British Gas Homecare

Posted 8th FebEdited by:"mutley1"
I have british gas homecare landlord insurance for central heating, plumbing and drains.

I have been with british gas for many years and have always found their boiler service to be reliable and their plumbing service to be tolerable but good value.

I have noticed within the last 6 months that the service has deteriorated. Calls take a lot longer to be answered and you have to wait longer to get an engineer to come round for the boiler. The plumbers coming round for the drains is still quite quick.

I have had renewal quotes come through and they have increased significantly, one recently went up by 43%!

Anyone else with british gas homecare having the same experience? I am looking at alternatives but there doesn't seem to be anything out there.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Old dear had similar large increase about 15 months ago. She phoned to complain and was instantly offered £150 discount without any negotiation. She was so insensed at the concept of BG being able to afford immediate one-third discount (implying her long-standing custom was otherwise being abused) she immediately terminated the policy. Although the existing but aged heating system was working fine she had new boiler fitted a few weeks later to negate need for boiler cover and drains cover was shuffled to Homecare in a £1 intro policy. She decided plumbing cover was not required, nor keys cover. Electrician neighbour had previously sorted a few non-emergency jobs at reasonable cost and she was happy to use that route if she had any subsequent electrical issues. Arguably saved about £500 on policies to date, although optional Homecare renewal is looming.
Even though British Gas are more expensive, I would stick them and just negotiate the price with their Customer Services. The Agents are able to give a 10% reduction on the renewal quote. I would just ask yourself if you really need the cover you currently have or down grade to another cover plan perhaps to save money.
I have had a few problems with British Gas but sometimes it depends on which Engineers you get, but the problem has always been solved in the end. The only thing I don’t like is that they want you organise everything online now.
Glad I read this because I hadn’t even thought about seeing if I can get them to bring the price down. I’ve never had to use their call out services as my boiler and radiators have been fine (touch wood) so we have just have the annual boiler service. What I have noticed with this though is that they aren’t consistent, we have had someone different every year and every time something new is brought up that should have been mentioned the previous year, for example, one noticed after a few years of service that the fuse was wrong in the socket and that should have been picked up before. Last year they mentioned something that they recommended should be done due to updated regulations post boiler installation that has been mentioned every year but this time the guy actually fitted the part, why did the others not bother doing it if it was so quick and easy? One guy did go out his way to explain in detail to my husband how to flush the system as there was too much chemical, saved us a fortune.
AndyRoyd08/02/2020 12:42

Old dear had similar large increase about 15 months ago. She phoned to …Old dear had similar large increase about 15 months ago. She phoned to complain and was instantly offered £150 discount without any negotiation. She was so insensed at the concept of BG being able to afford immediate one-third discount (implying her long-standing custom was otherwise being abused) she immediately terminated the policy. Although the existing but aged heating system was working fine she had new boiler fitted a few weeks later to negate need for boiler cover and drains cover was shuffled to Homecare in a £1 intro policy. She decided plumbing cover was not required, nor keys cover. Electrician neighbour had previously sorted a few non-emergency jobs at reasonable cost and she was happy to use that route if she had any subsequent electrical issues. Arguably saved about £500 on policies to date, although optional Homecare renewal is looming.

i have always called them when i get a renewal letter and ask if they could review the renewal quote as often they increase by 14% even if there has not been a call out for service except for the annual scheduled boiler service. they do increase the premium annually but i did not notice much difference in the increase between a property that had a few call outs and one that had no call out so the increase seems to be applied as a standard increase across policies.

this year they said that they can no longer review policy renewals as they have been told that they can't give discounts any more and that the only thing that they can do is to get a quote for you as a new customer and offer you that. on one property this worked out quite well and i got a discount, not huge but at least something. on a recent one, they said the quote as a new customer came out more so they can't budge on the price.

i am getting a bit concerned at the level of service dropping from british gas homecare for central heating cover as well so it is a bit cheeky to increase the price while reducing the level of service provided. i wondered what other people's experience of british gas homecare have been in recent months. whether i am just unlucky or whether the service is deteriorating.
How much do you pay a month ?

People mess up with this big time and pay £100s over the odds

Do what i did

Used my banks home insurance and added home emergency on for £3 a month .

Covers me £1000 per call out

Boiler
Water leaks
Pest
Lock smiths

The list goes on
ashmac08/02/2020 18:43

How much do you pay a month ?People mess up with this big time and pay …How much do you pay a month ?People mess up with this big time and pay £100s over the odds Do what i did Used my banks home insurance and added home emergency on for £3 a month .Covers me £1000 per call out BoilerWater leaks Pest Lock smiths The list goes on

i was paying £318 for central heating, landlord gas safety certificate and plumbing and drains. this year it has gone up to £454, of which £144 is for plumbing and drains.

the reason i state that i have landlord cover in the original post is that when i looked at other quotes, they don't cover tenanted properties, only owner occupier, not even if you get your own gas safety certificate. not that in practice there is any difference to risk as to whether the property is owner occupier or tenanted. this is even more bizarre when it comes to plumbing and drains cover.
mutley108/02/2020 19:07

i was paying £318 for central heating, landlord gas safety certificate and …i was paying £318 for central heating, landlord gas safety certificate and plumbing and drains. this year it has gone up to £454, of which £144 is for plumbing and drains.the reason i state that i have landlord cover in the original post is that when i looked at other quotes, they don't cover tenanted properties, only owner occupier, not even if you get your own gas safety certificate. not that in practice there is any difference to risk as to whether the property is owner occupier or tenanted. this is even more bizarre when it comes to plumbing and drains cover.

Tenants tend to not take as much care to the property they stay in or let things 'fester' longer, causing possibly more complex repairs etc
Its common for a lot of services to charge more for rented properties, just like (i assume) you charge your tenants more than the mortgage payments for the property
mutley108/02/2020 19:07

i was paying £318 for central heating, landlord gas safety certificate and …i was paying £318 for central heating, landlord gas safety certificate and plumbing and drains. this year it has gone up to £454, of which £144 is for plumbing and drains.the reason i state that i have landlord cover in the original post is that when i looked at other quotes, they don't cover tenanted properties, only owner occupier, not even if you get your own gas safety certificate. not that in practice there is any difference to risk as to whether the property is owner occupier or tenanted. this is even more bizarre when it comes to plumbing and drains cover.

I pay about £50 a year for everything unlimited call out at £1000 a pop

If your with Halifax home insurance add there home emergency cover

Save yours self big money
duggie198208/02/2020 19:15

Tenants tend to not take as much care to the property they stay in or let …Tenants tend to not take as much care to the property they stay in or let things 'fester' longer, causing possibly more complex repairs etc Its common for a lot of services to charge more for rented properties, just like (i assume) you charge your tenants more than the mortgage payments for the property

i suppose you do have a point there. our tenants often let a leak continue without reporting the issue until water has poured down the ceiling or the boiler has packed up and they don't have any hot water or heating, then it becomes an emergency!
ashmac08/02/2020 19:17

I pay about £50 a year for everything unlimited call out at £1000 a pop If …I pay about £50 a year for everything unlimited call out at £1000 a pop If your with Halifax home insurance add there home emergency cover Save yours self big money

i have landlord building insurance and that does give you the choice of adding on emergency cover. i am worried that their service may be no good though and for a tenanted property, i need a reliable cover policy.

have you had to call out for emergency repair with halifax home insurance?
Do you really need plumbing and drains?
Mine are all flats, so the plumbing and drains will be covered in the buildings insurance (I think).
I only do the landlords cover Homecare 2 which covers boiler and controls, and radiators and valves. I pay around £18 per month (within the M25) but bearing in mind that includes the Gas Cert which would cost me around £80 separately, for peace of mind I think the price is acceptable. I’ve been on the receiving end of a tenant’s wrath without hot water and at that point I’d’ve paid anything to get a plumber out within 48 hours.
British Gas will always increase their prices every year and although you might not have claimed in the year, the boiler will have depreciated and the parts will be harder to source. I don’t care if they give me a 10% discount (I do mention I have 4 other Homecare agreements with them) or if they put me down as a new customer, as long as I get a monthly price I’m happy with, I’ll take it.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Feb
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 19:21

Do you really need plumbing and drains?Mine are all flats, so the plumbing …Do you really need plumbing and drains?Mine are all flats, so the plumbing and drains will be covered in the buildings insurance (I think). I only do the landlords cover Homecare 2 which covers boiler and controls, and radiators and valves. I pay around £18 per month (within the M25) but bearing in mind that includes the Gas Cert which would cost me around £80 separately, for peace of mind I think the price is acceptable. I’ve been on the receiving end of a tenant’s wrath without hot water and at that point I’d’ve paid anything to get a plumber out within 48 hours. British Gas will always increase their prices every year and although you might not have claimed in the year, the boiler will have depreciated and the partswill be harder to source.

for this property yes. i don't have plumbing and drains for all properties, just the troublesome ones, and this one is one of them. i was thinking maybe drop the radiators as i saw on their website that you can get boiler only and exclude the radiators/central heating as i have never had any issue with the radiators there except once.
mutley108/02/2020 19:25

for this property yes. i don't have plumbing and drains for all …for this property yes. i don't have plumbing and drains for all properties, just the troublesome ones, and this one is one of them. i was thinking maybe drop the radiators as i saw on their website that you can get boiler only and exclude the radiators/central heating as i have never had any issue with the radiators there except once.

What’s the price difference then between Homecare 1 and 2, if it’s only a few £’s per month then go for the Homecare 2, if it’s a lot different and you think the radiators etc are ok, then go for the 1.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Feb
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 19:32

What’s the price difference then between Homecare 1 and 2, if it’s only a f …What’s the price difference then between Homecare 1 and 2, if it’s only a few £’s per month then go for the Homecare 2, if it’s a lot different and you think the radiators etc are ok, then go for the 1.

good point, i hadn't looked at the comparison as i just want to bring the cost down. from their website homecare one is £3 pm cheaper than homecare 2 so i would save £36 pa. not a huge amount but may be worth taking a punt as the radiators tend to be fine in properties as not much can go wrong with them. they can leak but that is rare.
mutley108/02/2020 19:36

good point, i hadn't looked at the comparison as i just want to bring the …good point, i hadn't looked at the comparison as i just want to bring the cost down. from their website homecare one is £3 pm cheaper than homecare 2 so i would save £36 pa. not a huge amount but may be worth taking a punt as the radiators tend to be fine in properties as not much can go wrong with them. they can leak but that is rare.

For the extra £36 a yearI’d stick with Homecare 2. You just know as soon as you downgrade, something will go wrong.
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 19:39

For the extra £36 a yearI’d stick with Homecare 2. You just know as soon as …For the extra £36 a yearI’d stick with Homecare 2. You just know as soon as you downgrade, something will go wrong.

i think you are right. i did this at another property, where there wasn't any problem with the plumbing and drains for a couple of years so i thought all was safe. as soon as i cancelled the plumbing and drains, the drain flooded! i had to pay dynorod a one off fee of £99 to unblock it as well as take out plumbing and drains cover again! sod's law.
Some policies have an excess on them. Had a letter through the post today from Homeserve - bargain price, something like £1 a month for plumbing and drains for the first year, but it did say there was a £30 excess per call out, and of course it was for owner/occupier properties only.
Just make your life as simple as possible. I’ve learnt that now.
JimboParrot08/02/2020 19:42

Some policies have an excess on them. Had a letter through the post today …Some policies have an excess on them. Had a letter through the post today from Homeserve - bargain price, something like £1 a month for plumbing and drains for the first year, but it did say there was a £30 excess per call out, and of course it was for owner/occupier properties only.

british gas offer policies with excess as well but i don't think the discount is big enough to justify the excess. yeah, i think i got the homeserve plumbing and drains letter the other day and it had a £30 excess.
I use 247 for my boiler and drains cover, this on is on 3 rental properties and my own home.

I pay around £27 per month for each of them which gives a year service and a gas safty certificates

They do try to sell upgrades etc to you all the time but they do come out and fix things promptly.
markvirgo08/02/2020 21:45

I use 247 for my boiler and drains cover, this on is on 3 rental …I use 247 for my boiler and drains cover, this on is on 3 rental properties and my own home. I pay around £27 per month for each of them which gives a year service and a gas safty certificatesThey do try to sell upgrades etc to you all the time but they do come out and fix things promptly.

i looked on their website and they quote boiler and central heating cover for £300 including gas safety certificate. i am getting this for £310 from british gas. for the extra £10, i am happy to stay with british gas. 247 doesn't offer plumbing and drains to landlord.
mutley108/02/2020 19:21

i have landlord building insurance and that does give you the choice of …i have landlord building insurance and that does give you the choice of adding on emergency cover. i am worried that their service may be no good though and for a tenanted property, i need a reliable cover policy.have you had to call out for emergency repair with halifax home insurance?

Lots of time

When I had a leak they sent dyno rod

Wasp nets

And 5 boiler call outs they sent well known company’s out
ashmac09/02/2020 19:47

Lots of time When I had a leak they sent dyno rod Wasp nets And 5 boiler …Lots of time When I had a leak they sent dyno rod Wasp nets And 5 boiler call outs they sent well known company’s out

that is good to know. i may use them for my own home in future. i have buildings insurance with axa but i have just looked on their website and they don't seem to offer home emergency cover with buildings insurance, only with contents insurance.

do you know whether halifax home insurance gives you the emergency cover with building insurance only?
I'd be VERY careful with these via home insurance policies. I've just had an issue with Admiral where they were great at coming out and doing the work etc. but the T&C's stated that work was 'only temporary' and as such anything which was going to permanently fix it was not within the scope of the policy.

My (smart) thermostat failed meaning no hot water or heating and it took them ages to argue that it was a temp fix to replace it because in most cases it would be a permanent fix to do so. The only reason I managed to swing it being temporary fix was that I was going to reinstall another smart thermostat (tado) which was being sent via warranty replacement but from Germany.
markmc99909/02/2020 20:09

I'd be VERY careful with these via home insurance policies. I've just had …I'd be VERY careful with these via home insurance policies. I've just had an issue with Admiral where they were great at coming out and doing the work etc. but the T&C's stated that work was 'only temporary' and as such anything which was going to permanently fix it was not within the scope of the policy. My (smart) thermostat failed meaning no hot water or heating and it took them ages to argue that it was a temp fix to replace it because in most cases it would be a permanent fix to do so. The only reason I managed to swing it being temporary fix was that I was going to reinstall another smart thermostat (tado) which was being sent via warranty replacement but from Germany.

very true. insurers are notorious for not coughing up by getting you on a technicality. i called my buildings insurance once to put in a claim for a damaged fence caused by storm. they took all the details before telling me that it is not covered under my policy as fences are excluded. however as i had called, they would have to log that as a claim against my policy even though they are not going to pay it, what a blooming cheek!

it means that it will affect my premium when i come to renew even though the gits did not pay for the repairs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants