Broadband and line rental help

Found 23rd Feb
Hi all, I'm moving into a friend's place and they currently have no broadband, They have a phone line but it's been disconnected due to them not paying the bill......I want to get BB and a telephone line, But can I use my friends old number to set up a new provider etc....As I don't really want to pay set up costs for a new line.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Not sure what you mean about using a friend's old number. Numbers belong to lines, generally speaking, not people, so it's not as if you can pass them around to dodge fees.

What you can to is to use an ISP who offer free activation as part of their deal. You'll typically need to pay it back to them if you leave early, but if you don't, it's an easy way to save the £140-odds that BT charge these days. Try EE.
It's been disconnected so I doubt it. BT connection fee is a crazy-ass rip-off do not go through them. I remember Sky doing it for very little in comparison. Other companies may also be able to do so but idkfs
Try Plusnet. They have great deals and they will do all they can to get you connected (they usually offer great discounts or free connection to news accounts too).
jco8318 m ago

It's been disconnected so I doubt it. BT connection fee is a crazy-ass …It's been disconnected so I doubt it. BT connection fee is a crazy-ass rip-off do not go through them. I remember Sky doing it for very little in comparison. Other companies may also be able to do so but idkfs

I had similar, but spotted a BT engineer working on one of the local exchange boxes, I asked him if he could do it, and he did for a few beer tokens. Took him about 10mins to do and that included a cuppa.
dxx1 h, 25 m ago

Not sure what you mean about using a friend's old number. Numbers belong …Not sure what you mean about using a friend's old number. Numbers belong to lines, generally speaking, not people, so it's not as if you can pass them around to dodge fees.What you can to is to use an ISP who offer free activation as part of their deal. You'll typically need to pay it back to them if you leave early, but if you don't, it's an easy way to save the £140-odds that BT charge these days. Try EE.

I don't want to use a number, as they've been cut off, Looking at BB deals and line rental etc, I've been seeing that I'll get charged between £65-75 activation fee, which I presume is a new line, Was just seeing if there was any way around this added cost, as the phone line is there...just not connected anymore
iduno878 m ago

I don't want to use a number, as they've been cut off, Looking at BB deals …I don't want to use a number, as they've been cut off, Looking at BB deals and line rental etc, I've been seeing that I'll get charged between £65-75 activation fee, which I presume is a new line, Was just seeing if there was any way around this added cost, as the phone line is there...just not connected anymore

I see.

Skip to the last two words of the post, then. EE were who I used when I had a new line installation, and they covered the cost entirely. They may do the same for you, as may other ISPs. Look around.
The approach is possibly a little narrow. The total cost of the contract term should be considered, not simply one element of the initial setup costs. A minor reconnection fee could be easily outweighed by a relatively higher monthly service cost compared to another provider that charged higher initial fee(s) but lower monthly service costs; same for the differences in new-customer incentives. It may even be more cost-effective to consider cellular broadband, such as the current VirginMobile £20/month unlimited data/mins/txts 12m contract with zero set-up fee. That cellular solution can apparently be used in a handset that can generate a hotspot, or a dongle, or a 4G-enabled router or a handset connected to a suitably-enabled router, although I would want to view the deal t&c before commitment hotukdeals.com/dea…996
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants