Broadband? Shall I wait?

Posted 18th Nov
I think it's time for me to possibly get broadband. I honestly want to get it cheap as possible.

Anyone recommend any deals?
Shall I wait over the next few weeks for deals?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Not cheap as possible but this time get fibre broadband from Vodafone which is cheaper than any1.
You get free Google hub worth £230 and £90 cashback on top cashback, make sure it tracks. They have released a new hub
Voxi £10/m no contract unlimited cellular data. Throw the sim in that Voda/unlocked 4G ancient long-since abandoned Android handset kicking around the rear of your come-in-handy drawer, then turn on the handset's wifi hotspot. Will work fine until Voxi graduates from counting school.
Or similar at similar cost via 3, but 3 will want a credit check and 12months commitment.
You have a cooling off period with which you can cancel in and it might take two weeks to activate anyway.

Ive just initiated a change from Sky to TalkTalk fibre and they say i can cancel anytime up to the 3rd December. If some super Black Friday deal comes along in the meantime i will cancel and change. If not, im happy with what TalkTalk offered. (£21.95 per month, 18mnth fixed price, 67mb, plus £100 top cashback - already tracked) beating skys price of £30.99 i was due to go up to after deals finished.
try community fibre or hyperoptic if you want it fast.

or wait until labour win the general election and sign up for free broadband - supposedly.
Edited by: "seb" 18th Nov
What sort of Broadband?

Mobile? / Landline ADSL? / Fibre? / Satellite? (Yeah, I know - who has satellite eh?)

Nearly EVERY supplier has 'deals' - what do you think is going to happen in the 'next few weeks' eh? I predict more 'deals' will appear. It's the money merry-go-round. One supplier will be cheapest one month - next month the dearer supplier will knock out a deal and be cheapest. It's a system designed to keep our monies moving around.

If you haven't looked yet, MSE's guide is a good starter. You can subscribe to their newsletter and each week it'll give you a rundown of who's good/cheap and has offers on the go.

moneysavingexpert.com/pho…and

Shell Energy seem to be the cheapest "standard" BB at the mo - voucher deal though. Still, works out at £128.88 for the year. Need to ditch & switch though unless you can get a good retention deal.

The ever-hated Talk Talk (I've been with them for MANY years now and never had an issue) seems to have the deal of the Nth moment for fibre at £18.07/Month on 18 month contract. Another 'voucher' deal though. Again, D & S at end of contract - although TT can be bargained with quite successfully.

Whatever you do, it's almost guaranteed you'll see something cheaper AFTER you've signed up!

Regards, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 18th Nov
Wait. Best deals with be out next week.
AndyRoyd18/11/2019 10:02

Voxi £10/m no contract unlimited cellular data. Throw the sim in that …Voxi £10/m no contract unlimited cellular data. Throw the sim in that Voda/unlocked 4G ancient long-since abandoned Android handset kicking around the rear of your come-in-handy drawer, then turn on the handset's wifi hotspot. Will work fine until Voxi graduates from counting school.Or similar at similar cost via 3, but 3 will want a credit check and 12months commitment.

Aha, your accurate with the fact I had an ancient long abandoned android dhandset in a come in handy drawer.
I've actually for a Voxi sim, but their website mentions 8gb for £10
ArcadeAssassin18/11/2019 10:17

You have a cooling off period with which you can cancel in and it might …You have a cooling off period with which you can cancel in and it might take two weeks to activate anyway. Ive just initiated a change from Sky to TalkTalk fibre and they say i can cancel anytime up to the 3rd December. If some super Black Friday deal comes along in the meantime i will cancel and change. If not, im happy with what TalkTalk offered. (£21.95 per month, 18mnth fixed price, 67mb, plus £100 top cashback - already tracked) beating skys price of £30.99 i was due to go up to after deals finished.

I was thinking to switch to talktalk, let me know how your experience goes.
expandingmaan18/11/2019 20:54

Aha, your accurate with the fact I had an ancient long abandoned android …Aha, your accurate with the fact I had an ancient long abandoned android dhandset in a come in handy drawer. I've actually for a Voxi sim, but their website mentions 8gb for £10

Yeah, £10 Voxi, but Voxi can't count so doesn't implement its quotas, so fill your boots (and devices) with unlimited GB until Voxi graduates from counting school.
expandingmaan18/11/2019 20:54

Aha, your accurate with the fact I had an ancient long abandoned android …Aha, your accurate with the fact I had an ancient long abandoned android dhandset in a come in handy drawer. I've actually for a Voxi sim, but their website mentions 8gb for £10

...and if you need ethernet or better wifi penetration you can optionally connect the Android handset to a router. Previous ramble about that here: hotukdeals.com/com…674
expandingmaan18/11/2019 20:55

"switch to talktalk"? So you already have a bb service?
AndyRoyd18/11/2019 21:02

"switch to talktalk"? So you already have a bb service?

I Don't. I have been using my hotspot for years. Used Three for two years, the speeds just got poorer with time. Switched to EE, improved a lot. But when downloading large files, browsing becomes impossible.

So thought broadband may be more suited.
expandingmaan18/11/2019 21:06

I Don't. I have been using my hotspot for years. Used Three for two years, …I Don't. I have been using my hotspot for years. Used Three for two years, the speeds just got poorer with time. Switched to EE, improved a lot. But when downloading large files, browsing becomes impossible. So thought broadband may be more suited.

3 used to implement brutal speed restrictions between 3pm - midnight daily. That stopped about 18months ago when OFCOM beat all the networks with a big stick. Now 3s KFI indicates there are no restrictions other than the usual "best effort" QOS balancing during congestion with bias towards time-critical applications like VOIP & streaming (so don't use a VPN if you want those services to have priority!). May be worth considering 3 again if you're comfortable with £10/m with option for £40+ cashback on a 12m commitment for unlimted data, plus access to xxx mins & unlim txts.

So far very good. Easy ordering online via TopCashback, emails and order confirmation received within an hour. Welcome pack received via post detailing what is happening when. Text messages to say what they are doing and that the router will be dispatched to me soon.

TopCashback has tracked as well.

Sky called me two days after my order to ask why I was leaving and I unleashed a wave of criticism and general anger at him and then he tried to sell me Something else and ask me to confirm I didn’t want to leave lol. Told him in no uncertain terms I was off!

As an update for you. TalkTalk went live yesterday (a day late) although they did let me know. Speeds are slightly better than sky and have been stable for the last 24hrs. Id recommend them based on my experience so far.
ArcadeAssassin05/12/2019 13:58

As an update for you. TalkTalk went live yesterday (a day late) although …As an update for you. TalkTalk went live yesterday (a day late) although they did let me know. Speeds are slightly better than sky and have been stable for the last 24hrs. Id recommend them based on my experience so far.

THank you, I genuinely appreciate your update, as I haven't got broadband yet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants