Groups

Broadband in my area ??

Can anyone find me a good BB service, she lives in the Arbroath area DD11 1JB, its not for me its for Mrs saxo's aunt. she was with Talk Talk but wants to move for a better offer. She also wants wireless for he comp so a free wireless etc with the offer is needed, i was thinking of BT but i think the payments a month are steep.
    iv tried "samknows" altho thats not up to date as it says we dont get tiscali....which i know my area does

thanks anyone

34 Comments

does she already have cable saxo or a mobile fone?

I would say try virgin but I know their not the best wide coverage though.

Saxo - mate, thought this'd be an easy one to answer........ SKY?

Samknows is very up-to-date, it says 'no' next to Tiscali, because Tiscali has not yet unbundled the exchange with their own equipment (ADSL2+, like we have!), you would still be able to get standard ADSL with Tiscali using the BT network (re-sold to Tiscali).

If there's still ports available at the exchange and assuming she has Sky TV, it would appear to be a no-brainer! If she does not have Sky tv - sign her up as a friend and you'll both get £50 in M&S vouchers.

If she does not have SKY tv and doesn't want it, i'd think real hard about which non-LLU service to take, best to ask around in the area if possible as to the quality of the service offered by different ISPs.

Personally, SKY aside, i'd stear clear of Orange, AOL, Virgin and Tiscali!! - which doesn't really leave much of an option.
    My Sky contract is up in April and although i've not had too many dramas with them, I may well be persuaded to go to O2 / BE* if they ever get around to LLUing my exchange!

Good luck though...

PS - hugs to Jenny too!

ok sax been having a nosey around and still hitting a brick wall can't find anyone saying anything good about any supplier. and the supply up that end of the country is limited . most say BB is poss but it will have to go through the BT line :thinking:

hey Jay hows it going??

Top Banana dear!
    shhhh... check your PMs!!

Original Poster

no mate, they had sky and i knew you were going to say that lol i was away to text you !

no cable in our area either folks, it stopped at carnoustie.....

Original Poster

what about talk talk or Bt?

I thought you said she was already with TT?

I would advise against TT - there are some real horror stories with them - 2 guys in my office are with TT and the service is pitiful. one of the should definately max out and get at least 8 meg - he actually struggles to get higher than 1 meg from them (and he's done all the tricks and stuff to ensure the problems are not with him too).

As for BT - well, it will be reliable, but that's about it, she'll be using the same network that is cut up and re-sold to all other non-LLU ISPs, so contention is a major issue (poor speed in peak times). Rumour has it that SKY are launching a service called Picnic that does not require a TV subscription, however no SLA as to launch date!

I really don't know what to suggest? - sorry mate!

Original Poster

thats ok ill have a word with her, i think the best would be Bt for just now.

when is SKY going to take on BT and go for line rental ? thats what i heard on the grapevine

IDNet, not the cheapest, just the best, no long term contracts, excellent support service.

Check their customer feedback at ThinkBroadband.

Banned

saxo_appeal;1387469

what about talk talk or Bt?

The official worst telecoms operators in the UK. Just watch any epsiode of Watchdog. Both these terrible companies get their own weekly spot. Steer clear.

Original Poster

thing is tho, being in the east of scotland there isnt much to choose from !

Saxo - try plus.net. My folks are with them and had no problems on a semi rural exchange. Their £14.99 package gives 8Gb allowance and comes with a free wireless router. Also they give you a 90 money back trial if you are not happy with the service.

plus.net/swi…ch/

plus.net/pro…on2

plus.net/pre…tml

No connection to plus.net except they have offered good service to my parents and also have a UK call centre with a normal std number

EliTom

Try the broadband package search at ]Think Broadband You will be able to use any ISP who uses a BT line.

elitom;1388567

Saxo - try plus.net. My folks are with them and had no problems on a semi … Saxo - try plus.net. My folks are with them and had no problems on a semi rural exchange.

Been there, got the T Shirt, speeds are terrible at busy times.

this site will tell you what is available in your area and who is LLU ]http//ww…php

Tiscali seem to vary area area. See if anyone nearby ahs that. If they say its good, get that.
    Its cheap and they do hponecall deals etc
    I live in a little village, and its superb ehre always getting what we pay for and they do a good deal on up to 8mb+anytime phonecalls

Original Poster

thankyou everyone for your help !

Original Poster

do you rthink she should go for the plus.net bb?

you only get a router with one slot in the back tho, might be a drawback but might be ok

Original Poster

tiscalli deal is pretty good with a wireless router, her aunt wont be downloading !

tiscali.co.uk/pro…de=

When I was with Plusnet they were absolutely terrible. Throttled everything during peak-time and their peak-time was like 8am till 12 midnight. Customer service was non-existant.
    Maybe they have changed a bit as elitom has had no probs but don't get roped into a 12 month contract and take full advantage of the 90 day money back trial.
    Sorry to be so negative but I can only go with my experience and that of a friend who I put onto Plusnet

Check out ]NamesCo "Best small ISP 2007"

saxo_appeal;1389506

do you rthink she should go for the plus.net bb?you only get a router … do you rthink she should go for the plus.net bb?you only get a router with one slot in the back tho, might be a drawback but might be ok

Depends on usage...

How many computers has she got? If its only one plus a laptop then its OK.

To be honest I have never had a problem with my parents speed, but never really used it in anger. So her aunt's usage is lowish, normal Internet surfing and email it will be fine. If she downloads loads of stuff then maybe look elsewhere, but all ISP throttle to some degree unless you pay for a low contention ratio service.

At the end of the day if you are not happy after 90 days, get the MAC code and go elsewhere.

hth

EliTom

Original Poster

would be good to get one with a free router

cheers

saxo_appeal;1389617

would be good to get one with a free routercheers

with plus.net you get a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless Router.

Yes it is only a one port, but generally thats enough. I only used the wired connection to setup my parents security then they only use wireless on a laptop.

As I said before, if Mrs Saxo's aunt has many PCs then maybe you need four port router, but for most people this is a good solid router. My folks has not missed a eat in about a year now.

hth

EliTom

Original Poster

no only one comp mate,

saxo_appeal;1389617

Oh well, I tried. My conscience is clear.:-D

Original Poster

lol, thanks tho for the help

yipykayay;1389570

Check out ]NamesCo "Best small ISP 2007"

Says who?, not their customers, that's for sure.

Checkout ThinkBroadband.

saxo_appeal;1389617

Saxo...you know that nothing is ever " free " it always comes at a price, usually a 12 month contract.

Original Poster

hehe

yeh i suppose, i think she is going to go with Tiscalli.....

hmmm

saxo_appeal;1391598

heheyeh i suppose, i think she is going to go with Tiscalli..... hmmm

Before you do, check this out;

ispreview.co.uk/cgi…YUy

Makes yer eyes water.. ;-)

Inactive;1391274

Says who?, not their customers, that's for sure.Checkout ThinkBroadband.

They won best small ISP 2007 in the PC advisor reader awards.
    If you would care to follow your own advice and "Checkout ThinkBroadband", you will see that Namesco comes out on top of Plusnet, Tiscali, BT, Orange and most of the other budget ISPs. Says their customers:p
    BTW. I am also with IdNet and agree that they are the best ....

yipykayay;1391812

They won best small ISP 2007 in the PC advisor reader awards. If you … They won best small ISP 2007 in the PC advisor reader awards. If you would care to follow your own advice and "Checkout ThinkBroadband", you will see that Namesco comes out on top of Plusnet, Tiscali, BT, Orange and most of the other budget ISPs. Says their customers:p

Try putting in a comparison with IDNet with all/any ISP's at Thinkbroadband.:whistling:

I never trust anything that PC Advisor spouts.

Inactive;1394212

Try putting in a comparison with IDNet with all/any ISP's at … Try putting in a comparison with IDNet with all/any ISP's at Thinkbroadband.:whistling:

Now that would be clever
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767472
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691425
      3. word association Game74044579
      4. One thing you've forgotten911

See more discussions