Groups

BROADBAND SATISFACTION REVIEWS

As it seems that nearly all of us seem to have problems with our broadband provider at one time or another, I was hoping we could all write our experiences here for everyone else.
    If we could stick to the following FORMAT it would make it easier to read for all concerned

Company -
    Monthly Rental -
    Quality(out of 10) -
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed -
    How often you have problems -
    How you can contact your supplier - ie. email, through website, phone, PREMIUM RATE PHONE.
    Average time spent on phone each time
    How long it takes them to sort problems
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher.
    Have you ever been overcharged.

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider.

I have no doubt I have missed a lot of here, that is quite normal for me(cant think and type), if you think there is something that should be added please let me know and I will add it in.
    Thanks

James

22 Comments

Company - *Be
    Monthly Rental - £22.99
    Quality(out of 10) - 9/10
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - around 20meg - 24meg
    How often you have problems - occasionaly over night, but they text to say if there are going to be any problems
    How you can contact your supplier - email, through the website, they answer queries really quickly
    Average time spent on phone each time- n/a
    How long it takes them to sort problems- asap
    Can you understand the helpdesk- spoken to someone on the phone once, they called me, indian call centre but easy to understand
    Have you ever been overcharged.- got a few months free due to them being held up sending the modem out (we bought another modem)

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 95

Banned

Company - Virgin
    Monthly Rental - £15
    Quality(out of 10) - 10/10
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - 20mb / 20mb
    How often you have problems - hardly ever
    How you can contact your supplier -Email, phone, PREMIUM RATE PHONE but refunded if their fault.
    Average time spent on phone each time - 5 mins
    How long it takes them to sort problems - very quick
    Can you understand the helpdesk - yes as english well spoken
    Have you ever been overcharged - yes but refunded next month after a quick call (freephone 150)

score 98/100

Company - IDNet
    Monthly Rental - £14.99 (special deal)
    Quality(out of 10) - 9.5
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - 3mb - up to 8mb
    How often you have problems - once in 2.5 years
    How you can contact your supplier - ie. email, through website, phone, PREMIUM RATE PHONE. Free phone number or email
    Average time spent on phone each time 2 - 5 mins
    How long it takes them to sort problems 2 - 5 mins
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher. Yes UK based and answered by staff with knowledge not script monkeys
    Have you ever been overcharged. no

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 97

Company - SKY
    Monthly Rental - £10.00
    Quality(out of 10) - 5/10
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - around 4meg & 10meg
    How often you have problems - All the time
    How you can contact your supplier - phone difficult to speak to helpdesk
    Average time spent on phone each time- 50mins
    How long it takes them to sort problems- days
    Can you understand the helpdesk- Not always
    Have you ever been overcharged.- No

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 40

Thanks for this thread as looking to change

Company - PlusNet
    Monthly Rental - £14.99
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - 3mb/upto8mb
    How often you have problems - Never
    How you can contact your supplier - email, through website, phone
    Average time spent on phone each time - 10 mins
    How long it takes them to sort problems - 1 day
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher. - English Helpdesk
    Have you ever been overcharged. - Never

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. - 95/100

I requested my MAC code from the a few weeks ago as I could get my broadband chepaer elsewhere. They called me up that day and offered to cut my rental in half for 6 months and then review it again at that point.

Can not grumble at that. They also offer a whole loads of extras.

Company - SKY
    Monthly Rental - £5.00
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - 7 meg & up to 8 meg
    How often you have problems - not often at all - September last year were a few though, but these were with the exchange.
    How you can contact your supplier - e-mail & phone, can be difficult to speak to helpdesk
    Average time spent on phone each time- 5mins
    How long it takes them to sort problems- 'in BT's hands!!'
    Can you understand the helpdesk- Not always

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 90

Company - Virgin
    Monthly Rental - 14.99
    Quality(out of 10) - 6
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed -1mg/1mg:-(
    How often you have problems -all the time during the day
    How you can contact your supplier - ie. email, through website, phone, PREMIUM RATE PHONE.- other day i had an online chat which was good
    Average time spent on phone each time- dont phone unless i have to an i just have to put up with having to keep rebooting the router
    How long it takes them to sort problems-
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher.
    Have you ever been overcharged.

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider-60

Company - Talk Talk
    Monthly Rental - "Free" with International Call Package 2 which is £16 per month
    Quality(out of 10) - 10/10
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - Typically 5-6meg (they promise up to 8meg) but does get as high as 30meg with 40gb monthly allowance
    How often you have problems - Been with them a year and never had a problem
    How you can contact your supplier - e-mail & phone
    Average time spent on phone each time- Not applicable
    How long it takes them to sort problems- Not applicable
    Can you understand the helpdesk- Only ever contacted the helpdesk a couple of weeks before activation for the modem settings which they were reluct\ant to give as they said they only support their own Talk talk modems not any other brand (mine is a Belkin). Once I got these settings after about 30 minutes of talking to various people it was no problem - they worked first time. Everyone I spoke to was in India and they were sometimes difficult to understand and several of the techie guys didn't seem to know what I was talking about, maybe it was me?:whistling:

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 100

Company - Tiscali
    Monthly Rental - £17.99
    Quality(out of 10) - 0
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - In evenings around 200k - line cleared for 6.4 MB by BT technicians
    How often you have problems - Constantly
    How you can contact your supplier - All options are available - but they have not got a clue
    Average time spent on phone each time - 20 minutes
    How long it takes them to sort problems - N/A - probelms persist
    Can you understand the helpdesk - Based in India. Difficult to understand but friendly.
    Have you ever been overcharged. - Every month. I moved my telephone to Tiscali as part of deal as they mromised to at least match the BT prices - but as Tiscali charges 4 times more than BT for calls to certain 0844 numbers which we use for calls to overseas our monthly phone bill is around £40 instead of around £10.

DO NOT take Tiscali up on their 8 MB Broadband offer. They DO NOT have the bandwidth available at the exchanges - hence they are selling a product they fully well know they cannot supply. Tiscali effectively distributes the available bandwidth between an ever increasing number of customers - hence the dreadful performance.

If you wish to retain your sanity - stay well away..............

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 0 - or maybe 1 as the call center employees are clueless but at least the are friendly

Banned

Scarpia;1695629

Company - TiscaliMonthly Rental - £17.99Quality(out of 10) - 0Avg … Company - TiscaliMonthly Rental - £17.99Quality(out of 10) - 0Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - In evenings around 200k - line cleared for 6.4 MB by BT techniciansHow often you have problems - ConstantlyHow you can contact your supplier - All options are available - but they have not got a clueAverage time spent on phone each time - 20 minutesHow long it takes them to sort problems - N/A - probelms persistCan you understand the helpdesk - Based in India. Difficult to understand but friendly.Have you ever been overcharged. - Every month. I moved my telephone to Tiscali as part of deal as they mromised to at least match the BT prices - but as Tiscali charges 4 times more than BT for calls to certain 0844 numbers which we use for calls to overseas our monthly phone bill is around £40 instead of around £10.DO NOT take Tiscali up on their 8 MB Broadband offer. They DO NOT have the bandwidth available at the exchanges - hence they are selling a product they fully well know they cannot supply. Tiscali effectively distributes the available bandwidth between an ever increasing number of customers - hence the dreadful performance.If you wish to retain your sanity - stay well away..............Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 0 - or maybe 1 as the call center employees are clueless but at least the are friendly

I respect your opinion,but this is just isolated case,i think,cos i am with tiscali for second year,and no major problems whatsoever,somtimes speeds gets low,but i have found cure for this.-just reboot your router and you have speed around 5.8MB/s.

Banned

miffy121;1695588

Company - VirginMonthly Rental - 14.99Quality(out of 10) - 6Avg download … Company - VirginMonthly Rental - 14.99Quality(out of 10) - 6Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed -1mg/1mg:-(How often you have problems -all the time during the dayHow you can contact your supplier - ie. email, through website, phone, PREMIUM RATE PHONE.- other day i had an online chat which was goodAverage time spent on phone each time- dont phone unless i have to an i just have to put up with having to keep rebooting the routerHow long it takes them to sort problems-Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher.Have you ever been overcharged.Out of 100 what would you score your network provider-60

I had same problem with my router last year. i expect you have the NTL Home one which is useless. Ask for a new one and they will send you the new black VM one. My speed went from 4mb to 20mb too lol :thumbsup:

Company - Orange
    Monthly Rental - £12.99
    Quality(out of 10) - 10
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - 6.5mb / up tp 8mb
    How often you have problems - Never
    How you can contact your supplier - ie. email, through website, phone, PREMIUM RATE PHONE. phone and email
    Average time spent on phone each time - only made one call to get mac and in 5 mins i had my costs cut and speed increased
    How long it takes them to sort problems - never had any
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher.- Only time i phoned i spoke to uk call center
    Have you ever been overcharged. - No

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. - 100

csiman:-it is netgear dg834g, is that the one u mean. I am hopefully switching to bt shortly and they have a new home hub when you join

Company - UKFSN
    Monthly Rental - 20.00
    Quality(out of 10) - 7
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed -1mg/2mg
    How often you have problems - occaionally but i cant connect a router to the line for some reason
    How you can contact your supplier - ie. email, through website, phone, PHONE.- but it isnt a very good service
    Average time spent on phone each time- its usually a 20min call
    How long it takes them to sort problems- it still hasnt so i have to use a modem and i have to take the risk if BT come out for the £150 if they cant find a fault
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher. Uk desk
    Have you ever been overcharged. No

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider-70

Monthly Rental - £14.99 (However I am on up to 8Mbs service 2Gb per month included all Packets prioritised over their network. New subscribers cannot sign up to this and would be subject to traffic shaping unless opting for Pro package at £19.99pm)
    Quality(out of 10) - 10
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - 3.4miles from exchange and should get approx 2.5Mbs according to various sites. Connection speed varies from 1.5-3.2Mbs as line is ADSL Max and router alters speed on the fly. Note: Plusnet publically display their max download speeds for each product and limit it at certain times. i.e. £9.99 Option1 service can be as low as 50Kb (bytes not bits) 6-8pm for usenet/peer-to-peer and only as high as 256kb (12am-12pm) for usenet. i.e. no matter what speeds you line is you won't get more than 256kbs for usenet/peer-to-peer. At least they admit the speeds you will be subject to unlike other providers
    How often you have problems - Occasionally need to reboot the DG834T router but not had to do that since using bespoke firmware.
    How you can contact your supplier - ie. email, through website, phone, PREMIUM RATE PHONE. Same other plusnet user above.
    Average time spent on phone each time - never phoned them
    How long it takes them to sort problems - no idea
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher. - never phoned them
    Have you ever been overcharged. - never

What would you score your network provider : 90

Right now I've provided that - is this thread really going to help as number of replies is going to be a smaller sample than the likes of thinkbroadband.com (formally adslguide) or PCPro who also conducted a survey and ranked them?

Company - Virgin Media
    Monthly Rental - £39!!!! (will be phoning up as it's only £20 a month now!)
    Quality(out of 10) - 8
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed -15mb/20mb (only ever got a max of 15mb
    How often you have problems -speed wise constantly as im less than 2 miles from the exchange yet never get the full speed
    How you can contact your supplier - email, phone (free) letter
    Average time spent on phone each time: 20
    How long it takes them to sort problems not too long
    Can you understand the helpdesk, ie. have they got an strong accent you cant decipher. their based in the north east so i can understand them fine
    Have you ever been overcharged. now i have

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 80

Banned

miffy121;1695957

csiman:-it is netgear dg834g, is that the one u mean. I am hopefully … csiman:-it is netgear dg834g, is that the one u mean. I am hopefully switching to bt shortly and they have a new home hub when you join

I meant modem, not router. Believe me when I say that BT are awful. You will regret the move.

dg834g is an adsl modem/router (g on the end specifying its 54Mbs wireless g, or gt like I have specifying its 108Mbs wireless g with other netgear hardware) so I think miffy121 is on virgin ADSL service currently?

yes i am on virgin adsl and i was just about to change over to BT, but after csiman's comment above im not so sure. I rang Bt a few minutes ago and asked if i could have residential broadband BUT our line is business line and so they said no, i asked them how i get Virgin then and he said that i shouldnt be able to get residential on a business line. If i change to BT business it would be more expensive and the business side of things would not benefit so i dont no what to do but he did say they would reduce the line rental if i went with them.
    GOSH ITS ALL SO CONFUSING:?

Company - TalkTalk
    Monthly Rental - £21.00 incl line rental etc etc (Talk3)
    Quality(out of 10) - 9
    Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - 4.2AVG - up to 8
    How often you have problems - rare/ can't remember
    How you can contact your supplier - through website & 0870 number free to customers.
    Average time spent on phone each time: 4/5mins
    How long it takes them to sort problems: they passed to BT who had to come round.
    Can you understand the helpdesk: 50/50 different call centres usually I can understand them :whistling:
    Have you ever been overcharged: NO

Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 90

Kitten13;1695213

Company - *BeMonthly Rental - £22.99Quality(out of 10) - 9/10Avg … Company - *BeMonthly Rental - £22.99Quality(out of 10) - 9/10Avg download Speed & Proposed download speed - around 20meg - 24megHow often you have problems - occasionaly over night, but they text to say if there are going to be any problemsHow you can contact your supplier - email, through the website, they answer queries really quicklyAverage time spent on phone each time- n/aHow long it takes them to sort problems- asapCan you understand the helpdesk- spoken to someone on the phone once, they called me, indian call centre but easy to understandHave you ever been overcharged.- got a few months free due to them being held up sending the modem out (we bought another modem)Out of 100 what would you score your network provider. 95

I forgot to add before, there is no fair use policy and no down load limits on *be

csiman;1696005

I meant modem, not router. Believe me when I say that BT are awful. You … I meant modem, not router. Believe me when I say that BT are awful. You will regret the move.

Couldn't agree with CSIman more - really really, do not go with BT - their network is out of date and struggling to keep up with today's demand!
    Miffy - i've replied in your broadband thread too - so i'll stop going off topic on this thread!!
    :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??11
      2. Three connection78
      3. Question for electrician on bathroom fan44
      4. Is it worth spending £20k on a car?1722

See more discussions