I usually push for a reduction based on last year’s premium and try and get them to match my current monthly cost plus a £1 or so. I’ve only got Homecare 2 though.

Thanks will try this or they play hardball then cancel and ring back just before the actual expiry and see what happens.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions