Groups

BROADBAND SPEED PROBLEM

Hi

basically i have an ongoing dispute with an isp regarding my internet.

I switched to them and my speed was lower than my old provider so i moved providers within a week of joining

I just checked my statement and realised they charged me for a full year ( on a month by month basis but i rarely check my bills so did not realise.

Now i neeed to write to them but i seen an advert in a newspaper like last week

i think it was virgin or someone and it showed the claimed speeds and actual speeds and it was researched by ofcom or someone

I seen it in a newspaper but i cant seem to find it

It was basically a small advert and i think it was virgin who did the advert.

it showed like speeds of 8mb but u actually got like 3-4mb. i just need that as proof.

They owe me nearly £150 as they kept =taking money beyond the 12 months till i phoned and argued.

I dont want to name and shame the company till all is resolved.

edit a mac code was given by the isp which i used to migrate as soon as i could. And i did repeat many times that im not paying them for a year etc.

7 Comments

Your broadband unless through Virgins fibre optic service is only up to 8mb / 16mb or whatever. Your contract would have stated that speeds aren't guaranteed as they are dependent on a number of things and if you cancel you're liable to pay for the rest of the contracted term.

I'd recommend reading the T&C's before signing up to anything in future.

Hi,

there's a Guardian newspaper coverage of the Ofcom complaint here, hope this helps you. Negotiate to get them to cut their charges, as you found the service was not suitable, and didn't match what you thought you were buying. They made you sign a 12 month minimum contract though, presumably, so could take you to court. Perhaps ask the CAB to negotiate with them, as they do with other people who owe money etc.

There are also broadband companies who have rolling 1 month contracts, should you ever want to try one of them out, without getting into a 12 month contract, Newnet are one of these and are really good. eg, newnet.co.uk/bro…php

Good luck!!!

guardian.co.uk/med…eds

Other than this, removing all internal wiring extensions etc, can help to improve speed, as they typically cause interference.

RedIron;5951386

I'd recommend reading the T&C's before signing up to anything in future.

I have to agree with RedIron. Them giving you a MAC code doesn't mean your broadband is cancelled when you use it to migrate. You still have to cancel your contract with them so they stop charging you. If you never did this or never agreed to the cancellation terms that you signed up to, they are well within their right to continue to charge you.

RedIron;5951386

Your broadband unless through Virgins fibre optic service is only up to … Your broadband unless through Virgins fibre optic service is only up to 8mb / 16mb or whatever. Your contract would have stated that speeds aren't guaranteed as they are dependent on a number of things and if you cancel you're liable to pay for the rest of the contracted term.I'd recommend reading the T&C's before signing up to anything in future.

+1

All broadband is listed as " up to " because there are too many variables beyond the control of the ISP.

Nobody is forced to enter a long term contract for BB, there are plenty of good quality providers that only have a 30 day contract.

Original Poster

you guys misinterpreted me

i signed up...well i phoned to be added but never signed a physical document

basically my old provider had messed up. i had no internet for 2 months as they couldnt figure out a fault thus leading me to move. at that time i had 1.4mb download speed.

i moved to a new priovider through migration....

they advertised same speed as mu old provider yet i was getting half
    i argued many times as i knew they were capping me to save their own costs etc

i got a miogration...they threatened me with contract etc i told them many times im not willing to pay..thye gave me mac code

moved to bethere and my speed went o near 2mb per sec download.

all 3 provders use the same exchange

i wasnt willing to do my usual internet but wait twice as long for pages to load and do my work etc

why should i? i pay their advertised prices for a service and i should get what i paid for.
    if they are limiting me and im not happy then they can and should be willing to lose me as a customer

as it happens...

they continue to charge me...im lazy and never checked the bill

BUT....al this 12 month nonsense...i was given a MAC code and transferred my service....why were the continuing to charge me beyond the 12 months??

had i never noticed i would still be paying...thats is ROBBERY!!

yet they knew i was not a customer!

whats worse is that they have no contact number for complaints and i need to write to them.

Original Poster

the link i was looking for was this

guardian.co.uk/med…eds

regulated by ofcom so its not a cowboy company or data source
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020