Expired

british gas want to fit a new electric meter............

Found 30th Jun 2011
had a call from British Gas who said that my electric meter has come to the end of it's life and can they make an appointment to fit a new one. They say it will be free of charge.
I'm sure there must be something in it for them so what's the catch?
I am already on a years contract for a particular tariff I have chosen.
Community Updates
MiscElectronics
31 Comments
What did British Gas say when you voiced the above concerns to them?
Both gas and electric meters have to be replaced by law after so many years and actually there is nothing you can do or say to prevent this. Either you allow them in to do it or they will shut off your supply on safety grounds.
British Gas are in the process of rolling out new smart meters to all customers which show you how much energy you are using / cost and also transmit the meter reading directly eliminating the need for estimated bills / reading meters.
ok, thank for that.
Just me being suspicious!

Both gas and electric meters have to be replaced by law after so many … Both gas and electric meters have to be replaced by law after so many years and actually there is nothing you can do or say to prevent this. Either you allow them in to do it or they will shut off your supply on safety grounds.

They threatened to force entry to change my meter.
I was not bothered since they wrongly addressed the letter to my neighbours though.

It was a quick job for them to do and no mess was left behind.
i had mine done, it was that old it was drawing its pension, lol
they replaced mine for free, no catch and was a fast easy process.

dont worry

Both gas and electric meters have to be replaced by law after so many … Both gas and electric meters have to be replaced by law after so many years and actually there is nothing you can do or say to prevent this. Either you allow them in to do it or they will shut off your supply on safety grounds.

This is correct (in theory) I know a farm that has one 30+ years old still though (the out-laws) they keep getting a replacement delayed somehow. Its so old it can be slowed by a magnet now! (yes they are thieving gits, no I dont condone it)
I have had both my gas meter and electricity meter changed in the past few years. There's nothing untoward going on they are just required to replace them after so many years.

The electricity one took all of about 15 minutes for them to swap.
Make sure they arent gonna give you a meter that you have to "rent"?, cant remember the name of the charge, but it is paid in your contract (a few £'s a year)
British Gas rang me to say my electric meter had come to the end of its life and I had to have a Smart Meter fitted. I didn't particularly want a smart meter so I asked if it was compulsory. The lady said no I could have an ordinary meter fitted but eventually I would have to have a smart meter, anyway I made an appointment to have one fitted but she said if I wanted to know anymore I could ring her. She told me to go on the BG Website and read up on smart meters. I went on and it didn't tell you anything I didn't know already other than, I clicked on something at the very bottom and it fetched up a load of YouTube Videos some in Australia and other places over the water. I watched a video and not in a million years will I have a smart meter fitted. YouTube is worth watching on this subject. I won't go into more detail make your own minds up.

I phoned British Gas back and spoke to another girl and said I wished to cancel my appointment to have a SM fitted. She said I couldn't because my meter had come to the end of its life. I said that I was sorry I could (and that I could have an ordinary one fitted) because that is what I was told when I made the app't. She went away, came back to the phone and then told me that she had made a mistake, that I had had a meter fitted in 2008 and that my meter hadn't come to the end of its life. I said I had had the same meter for the last 30 years and no one had fitted me a meter in 2008. I said to her you're just saying this because I'm cancelling my SM. She said the SM were no different to my ordinary meter except the reading went straight through to BG. I disagreed with her and said they were different (I know of two businesses that have got them in the UK and the readings don't agree at the business and BG end) as the companies have rang up when they have had extortionate bills and have found this out. She then cancelled my appointment.
Gem301

British Gas rang me to say my electric meter had come to the end of its … British Gas rang me to say my electric meter had come to the end of its life and I had to have a Smart Meter fitted. I didn't particularly want a smart meter so I asked if it was compulsory. The lady said no I could have an ordinary meter fitted but eventually I would have to have a smart meter, anyway I made an appointment to have one fitted but she said if I wanted to know anymore I could ring her. She told me to go on the BG Website and read up on smart meters. I went on and it didn't tell you anything I didn't know already other than, I clicked on something at the very bottom and it fetched up a load of YouTube Videos some in Australia and other places over the water. I watched a video and not in a million years will I have a smart meter fitted. YouTube is worth watching on this subject. I won't go into more detail make your own minds up.I phoned British Gas back and spoke to another girl and said I wished to cancel my appointment to have a SM fitted. She said I couldn't because my meter had come to the end of its life. I said that I was sorry I could (and that I could have an ordinary one fitted) because that is what I was told when I made the app't. She went away, came back to the phone and then told me that she had made a mistake, that I had had a meter fitted in 2008 and that my meter hadn't come to the end of its life. I said I had had the same meter for the last 30 years and no one had fitted me a meter in 2008. I said to her you're just saying this because I'm cancelling my SM. She said the SM were no different to my ordinary meter except the reading went straight through to BG. I disagreed with her and said they were different (I know of two businesses that have got them in the UK and the readings don't agree at the business and BG end) as the companies have rang up when they have had extortionate bills and have found this out. She then cancelled my appointment.

Basically you know of two businesses that have smart meters who have complained of a discrepancy in meter readings, out of the thousands of businesses and domestic dwellings that have them with no complaints raised.

Right....
Bad idea if you got a grow on.
The meters don't belong to you, they belong to the provider. The smart meter roll out has been delayed but you will be having one fitted before 2020.

Get used to it.
Already got a smart meter. I haven't sprouted another head yet, don't believe all you read on the internetz.

It's saving me money too, my bills are accurate - never estimated - and I'm watching what I use more.

You will get a smart meter eventually, like it or not.
miikeyblue

Already got a smart meter. I haven't sprouted another head yet, don't … Already got a smart meter. I haven't sprouted another head yet, don't believe all you read on the internetz.It's saving me money too, my bills are accurate - never estimated - and I'm watching what I use more.You will get a smart meter eventually, like it or not.

which one you got ?
ewwaxo

which one you got ?

Which smart meter?
miikeyblue

Which smart meter?

yes. If you don't mind.
ewwaxo

yes. If you don't mind.

Electric is Elster AM110R

Gas is Elster - Themis Alpha
miikeyblue

Electric is Elster AM110RGas is Elster - Themis Alpha

Thanks !
So they are not integrated and separate ?

hmm..
ewwaxo

So they are not integrated and separate ?hmm..

Nope, they're smart, but not that smart!
miikeyblue

Nope, they're smart, but not that smart!

can you communicate with them with your PC/phone.

sorry for questions- just interested.
Edited by: "ewwaxo" 22nd May 2013
how often to find out about units of gas consumed?
ewwaxo

can you communicate with them with your PC/phone.sorry for questions- … can you communicate with them with your PC/phone.sorry for questions- just interested.

Can't do that. You can check your usage anytime though on the monitor - this bit does connect to the pc but that side isn't fully working yet.
ewwaxo

So they are not integrated and separate ?hmm..

I wouldn't be happy with an ignitable gas and a source of ignition running through the same meter...

Anyway the building regs state a minimum separation between gas and electric incoming services.
Sworld

I wouldn't be happy with an ignitable gas and a source of ignition … I wouldn't be happy with an ignitable gas and a source of ignition running through the same meter... ;)Anyway the building regs state a minimum separation between gas and electric incoming services.

can isolate, but this has been the problem with monitoring existing gas meters...
Smart meter users face hidden charges.
Old news, but something about a standing charge.

telegraph.co.uk/fin…tml
i have recieved some letters about changing the lectric meter during the last year due to my electric meter coming to end of its life(too old).i made a couple of appointments with the company but they never turned round!! so i did not pay attention to that very much until one day ,recently,the electric meter started smoking and blew up.had to call emergency eletricions come round and pay the loads to fix the things.i did not bother calling those people in the electric company on that time wasting my time dialing different numbers to report them about that.but called them today,they kept me so long on hold to see what they/i have to do then they hung up.i called them again again1pm,1:30pm,2pm but in the correct department no one picked up the phone! now i was wondering if anyone knows that if i am entitled to get a compensation at all? i have fixed an ordinary meter now,do i have to have a special meter as it is ?do i have to return the blown up meter to my electric supplier?
long story but ,i have a heatwise electric meter , it has 4 or 5 readings that need taking when the meter is being read , no one but e-on will read my meter this means i am stuck with e-on as my supplier and unless i am willing to pay for a replacement meter i am stuck with it . well that was my situation until February this year when i recieved a letter to say i must have my meter changed by law as it has reached the end of its life ...... fantastic news i thought , finally i can change supplier if i wish to .
i made an appointment to have it replaced , they cancelled it , i made another and again it was cancelled but they did say they would contact me to rearrange a fitting date , they never did !
i rang them last week to find out what was going on and it appears they do not have a smart meter to replace a heatwise meter with , " we do not get much call for smart meter replacement as very few people have them " i told them i do not want a heatwise meter of any type installing as i have not had storage heaters for years ,and i will gladly have any standard meter installed.
I was redirected to the meter changing department having been told it would now be possible to replace my meter with a standard one as the problem had been the heatwise meter , once again i thought great news but ........." unfortunately its more complicated than that and we can not change your meter at the present time , we will contact you when we have a replacement meter available " so , does anyone know how i can force them to change my meter , it states on my letter that by law i must have my meter replaced , i even want my meter replaced , and would gladly have a smart meter to enable me to change supplier , but it seems that i am stuck with my meter until they can be bothered to do something about it , who do i contact to force them to change it ? or could i accidently spill some paint over my meter and force them to replace it . thanks kev .
kawazuki

long story but ,i have a heatwise electric meter , it has 4 or 5 readings … long story but ,i have a heatwise electric meter , it has 4 or 5 readings that need taking when the meter is being read , no one but e-on will read my meter this means i am stuck with e-on as my supplier and unless i am willing to pay for a replacement meter i am stuck with it . well that was my situation until February this year when i recieved a letter to say i must have my meter changed by law as it has reached the end of its life ...... fantastic news i thought , finally i can change supplier if i wish to .i made an appointment to have it replaced , they cancelled it , i made another and again it was cancelled but they did say they would contact me to rearrange a fitting date , they never did ! i rang them last week to find out what was going on and it appears they do not have a smart meter to replace a heatwise meter with , " we do not get much call for smart meter replacement as very few people have them " i told them i do not want a heatwise meter of any type installing as i have not had storage heaters for years ,and i will gladly have any standard meter installed.I was redirected to the meter changing department having been told it would now be possible to replace my meter with a standard one as the problem had been the heatwise meter , once again i thought great news but ........." unfortunately its more complicated than that and we can not change your meter at the present time , we will contact you when we have a replacement meter available " so , does anyone know how i can force them to change my meter , it states on my letter that by law i must have my meter replaced , i even want my meter replaced , and would gladly have a smart meter to enable me to change supplier , but it seems that i am stuck with my meter until they can be bothered to do something about it , who do i contact to force them to change it ? or could i accidently spill some paint over my meter and force them to replace it . thanks kev .

You could stop paying your bill for about a year or whatever, they'd eventually come and swap it for a prepayment one

I don't recommend that really - it'd be really bad news for your credit rating! Have you tried escalating to a manager at all?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants