British passports will be navy blue after Brexit, says Home Office - The Guardian

Found 22nd Dec 2017
theguardian.com/pol…ice

Quote:
"British passports issued after October 2019 will be dark blue and gold, replacing the burgundy model required under EU membership.

The British passport is redesigned every five years, and the new version will come into production next autumn when the current contract expires, the Home Office has announced.

The return of the navy cover, first used in 1921, is being hailed as a victory by pro-Brexit MPs, who had campaigned for a return to the colour.

The government said the new passport, which would include updated features and technology, would be one of the most secure in the world.

The blue and gold passports will be issued from October 2019, when the £490m passport contract begins, to British nationals renewing or applying for a new passport."

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Glad they sorted this out. Most important part of all Brexit negotiations... the colour of the passport cover. Seriously lost for words...

deeky1 m ago

This is an English speaking forum.

To be fair deeky, does it make a lot of difference when splender types?

Blue is best after all

32876019-h8ri8.jpg
73 Comments

Glad they sorted this out. Most important part of all Brexit negotiations... the colour of the passport cover. Seriously lost for words...

Satisfies those who believe sovereignty and bring-back-control mean the wrapper cover.

Does not satisfy those who discard the wrapper and are interested in the meat.
Edited by: "splender" 22nd Dec 2017

Health warning: going round circles again with endless threads on Bre....

I am off to do some Christmas shopping at a market now. You take care with this government health warning on the packet.

It's a start.

Original Poster

32875709-byAVK.jpg

Splendid news I never liked the red passport.

Its pathetic that anyone cares, i prefer red or black tbh

Navy Blue or Black !!!

Blue is best after all

32876019-h8ri8.jpg

There has been literally* nothing stopping Britain from doing this before Brexit.

* aside, of course, from the cost, another sop to the baby boomers who seemingly must be pandered to.

Other government plans, to appease baby boomers, post brexit include: painting dog-poo white. Leaving bongo-mags in hedgerows.
Edited by: "Josh.Rogan" 22nd Dec 2017

Original Poster

Josh.Rogan1 h, 15 m ago

There has been literally* nothing stopping Britain from doing this before …There has been literally* nothing stopping Britain from doing this before Brexit.

Apart from this mentioned in the very first line of the article...

"...replacing the burgundy model required under EU membership."

Can't wait. A blue passport.

Josh.Rogan1 h, 19 m ago

There has been literally* nothing stopping Britain from doing this before …There has been literally* nothing stopping Britain from doing this before Brexit.* aside, of course, from the cost, another sop to the baby boomers who seemingly must be pandered to.

Could you provide a link to the cost?

Thread seems to have been created for the remainers to have a moan.
Maybe the brexiteers aren't rising to the bait.

shadey123 m ago

Could you provide a link to the cost?

Will be same as before when yours runs out apply for a new one pay your £72 or whatever it currently is then you get a new one that doesn't mention Europe. They won't demand all change their passports to the new one, The passport office couldn't cope.

DKLS3 m ago

Will be same as before when yours runs out apply for a new one pay your …Will be same as before when yours runs out apply for a new one pay your £72 or whatever it currently is then you get a new one that doesn't mention Europe. They won't demand all change their passports to the new one, The passport office couldn't cope.

Aimed more at rj who could be frantically googling for anything to back up the comment.

m00head1 h, 47 m ago

[Image]

zeker, de Britten zijn een lachertje

splender2 m ago

zeker, de Britten zijn een lachertje

deeky1 m ago

shadey129 m ago

Thread seems to have been created for the remainers to have a moan.Maybe …Thread seems to have been created for the remainers to have a moan.Maybe the brexiteers aren't rising to the bait.

What difference does it make what colour the passports are though?

They could be purple with pink spots for all I care!

It's just a pointless change that will have a cost but no actual benefit.

shadey121 m ago

Ah, good point

CrispEditor8 m ago

I want Navy Red.

Navy Red

Towelie4 m ago

What difference does it make what colour the passports are though?They …What difference does it make what colour the passports are though?They could be purple with pink spots for all I care!It's just a pointless change that will have a cost but no actual benefit.

Same question, how much or a link to cost?
Thread created for guardian reading lefty corbyn supporters to bait brexiteers.
Sounds like a canary news story. Hope all the moaners have a good time, 'm out.

shadey1237 m ago

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, when one is tempted to respond to the sign (OP's post) at the KMar , "Zonder vrees en zonder blaam"
deeky38 m ago

Edited by: "splender" 22nd Dec 2017

It is the colours of the EU, what d!cks!!!!

shadey1230 m ago

Aimed more at rj who could be frantically googling for anything to back up …Aimed more at rj who could be frantically googling for anything to back up the comment.

Agree with you its a non story, just another re-design, same when we went from the big passports to the Red ones, then Chipped passports. Who knows whats in the passports office roadmap maybe Biometric chips in 20 years?

As long as it still allows me to travel the world I don't really care what colour it is but do prefer the new one a GD aesthetic basis over the EU red one.

Original Poster

DKLS23 m ago

As long as it still allows me to travel the world I don't really care what …As long as it still allows me to travel the world I don't really care what colour it is.

32879014-jtKuk.jpg
Edited by: "m00head" 22nd Dec 2017

DKLS29 m ago

Agree with you its a non story, just another re-design, same when we went …Agree with you its a non story, just another re-design, same when we went from the big passports to the Red ones, then Chipped passports. Who knows whats in the passports office roadmap maybe Biometric chips in 20 years?As long as it still allows me to travel the world I don't really care what colour it is but do prefer the new one a GD aesthetic basis over the EU red one.

Obviously, same as before EU, during and after membership.
Op seems to have other motives though,
32879176-YjzRc.jpgStrangely pointing out something that wasn't asked.

The good old days are back!

Gimme that blue passport. The Brits at coming through!

deeky1 h, 9 m ago

That was easier for Google to translate

shadey1219 m ago

Obviously, same as before EU, during and after membership.Op seems to have …Obviously, same as before EU, during and after membership.Op seems to have other motives though,[Image] Strangely pointing out something that wasn't asked.

Holy crap shadey that Farrell fella is saying I cant work in Europe or travel freely, how on earth will I satisfy my client on a 4 yr contract with a Dutch company, damn and double damn, must have missed that in the news and those pesky edam eaters didn't say a thing.

Europe is dead to me, dead I tell ya.....

On a more serious note I cant see much changing, If you have the appropriate skills British citizens will still be hired in Europe, and travel will still be easy even if any of the countries insist on a Visa. Its not particularly difficult, when I go to the states its fill in the ESTA form a few days before flying and I really enjoy the indian visa system, rock up to local Sikh temple when they are running a visa clinic, hand over fee, photos and paperwork, and whilst you tucking into a fabulous curry the visa people process your application. Travel to egypt wasn't difficult either, fill a form in on the plane, when you land present passport and form and get it stamped.

If those three are examples of travelling not freely I can live with that.

DKLS3 m ago

Holy crap shadey that Farrell fella is saying I cant work in Europe or …Holy crap shadey that Farrell fella is saying I cant work in Europe or travel freely, how on earth will I satisfy my client on a 4 yr contract with a Dutch company, damn and double damn, must have missed that in the news and those pesky edam eaters didn't say a thing. Europe is dead to me, dead I tell ya.....On a more serious note I cant see much changing, If you have the appropriate skills British citizens will still be hired in Europe, and travel will still be easy even if any of the countries insist on a Visa. Its not particularly difficult, when I go to the states its fill in the ESTA form a few days before flying and I really enjoy the indian visa system, rock up to local Sikh temple when they are running a visa clinic, hand over fee, photos and paperwork, and whilst you tucking into a fabulous curry the visa people process your application. Travel to egypt wasn't difficult either, fill a form in on the plane, when you land present passport and form and get it stamped. If those three are examples of travelling not freely I can live with that.

Edit: thats it, I have had enough of pretending to work and am off to the pub, Happy Christmas and New Year to all, I hope all your dreams come true for 2018. Keep smiling and don't let the bar stewards grind you down.

They should let you choose what coulourbtou want it's your passport

shadey121 h, 49 m ago

Same question, how much or a link to cost?Thread created for guardian …Same question, how much or a link to cost?Thread created for guardian reading lefty corbyn supporters to bait brexiteers.Sounds like a canary news story. Hope all the moaners have a good time, 'm out.

So you can't answer what benefit you gain from this costly exercise?

Towelie12 m ago

Hows it going to cost more? Probably cost less since the European Union has been removed off it. I wouldn't imagine the production costs would rise much at all.

It'll still cost us circa £72 at renewal.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 22nd Dec 2017

m00head1 m ago

UK citizens may need a visa or work permit to travel or work in the EU, …UK citizens may need a visa or work permit to travel or work in the EU, just like all other non-EU citizens after Brexit.

And EU citizens might need a visa or work permit or maybe even both, That's a good thing, Can't just let any Tom, Dick or Harry in can we :).

Towelie29 m ago

I really think you should read the thread from the beginning, I never said I cared about the colour, I never said we would/wouldn't gain from it.
I asked for a link for this being an increased cost.
You seem to be on a different track completely, maybe you're looking for an argument like the others on here opposing it without any evidence of anything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions