Posted 14th Jan 2022
Hi All,

We are looking to get broadband on a 30 day rolling contract as just going to live somewhere for 5 months before moving so rules out plenty of broadband options as majority are 18 months.

Need half decent speed for time being as do work from home and will obviously be used to stream films etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or alternatively would it be better to get a mobile data sim and router?

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
15 Comments
  1. Avatar
    mobile data sim is much easier if you have good signal.
  2. Avatar
    Author
    Cisco06060614/01/2022 11:01

mobile data sim is much easier if you have good signal.

Was thinking that. In theory could get this then smarty.co.uk/pla…ted and stick the sim in a router and jobs a good'un providing the three signal is fine in the house.
  3. Avatar
    Cuckoo broadband do 30 day rolling contracts.

To say I have just been to their website and they are offering 3 months free.
    Edited by: "Craig2018" 15th Jan
  4. Avatar
    Now tv offer a monthly option
  5. Avatar
    I'm in a similar position. Been here 7 months so far. I bought a TPLink Archer MR600 about £130. I've been through a few monthly sims and the best for me has been ID mobile unlimited for £18pcm. Its Three network so will not work for everyone. I tried Vodafone and O2 and they were too slow. I get 12-40 MBps which is good enough for streaming TV.
  6. Avatar
    a666andy14/01/2022 12:09

Now tv offer a monthly option

Just checked, and there's a £60 activation fee for that.
  7. Avatar
    Muig197214/01/2022 13:20

Just checked, and there's a £60 activation fee for that.

Correct - but still available and cheaper than paying for 12 months when only needed for 5
  8. Avatar
    a666andy14/01/2022 13:37

Correct - but still available and cheaper than paying for 12 months when …Correct - but still available and cheaper than paying for 12 months when only needed for 5

It'd be interesting to know if contract-free customers still get the introductory price given to contracted customers (e.g. £20 for Super Fibre) - or if they go straight up to the heavily inflated post-contract price (e.g. £35)
    Edited by: "Muig1972" 14th Jan
  9. Avatar
    Muig197214/01/2022 13:42

It'd be interesting to know if contract-free customers still get the …It'd be interesting to know if contract-free customers still get the introductory price given to contracted customers (e.g. £20 for Super Fibre) - or if they go straight up to the heavily inflated post-contract price (e.g. £35)

Same monthly price, just the extra initial setup fee

46688787-9WSDG.jpg
  10. Avatar
    Author
    The NowTv/ Now Broadband deal was actually pretty good but says they cant provide to the address,

All mobile data coverage looks awful too bar o2 claiming theirs will be fine.

Might try a Smarty data sim as they seem cheapest (backing off Three) - if not will try Tesco using o2.
  11. Avatar
    jamesWHUFC14/01/2022 14:39

The NowTv/ Now Broadband deal was actually pretty good but says they cant …The NowTv/ Now Broadband deal was actually pretty good but says they cant provide to the address,All mobile data coverage looks awful too bar o2 claiming theirs will be fine.Might try a Smarty data sim as they seem cheapest (backing off Three) - if not will try Tesco using o2.

If you are going for mobile broadband, you could consider three 4G home broadband - 1 month rolling contract.
    It is £29 upfront + £30 p.m. with free 4G router.
    After one month min term, PAC it out to your desire network to cancel it.
    You get a 4G router in a cheaper price in this way
    Edited by: "Cisco060606" 14th Jan
  12. Avatar
    I tried using mobile broadband to cover the gap between moving house and getting virgin installed. It was a complete nightmare. The 4g 3 dongle that I got was lucky to clear 200kb while hanging it from the window for the best possible signal, so I ended up using my phone (O2) which was a lot better but <1mb.

Obviously its going to depend how good a signal you get on different networks, if at all possible you want to do a speed test inside the house with a phone/device on the network you are considering.
  13. Avatar
    Author
    Adster14/01/2022 16:39

I tried using mobile broadband to cover the gap between moving house and …I tried using mobile broadband to cover the gap between moving house and getting virgin installed. It was a complete nightmare. The 4g 3 dongle that I got was lucky to clear 200kb while hanging it from the window for the best possible signal, so I ended up using my phone (O2) which was a lot better but <1mb.Obviously its going to depend how good a signal you get on different networks, if at all possible you want to do a speed test inside the house with a phone/device on the network you are considering.

Yeah for sure. So far EE returned zilch. Trying o2 tomorrow which is the only network which from checking coverage on their site suggests we can get good enough signal.

Even standard Broadband from Sky for example says best we can get is 4mb. Going to be a boring few months
    Edited by: "jamesWHUFC" 14th Jan
  14. Avatar
    What about asking next door if you can jump on their WiFi? Many routers have a guest signal facility and they might be willing to help for a monthly contribution.
  15. Avatar
    Either Cuckoo Broadband via an Openreach line who do 30 day rolling contracts for FTTC, or FTTP broadband. Or else a 30 day rolling Mobile Broadband contract with Vodafone/O2/Three etc.
Post a comment
Top Merchants