Groups

Broadband prices BT

Morning folks,

Currently using BT Infinity 2 in my house with BT line and with a phone.

Realised last night I am paying close to £50 a month for just the Internet as house phone never gets used, it isn't even plugged in! That £50 includes land line cost.

Would like to try and get cost down a bit but still keep a good internet speed.

Any idea over if I call BT to cancel will they be open to any discounts on what I am paying?

I can get Virgin in my area but when my home was being done up I removed the house side of their connection into the house as it looked a mess.

Ally

9 Comments

If your out of contract it's always best to say your leaving see what they offer to stay, take theat price to other providers and see what they offer, keep doing it until you get the price your happy with.

BT wouldn't drop their price, so i left and went to sse.
    it annoys me that new customers can get a great deal
    but existing customers get no deal at all.

I'm starting to be of the opinion that I should become a utility **** and change providers every single year if I'm not totally happy with the deal. I did that last year with Sky, reduced a £53 monthly bill to £17 with a better package. This year Sky wouldn't do anything so it's off to NowTV for a couple of years with four very cheap entertainment packages that I've bought. Still running Sky BB but keeping my eyes open for a good deal (don't need mega-fast, just usable) and then I'll jump on it. House insurance this year, around £100 but with a £50 Littlewoods voucher which I've already used. Car insurance, wanted £40 extra than last year despite no claims. Left, they wanted me back, I accepted £25 less than last years premium, plus extra cover.

Cool story yeah? The moral of it is basically to shop around but don't just threaten to leave, actually leave if you're not totally happy.

If you're out of contract/coming to the end of your contract, say you're leaving to join TalkTalk as they offer much better value. They'll then talk a whole load of sh** about TalkTalk and how they slow you down at peak times etc. You then say you still want to leave and hang up. In a couple of days they'll call you and offer you a great deal. I'm paying £17.50 a month (plus line rental of £17.99 I think) for BT Infinity 2. Hope this helps.

Original Poster

Paul, fair play to you, I will wait until contract is a few days from being up and see what they can do and if zero make a move! Does annoy me though that some firms don't recognise customer loyalty and take for granted so screw you over! Appreciate the replies. Ally

Original Poster

Jakirrr, that's not a bad deal! Will see what they say and do when time comes.

ALYMAC76

Paul, fair play to you, I will wait until contract is a few days from … Paul, fair play to you, I will wait until contract is a few days from being up and see what they can do and if zero make a move! Does annoy me though that some firms don't recognise customer loyalty and take for granted so screw you over! Appreciate the replies. Ally

It's circular. If a provider is going to offer a 'free' router and a hundred quid or more of 'free' months then of course they have to charge more after the offer to make a profit.

If people are swayed by discounts then the bigger the initial discounts become and the higher the subsequent prices, driving people to switch even more often and exaggerating the situation further.

You can play the game and if you keep on your toes and switch at the end of the contract it's undoubtedly the cheapest way to go.

Alternatively if you want to keep your broadband for a few years then it's probably just as cheap (if not cheaper) to go for a less splashy provider that charges you the same price each month without discounts and freebies. The likes of Pulse8, Uno, Vivacti etc.

A fair price for home use FTTC is around £35-40 a month.

Regardless of who you go with you will be paying for line rental. Yes, VM does offer Broadband without a phone line, but the last time I looked at their prices you'd only be saving something like £1.50 per month.

databar

BT wouldn't drop their price, so i left and went to sse.it annoys me … BT wouldn't drop their price, so i left and went to sse.it annoys me that new customers can get a great dealbut existing customers get no deal at all.

​It's the same with sky, I left them after 9 years
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2854
      2. I want some backless loafers for men33
      3. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)510
      4. Xbox one region locked codes?22

See more discussions