British Gas Homecare - Plumbing leak what is the level of cover ?

Found 14th Sep 2015
Hi
Can someone who has used British Gas Homecare for Plumbing care clarify how it works and how they cover it?
I may have a leak in the pipes (not sure if its the leaky grout in the tiles or the pipe leading to the shower). Homecare info says they cover leaks from pipes leading to and back from the shower.(britishgas.co.uk/con…pdf ).

My question is if they want to investigate if the leak is coming from the pipes leading to the shower - they'll need to get rid of tiles and get access behind the dry wall........ so who pays for that or do they cover the expenses including putting it back? Anyone had a similar problem or know how this works? Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I've not dealt with them but they should be able to use an ultrasonic leak detector to listen for leaks without opening a wall though I don't know if they use this equipment I would expect a big company to. The benefit of this equipment is small leaks are actually easier to hear than big leaks. If you aren't sure if its perished grout or a leak then don't use the shower for a couple days and if it dries up you have your answer without calling anyone.
I'm pretty sure they won't cover making good after finding and repairing the leak. I've never heard of them using any fancy equipment - just a bit of common sense. If the leak is constant it's probably from pipework. If its only when the shower is in use then it's more likely grout/silicone failure or the trap/waste pipe is leaking. Also don't forget to inspect the tray thoroughly, I find a lot of hairline cracks in cheap fibre glass trays that are poorly fitted.

If the shower pipes are on a stud wall you can often drill a hole the other side and look from 'behind' the shower, much easier to make good afterwards.
BG biggest rip off ever. You won't get a penny, they'll just say it's not in the T&C.
dereklogan7

BG biggest rip off ever. You won't get a penny, they'll just say it's not … BG biggest rip off ever. You won't get a penny, they'll just say it's not in the T&C.

​I think you're probably right, what you have to remember is that most British Gas engineers (using the term very loosely) are just salesmen trying to earn commission by getting you to pay for extra work that is not covered or actually needed.
I'd get them to investigate the best they can without causing damage and then claim on your house insurance for any in wall leaks that need sorting out. Depending on how good the insurance policy you bought was you should be able to get any investigation damage repaired. Under British Gas I only get the Central heating covered, was disappointed when the told me they couldn't change the seals on my taps to stop dripping taps. Sales man swore blind that they covered this but it isn't listed in their leaflet.
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/plumbing-and-drains/plumbing-and-drains-cover/
Oh yeah accidental damage isn't quite covered either. I had a tight bolt connecting my toilet basin to the tank and had to sign a waiver in case it cracked whilst getting it off oO

I'd only go for Homecare 200 and the appliance repair.
I called them out when a hot water valve was leaking.
It had never been used for years and had seized up but i needed it off to install a shower.
Started leaking when i turned it on again but they changed it no problem.
ZaphodBeeblebrox

I've not dealt with them but they should be able to use an ultrasonic … I've not dealt with them but they should be able to use an ultrasonic leak detector to listen for leaks without opening a wall though I don't know if they use this equipment I would expect a big company to. The benefit of this equipment is small leaks are actually easier to hear than big leaks. If you aren't sure if its perished grout or a leak then don't use the shower for a couple days and if it dries up you have your answer without calling anyone.

What's this bit of kit you're talking about?
It's called trace and access , which isn't covered on 99% of policy's. Only if your are a prestigious various multi policy holder will they make good any access points .
Steve Mac

What's this bit of kit you're talking about?

It's basically a sensitive microphone which works in the ultrasonic range. When you have a very small leak it makes an ultrasonic noise which the Mic picks up and converts to a meter reading and/or audible sound.
ZaphodBeeblebrox

It's basically a sensitive microphone which works in the ultrasonic … It's basically a sensitive microphone which works in the ultrasonic range. When you have a very small leak it makes an ultrasonic noise which the Mic picks up and converts to a meter reading and/or audible sound.

Do you work for the water board?
the policy does not cover getting access to the leak if they have to take up floorboards, tiles, plaster etc and definately no making good. we had dynorod use the fancy ultrasound machine once but we have a portfolio of properties with them
Steve Mac

Do you work for the water board?

No
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants