British Gas Homecare.... is it worth it?

26 replies
Found 8th May
Hi Guys as per the title - we are considering taking out British Gas Homecare, basically to cover against any leaks and boiler breakdown. (not quite sure which level of cover to go for)

Over the past few years we have had to call out various local heating engineers to carry out repairs, these have included fixing a new fan and a new pcb (so touch wood these parts shouldn't need fixing for a whilst). Also leak on radiator valves.

I have to say on each occasion we have had local tradesman in, we have had to call them back because things didn't go well, in addition to this the prices haven't been cheap and when we did ask them to come come back to fix things they would often be 2 or 3 days because they were on other jobs - for this reason we are considering looking at taking out the British Gas Homecare.

Please can anyone tell me if they recommend the British Gas Homecare from past experience / likewise if you think its not a good idea can you recommend an alternative please?
Thank Nick

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
26 Comments

My mum uses it as she's got an older boiler. She's had to call them a few times over past few years when boiler has played up. Obviously have to wait for available appointment so sometimes been left with no hot water for day or two.
I don't know if there is similar cheaper elsewhere but because she's had a problem boiler she's saved money by using homecare and not calling out local tradesman .

Just boiler cover is ok. Bit pricey but what do you do if on December 27th your boiler fails. In 10 years we called them out 3 times to fix. Good service. Just paying to much.

Original Poster

Does the homecare cover them fixing the problem and also fitting the parts or do you have to pay for the parts?

The heat exchanger went on mine in the first year, would have cost me £500

I would recommend taking out some sort of boiler care with an annual boiler service (atleast for the first year). This is because British Gas (or whoever else) will check your whole system and service your boiler. Once that is done, you know your system is in good working order. Also, in my experience (especially in London), plumbers and other trademan charge a minimum of £70 to come to just check out the problem. Parts and further labour costs extra. Therefore, it makes sense to take out boiler care and your costs are capped. You also have the assurance that you will get a certified plumber.

Check out this link uswitch.com/boi…on/ to compare boiler care rates. All the best.
Edited by: "JohnnyZee" 8th May

nick1981

Does the homecare cover them fixing the problem and also fitting the … Does the homecare cover them fixing the problem and also fitting the parts or do you have to pay for the parts?

Parts are normally included unless it is an exceptional problem e.g. replacement of boiler etc.

Original Poster

JohnnyZee

Parts are normally included unless it is an exceptional problem e.g. … Parts are normally included unless it is an exceptional problem e.g. replacement of boiler etc.

Thanks Johnny Zee -

Sorry if this is a daft question but if the boiler needs replacing i presume they wont replace it you have to pay for that?

I think mines got a few years left in it but its getting on to around 15 years old now.

just dont go with SSE bolier cover worst company service ever!

check emergency cover on house insurance, covers my boiler for 500 each repair, used it a few times

nick1981

Thanks Johnny Zee - Sorry if this is a daft question but if the boiler … Thanks Johnny Zee - Sorry if this is a daft question but if the boiler needs replacing i presume they wont replace it you have to pay for that?I think mines got a few years left in it but its getting on to around 15 years old now.

Actually I am not fully aware of what happens when boiler needs replacement. But I think I remember being told I could get the boiler replaced for a discounted amount. Also, if you take electricity/gas from British gas, you may also be eligible for discounts on Homecare etc.

just dont go with SSE bolier cover worst company service ever!

Original Poster

I was actually wondering what im already covered for with my house insurance - i will give them a call as i dont want to be taking out extra cover for something i might be potentially already cover on.

deanos

check emergency cover on house insurance, covers my boiler for 500 each … check emergency cover on house insurance, covers my boiler for 500 each repair, used it a few times

nick1981

Thanks Johnny Zee - Sorry if this is a daft question but if the boiler … Thanks Johnny Zee - Sorry if this is a daft question but if the boiler needs replacing i presume they wont replace it you have to pay for that?I think mines got a few years left in it but its getting on to around 15 years old now.

If you got cover then they come once a year to service boiler, so you will get warnings from them that it's on its way out and consider updating

just a heads up - if your boiler is an old one - Are replacement parts still available - we found this out the hard way - our boiler was approx 12 yrs old and playing up they came out to look at it and the pub was dead and we needed a aluminium flue pipe joint replacing - the pub part could be got but the flue joint couldn't be so the condemned the boiler and we needed a new one - we had a quote from BG at £4700 got it done by local company for £2500 - when we phoned to cancel the cover they were very arsey and I had looked in their small print and it said that a refund of monthly payments that had been paid although the boiler was not working would be given if the problem couldn't be sorted - WELL I was rudely spoken to and asked was I having a laugh - told to go away- and reminded that there was going to be a service charge and cancellation charge - we didn't pay either after quite a long heated phone call

Original Poster

This worries me a little as i dont want to be paying for a new boiler just yet (we dont really have the money for it)
My boiler works fine although it is a little old - its a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 - i have no idea if this would be considered for parts to be available or not.

shotatdawn

just a heads up - if your boiler is an old one - Are replacement parts … just a heads up - if your boiler is an old one - Are replacement parts still available - we found this out the hard way - our boiler was approx 12 yrs old and playing up they came out to look at it and the pub was dead and we needed a aluminium flue pipe joint replacing - the pub part could be got but the flue joint couldn't be so the condemned the boiler and we needed a new one - we had a quote from BG at £4700 got it done by local company for £2500 - when we phoned to cancel the cover they were very arsey and I had looked in their small print and it said that a refund of monthly payments that had been paid although the boiler was not working would be given if the problem couldn't be sorted - WELL I was rudely spoken to and asked was I having a laugh - told to go away- and reminded that there was going to be a service charge and cancellation charge - we didn't pay either after quite a long heated phone call

I personally think so, we have had major drain issues which would have cost 1000s, all covered. Have also had expensive boiler repairs needed, all covered again

shotatdawn

just a heads up - if your boiler is an old one - Are replacement parts … just a heads up - if your boiler is an old one - Are replacement parts still available - we found this out the hard way - our boiler was approx 12 yrs old and playing up they came out to look at it and the pub was dead and we needed a aluminium flue pipe joint replacing - the pub part could be got but the flue joint couldn't be so the condemned the boiler and we needed a new one - we had a quote from BG at £4700 got it done by local company for £2500 - when we phoned to cancel the cover they were very arsey and I had looked in their small print and it said that a refund of monthly payments that had been paid although the boiler was not working would be given if the problem couldn't be sorted - WELL I was rudely spoken to and asked was I having a laugh - told to go away- and reminded that there was going to be a service charge and cancellation charge - we didn't pay either after quite a long heated phone call

They should have picked up on this on the first "service" surely. They did when we moved house and said they couldn't cover it fully and gave me the option of a "one star" service or cancel

wouldnt trust bg, they have a habit of saying they cant get parts and try and flog a overpriced boiler even with discounts

nick1981

BG seem to put a 7-10year age qualification on replacment bolier claims. Not clear what happens for instances of boliers over 7-10years old. From t&c:
What's covered: A replacement for your boiler if we can’t repair it and:
It’s less than seven years old
Or, it’s between seven and ten years old, we installed it and it’s been continuously covered by British Gas under either a warranty or HomeCare agreement
Or, it caught fire or exploded, providing you gave us access to carry out your annual service every year since we first covered you.

we have British gas if the boiler is older than ten years they will continue to service it but each service will recommend a new boiler at a discounted rate, however this is still alot more than a local trades doing the replacement, what you don't want is something going on the boiler and there are no parts to repair it, in this case they will shut the boiler down, price wise they are not cheap, however we call them out once a year in addition to the annual service for small thing like replacement valves etc, our last repair would have cos ,£600 locally for replacement tank, thermo, PCB, so well.worth it, at the renewal ask for a reduction in price they usual knock off about 10% as a loyality discount, worth the punt overall, we got boiler, heating and control cover with British gas and plumbing with Thames water who use home serve, call out times are usually fairly good
Edited by: "rish77" 8th May

I can't rate British gas enough my boiler broke down on New Year's Eve and someone was out to fix it 2 hours after I called them

deanos

check emergency cover on house insurance, covers my boiler for 500 each … check emergency cover on house insurance, covers my boiler for 500 each repair, used it a few times

+1

Sheilas wheels includes home emergency cover as standard

Used it 3 times in 5 years for heating repairs. Each time, a plumber arrived within 3 hours.

shotatdawn

£2,500 for a boiler? oO

Yes as british gas is reliable whereas getting someone, you may end up with a dodgy engineer, or one that tries to make money off you by pretending the work is more complex or needs replacements that are not needed.

British gas also offer annual service as part of the contract, so your boiler will last longer. Not always easy to get an engineer out of the blue to come round quickly that is cheap if you don't have an annual contract.

Check out energy saving Scotland / England might be able to get a free boiler and heating system installed (think they now comes with 5 years+ warranty)

I bought a flat and 2 year later the boiler packed in and someone in work gave me there number and they installed new pipes, radiators (nice big ones) and a boiler, also got my walls filled in, under floor Draft stuff and money for energy saving light builbs, (ended up buying LED, (they where not covered at the time) all for free. total cost i would say was around 4000-5000 and the chaps done it all in about 1/2=3/4 of a day. but the down side was i had to replace my laminate flooring( was in the house when i moved in) to nice wooden flooring at a cost of £1000 ( i fitted it my self)

also they will update your windows, this i was not able to get as windows where a year old. so not sure what need to be wrong with them to get them.

Edited by: "djmackie2000" 8th May

In my experience British Gas Homecare is the best. I had a boiler breakdown on New Years Day and the engineer arrived later the same day. I have the homecare 2 option which includes the annual service where this year the hot water valve was sticking, the engineer did the annual inspection and then rang through to an actual maintenance engineer who arrived less than an hour later to replace the item free of charge as the call out was done by the service engineer rather than myself reporting a problem thus saving the excess payable on the policy. I pay around £13 per month as I'm within the M25. When you do an initial online quote, just see if your current boiler make and model comes up.
As with all large companies it sometimes depends on the engineers who turn up, but I would recommend BG for peace of mind.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Android pay set up610
    2. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    3. Christmas presents510
    4. Mobile phone advice33

See more discussions