Groups

Broadband 10GB with BT

Could anyone advise me as to whether 10GB wil be sufficient, I have a teenage son who is on Xbox live most nights and a daughter who goes on Habbo Hotel. Will I need more GB per month- if anybody has any ideas it would be gratefully received.

28 Comments

You never can have enough. I have 50meg on Virgin and you can easily use all the bandwidth up. It doesn't allocate a bit here and there. I would stick to what you have its faster than most peoples...Just have the usual kids fighting lol

Generally as long as Things are not being downloaded from the net, IE Music and film and stuff 10gb should be more than sufficient for those things

gr8h8me;5851218

You never can have enough. I have 50meg on Virgin and you can easily use … You never can have enough. I have 50meg on Virgin and you can easily use all the bandwidth up. It doesn't allocate a bit here and there. I would stick to what you have its faster than most peoples...Just have the usual kids fighting lol

Think they are talking about download limits there, not the speed of the internet

gr8h8me;5851218

You never can have enough. I have 50meg on Virgin and you can easily use … You never can have enough. I have 50meg on Virgin and you can easily use all the bandwidth up. It doesn't allocate a bit here and there. I would stick to what you have its faster than most peoples...Just have the usual kids fighting lol

The OP wasn't asking about speed were they?

OP,10gb a month sounds low for your needs,kids normally download a few things as well if you can afford it go for the unlimited monthly usage option,better safe than sorry

gr8h8me;5851218

Whoops :oops:

I download Music the odd video and stuff from Xbox Live and have never gone over my 10gb limit.

Supposedly 10gb is equal to downloading 2,500 music files per month, so it is quite a lot.

im on 50 and need 200(testing in kent atm)
    as i download lots of news

raptorcigs;5851269

im on 50 and need 200(testing in kent atm)

50 what? 200 eh? figures dont mean nowt until there is a measurment to back them up.

im on 10mb with unlimited usage which is good because i can download over 5gb a day

siwrath;5851275

50 what? 200 eh? figures dont mean nowt until there is a measurment to … 50 what? 200 eh? figures dont mean nowt until there is a measurment to back them up.im on 10mb with unlimited usage which is good because i can download over 5gb a day

I think we know what he means,no need to be rude

boothy;5851288

I think we know what he means,no need to be rude

well no he could mean 50 mb/gb and needs 200mb/gb its possible to need both

you might not need more than 10gb, but why risk it especially tying yourself into such a crappy contract. is there any reason why you have to go with bt broadband vs almost anyone else?

siwrath;5851275

50 what? 200 eh? figures dont mean nowt until there is a measurment to … 50 what? 200 eh? figures dont mean nowt until there is a measurment to back them up.im on 10mb with unlimited usage which is good because i can download over 5gb a day

what a nermal:roll:

Original Poster

I have decided to go with BT because we are currently with TalkTalk - and we are having major problems with loosing connection. We are also currently in the process of moving ( well we have our house up for sale) and we thought it would be easier to move with Bt then someone else.

XBOX live and using the PC for things like BBC iPlayer will gobble up your allowance quite quickly. You'll be better off spending the extra £5 or whatever it is to be on the unlimited package.

Heppy;5851340

I have decided to go with BT because we are currently with TalkTalk - and … I have decided to go with BT because we are currently with TalkTalk - and we are having major problems with loosing connection. We are also currently in the process of moving ( well we have our house up for sale) and we thought it would be easier to move with Bt then someone else.

If you are on TT then go to there forums, they can play around with your connection to make it stable , talktalkmembers.com/for…php

Alot better than using the phone , they seem pretty quick on resolving things on there

Original Poster

Have tried for over 6 weeks to resolve my problems with TalkTalk. - honestly they were driving me mad !! That is why Iam wanting to move. but wanted to know about the 10Gb

its as easy to move to any ISP. Dont let yourself get sucked into a massive contract with a poor ISP like BT. Go for Virgin if you want to get digital TV too or Sky.
    Else i reccomend Be*There .
    £13.50/month 8MB/s Unlimited Usage.

munaaf;5852245

its as easy to move to any ISP. Dont let yourself get sucked into a … its as easy to move to any ISP. Dont let yourself get sucked into a massive contract with a poor ISP like BT. Go for Virgin if you want to get digital TV too or Sky.Else i reccomend Be*There .£13.50/month 8MB/s Unlimited Usage.

Virgin don't get much better ratings than BT and Sky and Be are only availible in some locations. If you want good service then go for a ]more highly rated ISP like Zen or IDNet.

To answer the original question; gaming and chatting themselves don't use up much bandwidth but things that go with them like downloading demos or trailers and sharing/music video do so your bandwidth use will depend on how much your children do that.

10GB is perhaps a little on the low side.

Banned

EndlessWaves;5853022

Virgin don't get much better ratings than BT and Sky and Be are only … Virgin don't get much better ratings than BT and Sky and Be are only availible in some locations. If you want good service then go for a ]more highly rated ISP like Zen or IDNet.To answer the original question; gaming and chatting themselves don't use up much bandwidth but things that go with them like downloading demos or trailers and sharing/music video do so your bandwidth use will depend on how much your children do that.10GB is perhaps a little on the low side.

it certain is. to enjoy the internet u must get an unlimited package.

for example my monthly usage could go upto 800gb

Banned

10gb is more than enough for xbox live / habbo for a month

Heppy;5851619

Have tried for over 6 weeks to resolve my problems with TalkTalk. - … Have tried for over 6 weeks to resolve my problems with TalkTalk. - honestly they were driving me mad !! That is why Iam wanting to move. but wanted to know about the 10Gb

Have you tried on the forums tho, they seem pretty quick at resolving problems on there

I know you say your moving, but the problems you are having with talk talk may not be because of them, it may be the local network or your internal wiring. Moving ISP may make no difference, except who you pay your bill to

gR8_mUndA;5853104

it certain is. to enjoy the internet u must get an unlimited package.for … it certain is. to enjoy the internet u must get an unlimited package.for example my monthly usage could go upto 800gb

Nonsense, Unlimited packages tend to cost £70-80 a month so unless you can get it included with another expensive service (i.e. Sky/Virgin) or are lucky enough to have access to a network that's got enough spare capacity that they haven't imposed a cap yet (currently only Be/O2 AFAIK, who are availible in about 20% of exchanges, mostly in cities) then most people will have a better internet experience spending half that for limited service who's limits they won't hit.

csiman;5853124

10gb is more than enough for xbox live / habbo for a month

How big do the demos and traliers on Xbox live tend to be? Certainly in a busy month the PC demos and trailers I'm interested in will easily top 10GB (but I do tend to download everything that looks at least vaugly promising).

Banned

i am wiht o2 and havnt had any problems yet. 10/10 recommended

Banned

EndlessWaves;5854946

Nonsense, Unlimited packages tend to cost £70-80 a month ........How big … Nonsense, Unlimited packages tend to cost £70-80 a month ........How big do the demos and traliers on Xbox live tend to be? Certainly in a busy month the PC demos and trailers I'm interested in will easily top 10GB (but I do tend to download everything that looks at least vaugly promising).

Eh? :thinking:

I pay Virgin £18.50 per month for phone line rental, free weekend calls and 10mbps unlimited BB.

If I was on 10GB allowance, then I wouldnt download demos and trailers unless the reviews were AAA.

Just because its unlimited dosent mean you dont get ttraffic shapped or throttled tho

Banned

deanos;5858786

Just because its unlimited dosent mean you dont get ttraffic shapped or … Just because its unlimited dosent mean you dont get ttraffic shapped or throttled tho

my point was that its not £70-£80 for unlimited packages

nearly all have some form of traffic shaping. Virgins never causes me any hassle really and I Download many GB's daily.

even when shaped, its still 2.5mbps :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044563
      2. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1817
      3. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767410

See more discussions