Broadband

Found 14th Nov 2017
ok so just looking for some advise I currently have 17-18mb broadband in my house but I'm moving to a new build and all companies are quoting me 1-3mb aka going back to the stone age I have checked with virgin media and there not in the area does anyone know of any other options as I'm out of ideas don't really want wireless internet or satalite due to the huge cost.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Hi, when I moved to a rural area 4 years ago the broadband was around 1mb, not even enough to play YouTube videos etc.so I got a three network pay as you go SIM and back then for £15 top-up you could then purchase an unlimited internet bolt on that lasted one month, that would average around 10mb and felt very fast, the whole family could tether of it no problem. You can still do the same now but there unlimited bolt on now costs £35, we buy it when we go camping so we all still have internet, the kids facetime from it etc. Why it has gone up do much I don't know but the good advantage is at least for now you are not stuck in a contract, last year BT installed fibre to the home in my area which is very rural, I know get 52mb which is better than many get in built up areas. That now costs me £29 pm for the fibre and weekend calls. As I say I now only use the three bolt on when camping etc.
It’s quite common with new builds, the put the copper lines in and don’t pay the extra for the fibre infrastructure. There’s not much you can do except go 4g with limited data or campaign to your MP
Dannyrobbo2 m ago

It’s quite common with new builds, the put the copper lines in and don’t pa …It’s quite common with new builds, the put the copper lines in and don’t pay the extra for the fibre infrastructure. There’s not much you can do except go 4g with limited data or campaign to your MP

And a lot of good they are lol. Fibre is installed in my area but the cable isn't long enough or some bs they were spinning me maybe a data plan wouldn't be bad if it worked.
The.Ghostbuster24 m ago

And a lot of good they are lol. Fibre is installed in my area but the …And a lot of good they are lol. Fibre is installed in my area but the cable isn't long enough or some bs they were spinning me maybe a data plan wouldn't be bad if it worked.

It took 3years for them to finally put ours in! It should be mandatory for them to FTTP the extra cost is negligible over copper.
Dannyrobbo6 m ago

It took 3years for them to finally put ours in! It should be mandatory …It took 3years for them to finally put ours in! It should be mandatory for them to FTTP the extra cost is negligible over copper.

So is there a chance when they are installing the copper wires that they may install fibre alongside it as they haven't actually installed any cabling that I am aware of as of yet.
Does the new property have a postcode yet? If so, check the BT 'When and Where' site to see when they'll be upgrading the cab / exchange to deliver FTTC - homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fib…bre
POWYSWALES4 h, 36 m ago

Hi, when I moved to a rural area 4 years ago the broadband was around 1mb, …Hi, when I moved to a rural area 4 years ago the broadband was around 1mb, not even enough to play YouTube videos etc.so I got a three network pay as you go SIM and back then for £15 top-up you could then purchase an unlimited internet bolt on that lasted one month, that would average around 10mb and felt very fast, the whole family could tether of it no problem. You can still do the same now but there unlimited bolt on now costs £35, we buy it when we go camping so we all still have internet, the kids facetime from it etc. Why it has gone up do much I don't know but the good advantage is at least for now you are not stuck in a contract, last year BT installed fibre to the home in my area which is very rural, I know get 52mb which is better than many get in built up areas. That now costs me £29 pm for the fibre and weekend calls. As I say I now only use the three bolt on when camping etc.

I did it last year for a couple of weeks and the Internet was unusable on pay as you go. At least for streaming. Very slow.
I had good signal so might be the area... I don't know.
I used to tether back in 2012/2013 when they had the unlimited tethering still on contract and was generally fine instead (only 3G back then). It was our only Internet in the house.

I think pay as you go is heavily traffic-managed now.
It is also against their T&Cs to tether on PAYG so can be stopped without notice.
Try signing up to get Hyperoptic: hyperoptic.com/
Same thing happened to me! I moved to a new built and was stuck with 2mb for nearly 2 years. I was keeping an eye out on the BDUK and BT websites, and finally fibre came to the new built houses. It was just the new built houses, the rest in the area (0.1miles away) had bt and virgin! The new fibre cab was for the new built complex fibre internet with openreach
The.Ghostbuster15 h, 52 m ago

And a lot of good they are lol. Fibre is installed in my area but the …And a lot of good they are lol. Fibre is installed in my area but the cable isn't long enough or some bs they were spinning me maybe a data plan wouldn't be bad if it worked.

Im in the exact same situation,very frustrating considering if we lived about 15 houses down we could have fibre.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions