Groups

Broadband help

Are these internet wires ok to touch or are they 'live' and leave till engineer comes out in the next 4days?

18 Comments

Banned

How is someone supposed to know if a wire is live or not from a picture! oO

touch it and let us know

curt889

Are these internet wires ok to touch or are they 'live' and leave till … Are these internet wires ok to touch or are they 'live' and leave till engineer comes out in the next 4days?

Is that the latest version of the Internet?

Mine looks like this:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/4fbb7e9ae34514d9a408e72cef5eec68/tumblr_n2n7ptuEOu1tu7965o1_500.gif

Original Poster

these are Internet wires... just wondering if they're safe to touch...

curt889

these are Internet wires... just wondering if they're safe to touch...

Phone line / ADSL are fine to touch there not live cables, however i have no idea what the other cables are in the picture lol.

Can you get someone else to touch it first? That's what i would do.

MrScotchBonnet

How is someone supposed to know if a wire is live or not from a picture! … How is someone supposed to know if a wire is live or not from a picture! oO

I think that is the advanced section of the training manual for the BT Call Centre staff in Bangalore.

The customer in the UK has to hold their telephone up to the wires first, though.

Original Poster

AStonedRaichu

Phone line / ADSL are fine to touch there not live cables, however i have … Phone line / ADSL are fine to touch there not live cables, however i have no idea what the other cables are in the picture lol.

thanks
    a few lads was **** about and ripped em out
    my broadband has gone off and tried to explain to EE about it

my question is how did the wires get into that stat... I dont think a engineer would have left them like that.

Banned

cut it all. sue them

Original Poster

centurion01

my question is how did the wires get into that stat... I dont think a … my question is how did the wires get into that stat... I dont think a engineer would have left them like that.

​i don't know
    recently moved into a flat

Why do you want to touch them? oO

Original Poster

chocci

Why do you want to touch them? oO

​to connect em back to see if my broadband comes back on

curt889

​to connect em back to see if my broadband comes back on

If they aren't live, then they wont work when reconnected! oO

Low voltage anyway

if you accidentally connect powered cables to the phone line in could blow the wires, youd be at fault and incure the repair costs.
    id wait for the engineer, and id be asking the landlord if there was a safety inspection dont before you moved in.
    also the wiring should have been in trunking and better fixed

Its a typical BT internal DP (distribution point) within a building. Some or all of the wires will be live but only low voltage so the most you'll get is a "tingle" when you touch them.
    Tbh, its in such a sh*t state already that nothing you do will make it any worse, just try not to knock any of your neighbours wires off while you're trying to fix your own. The black plastic tie holding the cover on looks like the releasable type so you should be able to press the tab on it, undo it to get the cover off then secure it again after.

looks good to me
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media - what is a good price?39
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2853
      3. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1021
      4. Is this a Nespresso capsules compatible machine?11

See more discussions