British Telecom's 9 Month Year

Found 26th Jun
Since BT are once again having an "annual" price rise after 9 months, shouldnt they do the same with their contract lengths, so a 24 month line or internet contract becomes 18 months??

ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
???
it doesnt matter, with any of the phone companies, not mobile, you can leave if they put up the prices so there really is no such thing as a contract with these companies as they are happy to break it.
eslick2 h, 40 m ago

it doesnt matter, with any of the phone companies, not mobile, you can …it doesnt matter, with any of the phone companies, not mobile, you can leave if they put up the prices so there really is no such thing as a contract with these companies as they are happy to break it.

TalkTalk are slyly putting up their call package prices. Mine has gone up twice, and by 50%, in 6 months.
Problem is that I'm locked into a 2 year contract with broadband and line rental, and as the calls package doesn't form part of the contract, I'm stuck.
They say that I can get rid of calls whenever I want, but it's essential for me.
chimp14uk24 m ago

TalkTalk are slyly putting up their call package prices. Mine has gone up …TalkTalk are slyly putting up their call package prices. Mine has gone up twice, and by 50%, in 6 months.Problem is that I'm locked into a 2 year contract with broadband and line rental, and as the calls package doesn't form part of the contract, I'm stuck.They say that I can get rid of calls whenever I want, but it's essential for me.

had a quick google, they seem to have you over a barrel since they fix their BB and line rental and keep the call package variable seems they can do it, written in the contract, though I suspect OFCOM wouldnt take kindly to it especially if they increase regularly. Once people realise this is happening they will be leaving in droves once their contracts are up.
Edited by: "eslick" 26th Jun
So this can't be used to end a broadband contract early without penalty?
terriclarkfan8 m ago

So this can't be used to end a broadband contract early without penalty?

not for TT but depends on the company and the contract, in most cases yes,
eslick31 m ago

had a quick google, they seem to have you over a barrel since they fix …had a quick google, they seem to have you over a barrel since they fix their BB and line rental and keep the call package variable seems they can do it, written in the contract, though I suspect OFCOM wouldnt take kindly to it especially if they increase regularly. Once people realise this is happening they will be leaving in droves once their contracts are up.

Yeah, I think a complaint to OFCOM might be in order.
chimp14uk1 h, 25 m ago

TalkTalk are slyly putting up their call package prices. Mine has gone up …TalkTalk are slyly putting up their call package prices. Mine has gone up twice, and by 50%, in 6 months.Problem is that I'm locked into a 2 year contract with broadband and line rental, and as the calls package doesn't form part of the contract, I'm stuck.They say that I can get rid of calls whenever I want, but it's essential for me.

why are calls essential for you? mobiles provide much better value. you can even use whatsapp/viber/etc through your wifi for free.
I need anytime calls to my parents and the in-laws who are well into their 70s and don't use what you are suggesting.
chimp14uk6 h, 34 m ago

Bin the TT £8 / £10 monthly call package and get the Plusnet mobile unlimited calls&text package at £5/month 30day rolling. Yeah, Plusnet may increase its monthly fee down the line, but unlikely within next 6months, maybe longer. plus.net/mob…e18 where that £5/m promo is likely to cease end of June 2018.
Assuming there is a comparable alternative service available at the consumer's location the consumer should generally welcome the sort of mid-term price rises that allow early termination of existing services without penalty as generally the joining incentives offered by a new provider far outweighs any benefit of retaining an existing arrangement.
@AndyRoyd Very succinct summary. Reminds me of the good old days of building society carpetbagging in the 90s!
chimp14uk9 h, 44 m ago

I need anytime calls to my parents and the in-laws who are well into their …I need anytime calls to my parents and the in-laws who are well into their 70s and don't use what you are suggesting.

How many hours per month are you on the phone talking to them??

I figured out years ago that my current providers lower line rental, and cost per minute with no "Unlimited Call Package" was far, far cheaper than paying for BTs package for the number of calls I made; 5ppm to nearly anywhere in the world, landline or mobile; and charged by the second with NO set up or call termination fees.

With BT, if you dont have a calls package, the actual cost per minute is dwarfed by the other charges; over 40p before you even start counting the time connected

Assuming free weekend calls only, the cheaper line rental = 2 hours of calls.
Assuming Free Evening and Weekend calls = 3 hours 20 minutes of calls
Assuming All Day Unlimited calls = over 5 hours of calls.

BTW, the wholsesale price for consumer line rental has been DROPPING for years; last time I looked the BT Wholesale price was under £9; and my ISP hasnt raised its line rental price in the 4 years I have been with them
Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 26th Jun
UPDATE.

My bad, they have actually raised the wholesale price recently, it is now £9.14 inc VAT per month. Prior to this it was £8.61 per month, inc VAT.
AndyRoyd26th Jun

Bin the TT £8 / £10 monthly call package and get the Plusnet mobile u …Bin the TT £8 / £10 monthly call package and get the Plusnet mobile unlimited calls&text package at £5/month 30day rolling. Yeah, Plusnet may increase its monthly fee down the line, but unlikely within next 6months, maybe longer. https://www.plus.net/mobile/deals/5/1-5gb/unl/unl/june18 where that £5/m promo is likely to cease end of June 2018.

That's a great deal. My mobile is with Plusnet atm, so I might give them a ring to see if I can get that tariff.
Unfortunately, I really do need a landline with unlimited calls.
chimp14uk5 h, 9 m ago

That's a great deal. My mobile is with Plusnet atm, so I might give them a …That's a great deal. My mobile is with Plusnet atm, so I might give them a ring to see if I can get that tariff.Unfortunately, I really do need a landline with unlimited calls.

Comments on the thread for that deal indicate PN is quite happy for its 30day SIMO customers to move to that offer, but suggest you contact PN soon before offer expires hotukdeals.com/dea…655
AndyRoyd50 m ago

Comments on the thread for that deal indicate PN is quite happy for its …Comments on the thread for that deal indicate PN is quite happy for its 30day SIMO customers to move to that offer, but suggest you contact PN soon before offer expires https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/plusnet-sim-only-15gb-5-unlimited-mins-30-day-contract-2965655

Thank you.
I just got onto Plusnet and they've given me the ul mins/texts 1.5gb data deal at no extra cost.
Much appreciated.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 28th Jun
chimp14uk26th Jun

It’s a shame your broadband speed has dropped below minimum best to pester them to fix it n if they can’t you can always threaten to leave then
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants