British Gas to increase the cost for those on credit meters

Found 17th May
This is one of my pet hates, why do the poor have to pay more
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
grex91014 h, 29 m ago

If it encourages the poor to better themselves and learn how to manage …If it encourages the poor to better themselves and learn how to manage their money, all the better.Sick of people playing the victims due to situations of their own making.

What if they are actual victims and just not playing the victims. Not everyone is as aware and intelligent as you.
27 Comments
this is totally disgusting

Keep the poor, poor
It's a national disgrace. Anyone with a pre-paid meter should get the best price. Zero risk for the energy company. Landlords like to use these, heaven knows why because they're not responsible for any unpaid bills. I believe a tenant can arrange the removal of the meter if they get it reinstalled when leaving. I don't think it has to cost them anything to do this.
OllieSt8 m ago

It's a national disgrace. Anyone with a pre-paid meter should get the …It's a national disgrace. Anyone with a pre-paid meter should get the best price. Zero risk for the energy company. Landlords like to use these, heaven knows why because they're not responsible for any unpaid bills. I believe a tenant can arrange the removal of the meter if they get it reinstalled when leaving. I don't think it has to cost them anything to do this.

These are normally used for people with poor credit score but ultimately are used to punish those who are the most vulnerable. I can remember a friend's meter that charged a high interest rate for using the emergency credit. If left long enough it was almost impossible to top it up completely so you ended up in debt and paying that high level of interest.
clearly there is a need for these but they should be installed free and to pay the cheapest tariff available - same as those who pay DD or quartly bill
They cost more to run thats why they charge more per unit and are often used to pay an outstanding debt.
Edited by: "longbowassassin" 17th May
The CEOs are like Carillion's, they are here to extract wealth, even from the poor, hardly any of them create wealth anymore in this country. They have a personal big picture view of personal economic gain and they work excellently hard. They are not here anymore for the national economic gain in value.

Mariana Mazzucato and her economic books.

Redefining Economic Value | Mariana Mazzucato |
RSA Replay (YouTube video) live stream at the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce26 Apr 2018

For example, a quote from Penguin Books:-

We often hear businesses, entrepreneurs or sectors talking about themselves as ‘wealth-creating’. The contexts may differ – finance, big pharma or small start-ups – but the self-descriptions are similar: I am a particularly productive member of the economy, my activities create wealth, I take big ‘risks’, and so I deserve a higher income than people who simply benefit from the spillovers of this activity. But what if, in the end, these descriptions are simply just stories? Narratives created in order to justify inequalities of wealth and income, massively rewarding the few who are able to convince governments and society that they deserve high rewards, while the rest of us make do with the leftovers.
They call it value creation but, as in the financial sector itself, the reality is often the opposite: value extraction.

Edited by: "splender" 17th May
longbowassassin25 m ago

They cost more to run thats why they charge more per unit and are often …They cost more to run thats why they charge more per unit and are often used to pay an outstanding debt.

How do they cost more to run?
julieallen29 m ago

When you pay by direct debit. The bank charges a fee to the company for the transaction. As it’s one of millions a day it isn’t that much.
Sell credit top ups in store, the retailer deals in smaller numbers of transactions and needs a bigger cut.
This adds to the over heads.
Oneday777 m ago

When you pay by direct debit. The bank charges a fee to the company for …When you pay by direct debit. The bank charges a fee to the company for the transaction. As it’s one of millions a day it isn’t that much. Sell credit top ups in store, the retailer deals in smaller numbers of transactions and needs a bigger cut. This adds to the over heads.

this is true, but, so what? they are still making millions for the share holders and the arrears they are paying off, should that not be an incentive to charge the same as the rest of us as the arrears would be paid off sooner
julieallen40 m ago

Use some common sense buddy its too late for spoon feeding, or do you think it costs less?
longbowassassin1 h, 21 m ago

They cost more to run thats why they charge more per unit and are often …They cost more to run thats why they charge more per unit and are often used to pay an outstanding debt.

julieallen55 m ago

longbowassassin15 m ago

Use some common sense buddy its too late for spoon feeding, or do you …Use some common sense buddy its too late for spoon feeding, or do you think it costs less?

What do you mean by cost more to run? How do you calculate cost comparison to demonstrate a "cost more" or "cost less"? Moreover, how would you define the word "cost"?
miles13626 m ago

this is true, but, so what? they are still making millions for the share …this is true, but, so what? they are still making millions for the share holders and the arrears they are paying off, should that not be an incentive to charge the same as the rest of us as the arrears would be paid off sooner

I never said I agreed with it.
The reality is the more something costs to do, over cheaper alternatives. Businesses will charge more.
longbowassassin34 m ago

Use some common sense buddy its too late for spoon feeding, or do you …Use some common sense buddy its too late for spoon feeding, or do you think it costs less?

A retailer gets 7p for a card or key top up, yet they get 10p for a bill payment. How is 7p more than 10p?
If a customer gets smart meters installed, on prepayment, they can top up using debit/credit cards, which will be no different to someone getting a bill every month/3 months, paying by card.
Non prepayment customers need bills generating, do you think they are free?
There is no bad debt risk with a customer who has pre-payment meters in, whereas someone who doesn't can default.
They get the money in advance for pre-payment, whereas could wait 4 months from day 1 of someone on a quarterly bill, therefore can get interest.

Feel free to explain how it costs more though.
There has always been good money in targeting the poor end of the market. Its not always fair but purely as a business decision it makes perfect sense to do this.

Remember companies like BG are purely there to serve the interests of their shareholders and not the poor customers. Could be much worse for the poor, they could decide that its not worth the hassle and simply stop pre-payment meters.
We should include 'plc' after our names and all act like c#*#*.
Just goes to show how slimy BG is by putting up energy bills for the poor just before the Governments price cap comes into force later his year.
If it encourages the poor to better themselves and learn how to manage their money, all the better.
Sick of people playing the victims due to situations of their own making.
grex91014 h, 29 m ago

If it encourages the poor to better themselves and learn how to manage …If it encourages the poor to better themselves and learn how to manage their money, all the better.Sick of people playing the victims due to situations of their own making.

What if they are actual victims and just not playing the victims. Not everyone is as aware and intelligent as you.
jimmy_the_fridge33 m ago

What if they are actual victims and just not playing the victims. Not …What if they are actual victims and just not playing the victims. Not everyone is as aware and intelligent as you.

Yes its almost the same as a doctor blaming the patient...
Why is everyone here assuming that all households that have pre-payment meters are poor?

I live in private rented accommodation and am far from being poor yet I have a pre-payment meter. I find it easier to use and know how much I am spending, it also shows my kids how much electricity and gas they use (waste) by how quick the "top-up" gets used.. rather than waiting 4 months and getting a massive bill to pay.

My landlord had it installed when the previous tenants moved in (4 students) at their request. He has told me I can replace it if I wish but I prefer to keep it in.
I think the terms used are confusing as highlighted in this thread.

I had a pre-payment meter but when I switched suppliers they changed it to a credit meter (their terms).

So a credit meter is when you pay a lump sum at the end of a certain period (month, quarter)
A pre-payment meter is when you pay up front on a top up card.

So I assume this thread is relating to pre-payment meter costs going up, not credit meters?
grex910113 h, 40 m ago

So you think the poor should pay more for their gas/electricity per kWh than the wealthy. I say you should rethink what makes you 'sick'
arcangel1117 h, 57 m ago

Why is everyone here assuming that all households that have pre-payment …Why is everyone here assuming that all households that have pre-payment meters are poor?I live in private rented accommodation and am far from being poor yet I have a pre-payment meter. I find it easier to use and know how much I am spending, it also shows my kids how much electricity and gas they use (waste) by how quick the "top-up" gets used.. rather than waiting 4 months and getting a massive bill to pay.My landlord had it installed when the previous tenants moved in (4 students) at their request. He has told me I can replace it if I wish but I prefer to keep it in.

Have to say a bit surprised at that but I suppose it is a free country and all
I do know someone who is in the habit of spending every last penny of their wages as soon as they get them
and having a pre-pay meter suits them

But direct debit is so much easier as well as cheaper

Had a family member on pre-payment nightmare endlessly losing the key not topping up enough and sending muggings here to do it
took a few white lies to get them to switch a couple of years ago
but I dare say you are more organised

Myself I had landlords once who insisted on me having one but they were really nice and the rent was super cheap.
When I moved here had per-pay on gas and electric sse wanted 54 pounds on each to remove them
so switched to BG who did it for free.

As to it keeping people poor well it isn't great and the energy companies are culpable in not upgrading everyone to smart meters
but it is far from the worse thing out there
parts of our tax system are insanely unfair for instants.
What surprises you wongy?

I'm also with BG and they asked if I wanted a smart meter fitted.. think i'll be taking them up on that offer in the next month or so. I got sent the Hive stuff but have yet to install that either .. organised you say?

When it comes to payments and bills I am pretty good with them, knowing how much we spend and when. I have been on quarterly bills before and we used to give my FiL money each month to save so when the bill came round we had it all squared away but for the past 5 years we've used pp meters and I'm happy with that.

What extra I pay for elec/gas I save on by shopping at Aldi
arcangel11123 m ago

What surprises you wongy?I'm also with BG and they asked if I wanted a …What surprises you wongy?I'm also with BG and they asked if I wanted a smart meter fitted.. think i'll be taking them up on that offer in the next month or so. I got sent the Hive stuff but have yet to install that either .. organised you say? When it comes to payments and bills I am pretty good with them, knowing how much we spend and when. I have been on quarterly bills before and we used to give my FiL money each month to save so when the bill came round we had it all squared away but for the past 5 years we've used pp meters and I'm happy with that. What extra I pay for elec/gas I save on by shopping at Aldi

Exactly the same here. On a pre-pay for electric, as that is what was fitted when we moved in. Simple enough to top up, can even do it online with our smart meter. It's just one bill I can manage throughout the month, rather than paying out in one go at the end (and also means the wife can pay it as she's paid weekly! )
the smart meter is fantastic, I was shocked at how much i was using only have the water heating on twice a day now b4 was 24 7, lights in cabnets look good but cost 60p per night to run only put then on now and then £16 per month saved
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants