Expired

British muslim travelling to Israel

Found 9th Mar 2014
Hi. I need to travel to Israel for work. It should be for around a week. I am british born and have been livinging in the uk all my life. My parents were born in Pakistan but have lived here for more than 34 years. I have visited Pakistan about 2-3 years ago but changed passports (it expired) so no pakistan entry stamp on it.

Has anyone else had to go to israel in a situation like mine? Were there any issues? I want to raise any concerns early before booking any tickets etc. I googled tel aviv and it's hard to spot any brown people in the pictures so am concerned from a security aspect too.

thanks
Community Updates
Misc
38 Comments
can't give you any personal experience of Israel but I'm sure you will be fine. A lot of your worry will be down to what you hear and read in media, but I'm sure the people there will be fine with you.

As a type of example, I'm the same background as you and took a couple of english white friends with me to Pakistan about 6 years ago, right at the time it was kicking off in Afghanistan/Pakistan border. They were worried but they were absolutely gobsacked by the fact that people were so welcoming.....we travelled throughout Azad Kashmir, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Faisalabad. No problems at all.
thanks. Ive been reading a few sites and most of them say the same thing;

* Be honest with your answers
* Expect lots of questions and waiting (several hours)
* Passport doesnt get stamped anymore, you get an official piece of paper with you instead.
* Dont go anywhere near the "Blue line" (lebanon border)

The colleague I work with is Jewish and a nice guy which is the reason I have agreed to go otherwise wouldv'e been inclined to say no. I hear 1 in 5 people in Israel are Arab and most of those Arabs are muslim so really it's quite mixed. Security is still tight though for obvious reasons.

Appreciate your experience but white non-jewish people visiting Pakistan I wouldnt have seen a problem with anyway. It's that combination of muslim, pakistani ann jewish that creates issues in my opinion.
I dont see the problem, Your british and have a pakistani background.

There is no link for israeli's to want to kill you. Israel has no conflict with pakistan or britain.

The colour of your skin will not get you beaten or killed in israel anymore than you would in london.
As Cyrus pointed out just make sure you get the entry/exit stamps and visa on the separate piece of paper and NOT your passport. This may result in refusal to enter countries that don't recognise Israel. My friends have told me that you have to specify that you don't want your passport stamped.
t4nz

As Cyrus pointed out just make sure you get the entry/exit stamps and … As Cyrus pointed out just make sure you get the entry/exit stamps and visa on the separate piece of paper and NOT your passport. This may result in refusal to enter countries that don't recognise Israel. My friends have told me that you have to specify that you don't want your passport stamped.

Thanks.Found some good information here tripadvisor.co.uk/Sho…tml
J4GG4

There is no link for israeli's to want to kill you. Israel has no … There is no link for israeli's to want to kill you. Israel has no conflict with pakistan or britain.

Are you really that politically unaware? Do you not see the constant conflicts between the jews and muslims? You make it out like I shouldn't be the slightest bit concerned. I face border control problems when travelling to the states because pakistan has ties with terrorists, my name is muslim and I come from a country that is known for breeding terrorists. There are multiple things I have to worry about and going to Israel would be all that x 10. There's a reason why Etal operates independent of all other airlinesa at about 95% of the worlds airports.

Please do not treat me like a fool - this is a REAL issue and anyone in my shoes will and should do the necessary research before venturing out.
Cyrus

Are you really that politically unaware? Do you not see the constant … Are you really that politically unaware? Do you not see the constant conflicts between the jews and muslims? You make it out like I shouldn't be the slightest bit concerned. I face border control problems when travelling to the states because pakistan has ties with terrorists, my name is muslim and I come from a country that is known for breeding terrorists. There are multiple things I have to worry about and going to Israel would be all that x 10. There's a reason why Etal operates independent of all other airlinesa at about 95% of the worlds airports.Please do not treat me like a fool - this is a REAL issue and anyone in my shoes will and should do the necessary research before venturing out.

Of course do your research, but i do not see there being a issue. If your that worried do not travel, i do not think your good friend would invite you to go there if you was in immediate danger. The conflicts going on will probably not be noticed by yourself on your travels there. Like you say many arab muslims there, stick by your jewish friend and go and do your business. All will be ok.

There is more of a issue of your white friends visiting pakistan, nothing happened as you say. Pakistan is full of terrorists but its also full of welcoming people. Same in israel.
J4GG4

I do not see there being a issue. If your that worried do not travel, i … I do not see there being a issue. If your that worried do not travel, i do not think your good friend would invite you to go there if you was in immediate danger. The conflicts going on will probably not be noticed by yourself on your travels there. Like you say many arab muslims there, stick by your jewish friend and go and do your business. All will be ok.

This seems more like an opinion than first hand experience. I can ask the chap at the local newsagents if I was looking for an opinion. I really cannot see the value in your posts. I am not normally like this but you are wasting your own time and mine. It's not like a review of a product on amazon which I can return if I dont like. This is a matter of personal safety.
Cyrus

This seems more like an opinion than first hand experience. I can ask the … This seems more like an opinion than first hand experience. I can ask the chap at the local newsagents if I was looking for an opinion. I really cannot see the value in your posts. I am not normally like this but you are wasting your own time and mine. It's not like a review of a product on amazon which I can return if I dont like. This is a matter of personal safety.

You better tell everyone else that your not happy to hear their opinions and that your looking for first hand experience.

wow.
J4GG4

You better tell everyone else that your not happy to hear their opinions … You better tell everyone else that your not happy to hear their opinions and that your looking for first hand experience.wow.

Read the OP

'Has anyone else had to go to israel in a situation like mine? Were there any issues? '

This is a matter of personal safety and so should be taken seriously.
Elton Chong

Read the OP'Has anyone else had to go to israel in a situation like mine? … Read the OP'Has anyone else had to go to israel in a situation like mine? Were there any issues? 'This is a matter of personal safety and so should be taken seriously.

Bit odd nobody has posted with personal experience, cyrus likes t_kaays post and said you will be ok. I said he will be ok and i am hounded.

Please show the comments that are not serious?

I will advise people not to give any advice to cyrus with his attitude. I do not need to say this others can read this thread and judge for themself.
J4GG4

You better tell everyone else that your not happy to hear their opinions … You better tell everyone else that your not happy to hear their opinions and that your looking for first hand experience.wow.

Well it is a serious thing. Muslims and Israelis don't mix very well. If they could do this to footballers, what can they do to others?
ibtimes.co.uk/pal…183
J4GG4

Bit odd nobody has posted with personal experience, cyrus likes t_kaays … Bit odd nobody has posted with personal experience, cyrus likes t_kaays post and said you will be ok. I said he will be ok and i am hounded.

Now this sounds like moral support. I am not looking for an opinion OR moral support.

t_kaays stated upfront he has no personal experience. You, on the other hand, start with "I dont see the problem" which suggests multiple things. I liked haritori's post too because he/she was obviously joking.

You first of all need to read the OP's properly then grow up because you are throwing your toys out the pram like this is a school playground.
Cyrus

This seems more like an opinion than first hand experience. I can ask the … This seems more like an opinion than first hand experience. I can ask the chap at the local newsagents if I was looking for an opinion. I really cannot see the value in your posts. I am not normally like this but you are wasting your own time and mine. It's not like a review of a product on amazon which I can return if I dont like. This is a matter of personal safety.

Of course it's an opinion - how could an answer to your question possibly not be? Unless you literally think the experience of a couple of people in a country of millions is completely representative of the situation on the ground? If you want data with no opinion added in then just look up a list of crime stats.

You're likely to be screened a little more closely than non-Muslims at Tel Aviv airport. That's about it. Yes there are "brown people" in Tel Aviv but so what if there wasn't? That in itself doesn't remotely suggest that it's therefore dangerous to visit if you are brown.

You're acting like Israel is some third world war-torn hell hole. It's an advanced, developed country and there is no need to be so paranoid about "personal safety".
Israel is not like Britain with a bit of sun. Israel is under constant threat from its Arab neighbours and has adopted a very strong stance when dealing with visitors.

OP is right to be concerned and anyone giving advice would do well to not assume.

If you can avoid going don't go. My cousin was in the same situation and had to go there with his work.

What happened? He was held up at the airport for 16 hours for no reason at all while the security did "checks"

The checks also included a strip search.
callum9999

Of course it's an opinion - how could an answer to your question possibly … Of course it's an opinion - how could an answer to your question possibly not be? Unless you literally think the experience of a couple of people in a country of millions is completely representative of the situation on the ground? If you want data with no opinion added in then just look up a list of crime stats.You're likely to be screened a little more closely than non-Muslims at Tel Aviv airport. That's about it. Yes there are "brown people" in Tel Aviv but so what if there wasn't? That in itself doesn't remotely suggest that it's therefore dangerous to visit if you are brown.You're acting like Israel is some third world war-torn hell hole. It's an advanced, developed country and there is no need to be so paranoid about "personal safety".

Dunno about you but my definition of an advanced country would be one that is not constitutionally racist.
Rubisco

Dunno about you but my definition of an advanced country would be one … Dunno about you but my definition of an advanced country would be one that is not constitutionally racist.

My definition of an ethical advanced country would include that yes. I think Israel is a vile country that should be being punished by the international community - not propped up. That doesn't change the fact it's an advanced and relatively safe first world country though.
toshapetriji

Israel is not like Britain with a bit of sun. Israel is under constant … Israel is not like Britain with a bit of sun. Israel is under constant threat from its Arab neighbours and has adopted a very strong stance when dealing with visitors.OP is right to be concerned and anyone giving advice would do well to not assume.

The OP is completely right to be considering security risks, they are not right to be so paranoid about them.

Define this "very strong stance when dealing with visitors"... They undoubtedly racially profile people in their airports and undoubtedly subject Muslims and Arabs (or those who fit the stereotype) to enhanced security checks - but to pretend that the above story of being held for 16 hours is remotely representative of how they typically deal with Muslim visitors is absurd (and a downright lie).
Your worrying too much pal. my uncle and friends have just returned from there they spent 4days there before going to saudi.

expect delays and do not annoy them as u may get interrogated and even refused entry.

you will be ok, enjoy live a little.
callum9999

That doesn't change the fact it's an advanced and relatively safe first … That doesn't change the fact it's an advanced and relatively safe first world country though.

Have you actually been? No, I didnt think so.
Cyrus

Op I have a friend who is Pakistani and has been to Israel

Would you like me to get his views?
Elton Chong

Op I have a friend who is Pakistani and has been to Israel Would you like … Op I have a friend who is Pakistani and has been to Israel Would you like me to get his views?

Yes please! Thanks!
Cyrus

Yes please! Thanks!

Iv messaged him. Hopefully he will respond soon
OP - do you have any Arab stamps on your Visa?

My husband, who is Irish, had been to Syria a few years earlier, and had a 2-3 hour interview to get into Israel during a cruise.

Just been honest and don't antagonise them
Twinkle182

OP - do you have any Arab stamps on your Visa?My husband, who is Irish, … OP - do you have any Arab stamps on your Visa?My husband, who is Irish, had been to Syria a few years earlier, and had a 2-3 hour interview to get into Israel during a cruise.Just been honest and don't antagonise them

Yep - went to a few ME countries before.
My friend has been , whom is also pakistani.... be expected to be interviewed(they ask such stupid questions so be prepared!!) possibly as well as a "random" search. If entering palestine whilst your stay (probably worth doing to see the masjid al aqsa) also be expected to wait ages as well as further questioning.

personally id decline to work in israel.
Edited by: "MarzBarz" 10th Mar 2014
MarzBarz

My friend has been , whom is also pakistani.... be expected to be … My friend has been , whom is also pakistani.... be expected to be interviewed(they ask such stupid questions so be prepared!!) possibly as well as a "random" search. If entering palestine whilst your stay (probably worth doing to see the masjid al aqsa) also be expected to wait ages as well as further questioning. personally id decline to work in israel.

Thanks. What did he define as "random" ?
Did he go for work or pleasure?
My friend reckons you will be fine if its official work.

He is very trustworthy, intelligent and politically aware and has been there himself. I value his judgement.
Cyrus

Oh look, everyone who is reporting on people who have been is agreeing with me...

Israel is an enormous and very well-known tourist destination. You don't need to visit personally to be able to relay information on it, and your insistence on completely ignoring advice from anyone who doesn't personally match your exact circumstances is ridiculous. Of course it's reasonable to ask for it as well, but no need to throw a hissy fit over it.
callum9999

Oh look, everyone who is reporting on people who have been is agreeing … Oh look, everyone who is reporting on people who have been is agreeing with me...Israel is an enormous and very well-known tourist destination. You don't need to visit personally to be able to relay information on it,

You're post is of 0 value. Stop wasting your time and mine by providing opinion. What you said makes no sense. If you could tell so much about a country without visiting, there would never be any tourists and I could say the UK is the same as the US purely because they both speak english and are developed countries.

If you for a second believe there is no racial profiling when going to Israel, well, you need help.

Edited by: "Cyrus" 10th Mar 2014
OP I went to Israel a few years ago with some colleagues which included a Muslim guy, he was interrogated vigorously for no other reason than... Anyway this was very frustrating for us all after it held us back for a good few hours. Apparently the Israelis are known to this to travelling Muslims and believe (stand to be corrected) with non-whites too. As previously stated you do have the option (unless changed) of having either your Passport or Form stamped at Border Control (Form is inserted into your Passport); this is to avoid future problems when travelling to certain other countries. The Israelis are security conscious (obsessed) and if like us you decide to go to Jerusalem then be warned - you'll find Israeli Security everywhere (like ants)! Good luck either way...
Nash

OP I went to Israel a few years ago with some colleagues which included a … OP I went to Israel a few years ago with some colleagues which included a Muslim guy, he was interrogated vigorously for no other reason than... Anyway this was very frustrating for us all after it held us back for a good few hours. Apparently the Israelis are known to this to travelling Muslims and believe (stand to be corrected) with non-whites too. As previously stated you do have the option (unless changed) of having either your Passport or Form stamped at Border Control (Form is inserted into your Passport); this is to avoid future problems when travelling to certain other countries. The Israelis are security conscious (obsessed) and if like us you decide to go to Jerusalem then be warned - you'll find Israeli Security everywhere (like ants)! Good luck either way...

thanks mate. Not going to Jerusalem as been advised not to go there for obvious reasons. Also would not go to Palestine as passport gets stamped so gives away clues that went to Israel too. I travel a bit for work so dont want problems in other countries.

Ironically, I am going because of a some security technology I need to work on.

I wonder if theres a letter I can get from my Israeli counterparts which would not make me go through all the airport security BS. At this rate, I dont think going out is safe either ... as "developed and welcoming" the local are.
To the original poster, so did you have any trouble I'm in a similar situation British Pakistani but I'm going over with some friends for the israel v wales game next year
Going in a few days. WIll let you know ...
Doesa nyone know if taking a encrypted laptop over will cause issues?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants