British Police In 1945 - The Man On The Beat

Found 5th Aug 2017

Really interesting video clip, of the police in 1945.

Back in those pre-snowflake days, you got caught breaking the law you got a good kicking then taken to court, not a free playstation and £500 worth of Argos vouchers!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
14 Comments

At least in those days the police only had criminal gangs, murderers, thieves, and petty crime to deal with. Today they have to invest much needed resources into controlling those who don't understand democracy.

So many things have changed in 70 years. And, policing had to change as well. Population increased, immigrants arrived en masse and they brought over their own crimes like FGM or Honour killing. There's not enough policemen to tackle with all these crimes and all are overworked.

Original Poster

In those days claims against the police weren't even entertained, you hurt yourself commiting a crime then TOUGH. Now these scu m get 6 months counselling and told it's not their fault

Graham197931 m ago

In those days claims against the police weren't even entertained, you hurt …In those days claims against the police weren't even entertained, you hurt yourself commiting a crime then TOUGH. Now these scu m get 6 months counselling and told it's not their fault

You may care to research the Press and the Police relationship from 1919 (when Press Room was first opened in Scotland Yard). The cosy relationship with rose-tinted spectacles peaked in the mid 1940s , it is interesting your video is bang on 1945, and then rocky relationshop emerged from then.

Original Poster

splender16 m ago

You may care to research the Press and the Police relationship from 1919 …You may care to research the Press and the Police relationship from 1919 (when Press Room was first opened in Scotland Yard). The cosy relationship with rose-tinted spectacles peaked in the mid 1940s , it is interesting your video is bang on 1945, and then rocky relationshop emerged from then.

Post war Britain was a very different place indeed. I like the Parr in the video about Police not an oppressive tool of the state, unless you were a striking miner and needs a truncheon around the face.

Could you imagine a Bobby on the beat from 1945 doing the job now? Or vice versa?

At 9:43 he accepts a bribe. Nothings changed.

Graham19793 h, 53 m ago

Post war Britain was a very different place indeed. I like the Parr in the …Post war Britain was a very different place indeed. I like the Parr in the video about Police not an oppressive tool of the state, unless you were a striking miner and needs a truncheon around the face.Could you imagine a Bobby on the beat from 1945 doing the job now? Or vice versa?

Not any time soon is my short answer. The cost base is transformed. Additionally post-war there was huge house building programme and the average bobby on the beat had lived on the same estates as nurses, plumbers, canteen ladies and firemen and they had a lot of stablilising effect on the rabble rousers. But now the society is ever so fragmented and broken up, it is them and us now (back to pre-wars and Victorian). There is now so much gentrification that they really like to see Mr. Average IQ and sub £25,000 p.a. to be out-of-the-way and f-off into poorer area when night comes or they retreat to behind gated developments at night. (An extreme is RBKC where at night the north and south do not cross.) So Mr bobby is not even needed to walk the gated areas and the socially cleansed areas.
Edited by: "splender" 5th Aug 2017

Those were the snowflake days too.

For us non snowflakes, anything before 1823 was referred to as the pre-snowflake days, as this is when Sir Robert Peel reduced the number of minor offences for which convicts could be executed.

Original Poster

jaybizzle1 h, 12 m ago

Those were the snowflake days too.For us non snowflakes, anything before …Those were the snowflake days too.For us non snowflakes, anything before 1823 was referred to as the pre-snowflake days, as this is when Sir Robert Peel reduced the number of minor offences for which convicts could be executed.

The Guy Fawkes method of execution for any offences of dog fouling and above in my opinion.

Original Poster

splender1 h, 46 m ago

Not any time soon is my short answer. The cost base is transformed. …Not any time soon is my short answer. The cost base is transformed. Additionally post-war there was huge house building programme and the average bobby on the beat had lived on the same estates as nurses, plumbers, canteen ladies and firemen and they had a lot of stablilising effect on the rabble rousers. But now the society is ever so fragmented and broken up, it is them and us now (back to pre-wars and Victorian). There is now so much gentrification that they really like to see Mr. Average IQ and sub £25,000 p.a. to be out-of-the-way and f-off into poorer area when night comes or they retreat to behind gated developments at night. (An extreme is RBKC where at night the north and south do not cross.) So Mr bobby is not even needed to walk the gated areas and the socially cleansed areas.

Enter "Rent a Cop"

Graham197949 m ago

Enter "Rent a Cop"

After some years, there may be Rent-A-Cop-Judge-Jury-Prison bundle deal.

Thanks for sharing this. Wish I was around back then to join

Graham197910 h, 31 m ago

Back in those pre-snowflake days, you got caught breaking the law you got …Back in those pre-snowflake days, you got caught breaking the law you got a good kicking then taken to court, not a free playstation and £500 worth of Argos vouchers!

I think the Daily Mail need to upgrade the AI they are using for their Bot as it's seriously creaking at the edges.
Unless it's meant to be funny in which case, well done the DM, I didn't know you had a sense of humour!

Back in the day .. wasn't "snowflake" a derogatory term the police used for anybody who was non-white ?
Yup .. the good old west midlands Crime squad, the london vice squad, Poulsen etc. Nobody dared to "lodge" a complaint
as they were tried and convicted by Lodge members. And lets not forget the blind eyes turned to rampant Child molesters
JSav many police friends.
Police nowadays are a much much improved force, except a lot are too fat to run anywhere ..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants