British Gas Smart Meter

Posted 19th Dec 2019
Hi

We moves to British Gas and got the new smart meter fitted. When we turn on heating the gas symbol lights up but when heating is turned off the gas symbol stays on for couple extra minutes.

is this normal?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
Yes. Mine stays on for alot longer than a few mins. I dont think its charging you.
SteMoss19/12/2019 22:17

Yes. Mine stays on for alot longer than a few mins. I dont think its …Yes. Mine stays on for alot longer than a few mins. I dont think its charging you.

Awesome.

uff so close of getting heart attack LMAO.

gas use for today is £2.38 which is normal?
It could be normal for your usage yes.
couple of possible reasons

the unit may be alight when the boiler is using electricity such as powering the pump. all boilers 'overrun' when the gas goes off so keep water moving and stop heat build up in the flow pipes where the v hot water exits the boiler

even after that, there may be a sampling period involved. The remote unit may only 'talk' to the boiler every minute or two minutes. Remote devices do this to reduce power usage where they are battery powered.

I am using £3-4pd for HW & CH right now in a 25 year old family house. The heating is set to 19.5 or 20 degrees for toasty warmth. £2.38 sounds nice to me. Depends on size of house, how you heat water, insulation etc. The bigger question may be 'hwo much can I reduce it by?'.
As ccnp said, smart gas meters run off a battery so it only communicates with your display every 5 - 30 mins depending on the model to save power. You will only be paying for what you actually use though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions