broadband and getting away frm virgin

Found 12th Mar
Really need some advise, I need to get the hell away from Virgin Media, they drive me up the wall with there absolute incompatence in regards to customer service. Its a shame because the broadband itself is excellent i just keep geting shafted in bills and discounts constatly being removed after they tempt me back.

I digress, my main question is how slow is the suppposed other fibre services (which arent really fibre, but thats another topic). will i be making a mistake switching? Bare in mind, im a heavy streamer, heavier than the average joe, not talking torrnting but netflix, playstation etc.

if someone who's been in a similar position and has switched from virgin could provide some insight.

Can people advise any other companies (except for BT & Sky i wouldnt go near them) that will give comaprible service for a decent price. 25-30 pounds. I was only 50meg and happy with that.

Please help, gaaah they make me so angry.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Every broadband company I have been with has had poor customer service. I only stick with virgin as they proved good internet speeds but I’m greatly paying for that service. Go on a website that compares internet providers with costs and pick the best on suited to you.
Original Poster
It's the real world performance I need first hand knowledge on. That's the problem never been on any other type apart from virgin. Price comparison I know all bout but performance I don't. Or perhaps anyone that's had virgin but moved onto another provider can give some insight
Original Poster
RossD896 m ago

If you have never been with anybody else other than Virgin then why are …If you have never been with anybody else other than Virgin then why are you unwilling to go with Sky or BT?After Virgin, BT offer the fastest speeds in my area.

advise from firends and family who have either sky or BT. And yep have gone around and tried many times and not impressed, plus i just dont like either companies. Looking more a customer friendly and reliable broadband.
sonofgojira20 m ago

advise from firends and family who have either sky or BT. And yep have …advise from firends and family who have either sky or BT. And yep have gone around and tried many times and not impressed, plus i just dont like either companies. Looking more a customer friendly and reliable broadband.

Sorry, I deleted my comment as I had a quick look and there are ISPs who can match BT in my area - should have just edited it out, but oh well.

I'm currently with BT and haven't had any issues, but the problem with questions like yours is that for every person who will tell you that they have had a good experience with an ISP there will be somebody who will tell you the opposite, especially when it comes to the bigger providers. Ultimately I think that @SerpentSuicide is correct in his/her comment above.

Just to add, BT are currently offering £150 to switch to them which might be worth considering even if you aren't looking to go with them.
I dont understand why people jump on the speed bandwagon.
provided the ping is good and ISP does not throttle you should be able to stream anything on 10mbit connection. the fact people go for 300mbit just because it is fast is beyond me.
Ive seen people having 100mbit with VM and struggling to stream basic youtube video
mattsk10 m ago

I dont understand why people jump on the speed bandwagon.provided the ping …I dont understand why people jump on the speed bandwagon.provided the ping is good and ISP does not throttle you should be able to stream anything on 10mbit connection. the fact people go for 300mbit just because it is fast is beyond me.Ive seen people having 100mbit with VM and struggling to stream basic youtube video

How far is that 10mb going to stretch when 3-4 people all want to use the same connection?
RossD896 m ago

How far is that 10mb going to stretch when 3-4 people all want to use the …How far is that 10mb going to stretch when 3-4 people all want to use the same connection?

Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

you can still watch netflix .
bare in mind these days average uk broadband speed is 16mbit.... seems like plenty. that is if everyone streams.
video games dont take much broadband even 0.5mbit will do fine
Edited by: "mattsk" 12th Mar
So you want away from vigin don't want bt or sky, is that not leaving the likes of Plusnet, talktalk, ee and Vodafone etc(The ones i'd least likely go with) Personally I haven't had any issues with sky their customer service is usually pretty good. Pretty sure sky have some sort of speed promise, might be worth looking into
The ISP networks are all up to the job, speed limitations are almost always local infrastructure. The biggest factor is the length of the line between the cabinet and your house.

That could be short and you'll get 80Mbps, or it could be longer and you'll only get 20-30Mbps or less.

Have a walk about and see where the nearest green roadside cabinet is to you.

If you want to keep it sub-£30 then you'll likely stay on the discount merry go round though, most of the better ISPs charge ~£40 a month.
Original Poster
Perhaps I should have been a bit more detailed. Short of it is is there much difference between the fibre broadband and down the phone line broadband, essential ly noticeable difference when both advertised sppeeds are similar. It's a shame no jumpers from virgin have chimed in.
sonofgojira25 m ago

Perhaps I should have been a bit more detailed. Short of it is is there …Perhaps I should have been a bit more detailed. Short of it is is there much difference between the fibre broadband and down the phone line broadband, essential ly noticeable difference when both advertised sppeeds are similar. It's a shame no jumpers from virgin have chimed in.

again speed does not matter. you need to get the best latency
my friend has VM with 200mbit and he struggles to stream videos via the web, me on the other hand with Sky BB 37mbit no issues what so ever.
VM is known to throttle some of the streaming services
Lots of factors in this. It depends on how new the network you're on and in virgins case if you're local network is over subscribed. For me openreach is a lost cause as they refuse to update their network in my area so I'm stuck on cheap telephone cable that was never meant to transport broadband. Top speed for me is around 50mbit on openreach. Virgin media is around 200-300mbit and I pay £40 for the 200mbit package which is run off coax cable instead of the phone lines.

Virgin for me is a lot faster and I have very little issues besides unable to swap IP address between 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x. WIFI range is excellent and I have no obvious speed issues or lag.

The Youtube issue virgin had was because they buffered youtube on their own servers and these couldn't handle the traffic properly. This issue has been addressed and it works fine.

I find VM India to be difficult but sometimes they can fix issues depending on high the chain you go up. Most of the time it's easy to talk to someone in the UK.
Original Poster
kester765 m ago

Lots of factors in this. It depends on how new the network you're on and …Lots of factors in this. It depends on how new the network you're on and in virgins case if you're local network is over subscribed. For me openreach is a lost cause as they refuse to update their network in my area so I'm stuck on cheap telephone cable that was never meant to transport broadband. Top speed for me is around 50mbit on openreach. Virgin media is around 200-300mbit and I pay £40 for the 200mbit package which is run off coax cable instead of the phone lines.Virgin for me is a lot faster and I have very little issues besides unable to swap IP address between 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x. WIFI range is excellent and I have no obvious speed issues or lag.The Youtube issue virgin had was because they buffered youtube on their own servers and these couldn't handle the traffic properly. This issue has been addressed and it works fine. I find VM India to be difficult but sometimes they can fix issues depending on high the chain you go up. Most of the time it's easy to talk to someone in the UK.

Yeah, I appreciate that. Im just gonna be ****** at myself jumping elsewhere just cos I'm a Ponce for customer service, I refuse to shop at my local just cos they were rude to me, now have to travel 2 miles to get shopping. Yes that's the person I am. I'll probably end up stick with virgin now that I've calmed down.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 12th Mar
just fix what you have, email of complain nicely sounding out all of the issues you have had to tom.mockridge@virginmedia.co.uk and you will get a call back from one of their top customer service team in the UK. They are excellent and fix issues really quick. Make sure you list the issues, tell them you upset you are but dont use swear words or other words in your post above and you will get it fixed better the devil you know
mattsk8 h, 6 m ago

I dont understand why people jump on the speed bandwagon.provided the ping …I dont understand why people jump on the speed bandwagon.provided the ping is good and ISP does not throttle you should be able to stream anything on 10mbit connection. the fact people go for 300mbit just because it is fast is beyond me.Ive seen people having 100mbit with VM and struggling to stream basic youtube video

People go for the 300mb because it’s the only non traffic managed tariff.
sonofgojira6 h, 20 m ago

Yeah, I appreciate that. Im just gonna be ****** at myself jumping …Yeah, I appreciate that. Im just gonna be ****** at myself jumping elsewhere just cos I'm a Ponce for customer service, I refuse to shop at my local just cos they were rude to me, now have to travel 2 miles to get shopping. Yes that's the person I am. I'll probably end up stick with virgin now that I've calmed down.

Your going to end up with no broadband and a 1,000 mile trip for groceries if you keep up with that. Very few companies have good customer service these days, they seem to focus more on delivering cheap prices!
Switched from vm to BT and now pay £8.50 per month for 55mbps d/l, 8mbps upload including line rental. Brilliant service and only had 1 problem with my line and an engineer came out and fixed it within a day
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants