Found 21st Jun 2009
I've got a tough challenge on hand, not an easy one, so bear with me. I'm after an ideal broadband deal.

I need broadband for about 2 months. if possible no 12 month contract. (off to uni in the summer)
Best if its unlimited, or has 10gb+ monthly cap. (want to watch youtube video, stream stuff,etc)
Doesn't have to be fast, but I'm not looking for laggy mobile internet.
The less server side network shaping , and lower ping the better. ( I want to use iplayer)
Almost forgot, the cheaper startup and monthly fee, the better.

Any ideas?

15 Comments

Maybe go for a dongle I beleive there are rolling monthly options or PAYG out there.

Sorry can't be of more help

I have virgin, no yearly subcription, £17.99 per month, free wireless router, i get about 8mbps wirelessly, unlimited (reasonable usage) never had any downtime in 4 years with them and great customer service, one thing i did like with them is when i was in Australia last year, the price dropped and they lowered my DD and actually refunded me 3 months subscription as they forgot to do it when the price dropped!!!

broadband.co.uk/pro…ia/

Aol do a flexi broadband deal
£29.99 set up, £4.99 for the first three months then £14.99
No 12 month Term, Includes wireless router and 10GB Usage allowence

aolbroadband.co.uk/pag…jsp

krazykel;5549006

Aol do a flexi broadband deal£29.99 set up, £4.99 for the first three m … Aol do a flexi broadband deal£29.99 set up, £4.99 for the first three months then £14.99No 12 month Term, Includes wireless router and 10GB Usage allowencehttp://www.aolbroadband.co.uk/pages/productPages/acquisition/wirelessFlexi.jsp

Personal opinion but cant stand AOL, seem to be like some cult, horrible company

garbage456;5548960

go with virgin media just pay for what you need, then when you finished … go with virgin media just pay for what you need, then when you finished with the Broadband cancel that but keep the phone going. It is impossible to have a 10gb monthly cap and have only a 2 month contract. are you really sure you need a 10gb monthly usage because that is enormous.

+1, Virgin are great, one gripe is i do so much d'lding they cap my speed between 4pm - Midnight:x, can downloada 700mb file in the morning in about 15 mins, after 4pm takes me forever, doesnt affect my normal browsing just downloading

Are you transfering from an existing ADSL connection or is this a new one?

If it's a new one then ]IDNet looks like a good choice, and ]Karoo might be cheaper if they don't have any connection fee.

I might change over providor sometime soon,if I was going changeover I would go through quidco for some cashback. Some of the isp's have offered free laptops etc in past.

sky do a good deal

Original Poster

From my past experience, AOL's internet was terrible, I don't really wish to sign up with them again. After looking around, I realised 10Gb cap might be on the small side.Then I came across this site:

money.co.uk/bro…ASC

I found one interesting one by a company named 'Be', their 'Be Unlimited 24Mb (3 Months)' deal offers 24meg download, and unlimited bandwidth, as well as 3 month minimum contract, and all for £20 a month. What do you guys think?

I'd just go with the mobile broadband, get yourself an O2 Iphone Sim for a couple of quid and abuse the free internet on that

Original Poster

I'm currently using mobile internet by T-mobile but its and very slow. Putting a sims card into my 5800, and creating a hotspot by it.

Speed is very important for me, beside, using mobile internet with a Dell M1730 is a real waste...

Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone can help me explain something?

We have BT line in our house, but we have not signed up for any landline, or broadband contracts, ever since we moved in.

Suppose if we do get a broadband deal from a third party, do we need to pay BT anything?

Also since we have not contacted BT since we moved in, we don't have a landline number, can we still sign up for third part internet? I notice that most of the internet service providers request a landline number. :thinking:

Quicklite;5552501

I found one interesting one by a company named 'Be', their 'Be Unlimited … I found one interesting one by a company named 'Be', their 'Be Unlimited 24Mb (3 Months)' deal offers 24meg download, and unlimited bandwidth, as well as 3 month minimum contract, and all for £20 a month. What do you guys think?

Be are apparently very good, but only availible at around 20% of exchanges so you may not be able to get their service.

Quicklite;5552873

Also since we have not contacted BT since we moved in, we don't have a … Also since we have not contacted BT since we moved in, we don't have a landline number, can we still sign up for third part internet? I notice that most of the internet service providers request a landline number. :thinking:

For ADSL or ADSL2+ you need a BT wholesale landline, although you can pay someone else for the line rental if you don't want to deal with BT. Do you know whether the house has a phone line physically?

For cable you don't, but Virgin are the only one with a cable network and have a 12 month contract AFAIK.

Mobile internet may be your best bet, they operate of different networks so even if t-mobile is slow one of the others may have a better speed in your area.

Original Poster

Yes, we do have physically phone line.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Renewing sportsmania.rocks610
    2. What's this on my neighbours roof?1011
    3. Whey protien46
    4. Is this junction box wired properly??610

See more discussions