Broadband speed test " on the news "

46 replies
Found 23rd Dec 2007
Has anyone heard anything yet on the speed tests that the gadget shop and other places did ? i remember seeing something on sky news or bbc 1 news about powers that might be coming into force for companys like Sky, Bt, Telewest etc etc to tell you of the actual speeds you will get and not say "you will get up to" in there results.

thanks

46 Comments

I think I read that Ofcom are looking into it. I think the best suggestion I saw was to make Isp's give the average speed for your exchange.

it stems from a topic that the gadget show on channel 5 did. there is a speed test on their website where you can also submit your results.
]http//ga…htm

Cable companys should be ok such as virgin media ( telewest ntl) because its on digital cable, where as adsl speeds fluctuate because of the distance from exchange, internal wiring in the house ( remember bts network is over 100yrs old) This is why there is fluctuating speeds. Your line may allow you up to eg 2mg on an ADSL connection however theres plenty of factors as to why you may not get the 2mg speeds.

Most people will be able to get a fixed 2meg service, as your line is allowed a line loss of 43Db, for 1 meg it is increased to 60Db, and 1/2meg is unlimited (in theory). However most people now on an ADSL (not cable) will be on a max/rate adaptive product which is a UPTO 8 Meg service. The closer you live to the exchnage the faster your service "should" be other factors will be type of cable that feeds you from the exchange (copper being best, but also Ali and Lead in some places, the poundage/thickness of this cable will also affect your speeds). Your own internal wiring can also affect your speeds as previosly mentioned. ADSL2+ services are now being rolled out to more and more exchnages by the likes of sky and Be/O2 ADSL2+ offer speeds of upto 24meg again dependent on all the factors that affect Max ADSL. Until fibre to the cab happens, the speed of Broadband from the likes of BT and Tiscali is unliely to improve much further. However no one is prepared to invest this sort of money in the network. BT will not spend hundreds of millions providing FTTC when it will have to allow other operators access to it and no one else wants to stump up the money.

HA!!!

We did this and called BT (our ISP) as we were signed up for the 'up to 8mb' package only to find on most occasions it was less than half a meg! BT said to monitor the situation and it miraculously went up to 700kbps. I was advised our line could only take up to 1mb, despite the exchange being at the end of our quite short road.

Not sure what else we could do about it so have currently left it, but is very annoying!!!

bankofmumndad;1377853

HA!!!We did this and called BT (our ISP) as we were signed up for the 'up … HA!!!We did this and called BT (our ISP) as we were signed up for the 'up to 8mb' package only to find on most occasions it was less than half a meg! BT said to monitor the situation and it miraculously went up to 700kbps. I was advised our line could only take up to 1mb, despite the exchange being at the end of our quite short road. Not sure what else we could do about it so have currently left it, but is very annoying!!!

Goto ]speedtester.bt.com this will tell you what your line has been confugured for, if it sees something untowards it may allow you to report a fault. I live nearly 3 miles from my exchange (about 1.5 as the crow flies), and I get around 5.5Meg

Did this, sometimes it says configured to 750 kbps and sometimes 500 kbps. Although the download speed says on occasions as much as 2meg we only ever get a max of 750 kbps. The biggest problem I have found is, and I genuinely have no problem with indian people, I get through to the indian call centre and I just cannot get my message across. Is the same with scousers and scots, we just do not speak the same lingo!!!

What more can I do?

You able to get your line stats, from your router?

What does that mean? Router is a wirelss thing provided when we took the connection a year or so ago.

what router is it? Home Hub, Voyager?

Voyager.

whos your isp?

ISP is BT

click] here password and user ID is admin by default. Click on status or something simliar and post your synch speed and line attenuation and noise margin. You may need to click on ADSL line tab

800/448 kbps You have lost me with the rest, this is our ADSL speed. Am thinking I should not have started this conversation after 1 and a half bottles of wine!!!

You should be getting better than 800kbps downstream if your as close to the exchnage as you say you are. You "may" be better on a fixed rate product. Do you have any problems with the voice side of your line ie crackling, humming, overhearing????

No probs with voice side of the line at all. BT have tried to blame the SKy + box but moving the router made no difference.

WIth a 2mg connection speed threshold above 400k is deemed fine by BT.
So with those findings they wouldnt investigate.
I recommend a spyware scan, try system resources.

You got any extensions in the house? How many sockets do you have? Have you tried the router straight into the Master Socket/NTE5.
http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring_files/image012.jpg
Remove the face plate with a small possy screw driver and check your synch speed there if poss.

Paddy_o_furniture;1377932

You got any extensions in the house? How many sockets do you have? Have … You got any extensions in the house? How many sockets do you have? Have you tried the router straight into the Master Socket/NTE5.Remove the face plate with a small possy screw driver and check your synch speed there if poss.

Done this, get same or very similar result :x

Come on Paddy what Adsl ips do you work for I can spot the an Isp Techy a mile off

I work for all of them (theres your clue)

Your not going to get anywhere, those speeds are ok from Bts point of view.
Seriously do Spyware check, Full Anti virus scan,get someone with a laptop to come around your house to try to connect will eliminate the slow connection being your pc rather than the connection itself.

http://www.telepocalypse.net/images/openreach2.jpg

BT Open Reach then

OOOOh if I knew about the sockety thing does that me I am a techy too?? O no sorry it jolly well doesn't!!! Am nearing the 2 bottle mark, can you tell???

LOL i guessed that before I saw that pic! Lol see same time in postings lol

Paddy_o_furniture;1377946

Nice van....... have you been to our house????

SO your the geezer that does the lift and shift, doesnt ring the cmr and lets them sit there all afternoon from 1-6 twiddling there thumbs expecting your call, which means I get the grief of the cmr then"! LOL

hahahah

pcnutta;1377960

SO your the geezer that does the lift and shift, doesnt ring the cmr and … SO your the geezer that does the lift and shift, doesnt ring the cmr and lets them sit there all afternoon from 1-6 twiddling there thumbs expecting your call, which means I get the grief of the cmr then"! LOLhahahah

THAT'S ME!!!! I am the customer!!!!

bankofmumndad;1377956

Nice van....... have you been to our house????

The old BT vans looked better, my Transit was better too than that horrible Vivaro.
I tend to stay away from peoples house if possible, I prefer my original job of UG (Underground) maintenance, however If I wanna go places in this company I have to pick up more skills.

ohh we have the 3 link!! The CMR - Bankofmumndad-Then me ( The Techy)- Then Paddy-( The Bt Openreach)

LOL

pcnutta;1377960

SO your the geezer that does the lift and shift, doesnt ring the cmr and … SO your the geezer that does the lift and shift, doesnt ring the cmr and lets them sit there all afternoon from 1-6 twiddling there thumbs expecting your call, which means I get the grief of the cmr then"! LOLhahahah

I'm having a VERY bad day if I have to do any work in the exchange. Even on days like today when it's freezing cold would much rather be in my tent jointing (cables) than in exchange jumpering or on the phone to Wigan.

Talking of work Ive got work in the morning!! Only day off i got is xmas day!
Ive not washed my hair, painted my nails nothing, one reward its dress down day! Oh wonderfull! LOL
xx Catherine

Fat lot of good it's doing me.... the customer, maybe I should try the indian lady again?!!! Am going now to finish my wine and watch the rest of top gear!!!

who do you work for then?

bankofmumndad;1377975

Fat lot of good it's doing me.... the customer, maybe I should try the … Fat lot of good it's doing me.... the customer, maybe I should try the indian lady again?!!! Am going now to finish my wine and watch the rest of top gear!!!

forgot about that, hope my Sky+ or BT Vision (corporate box ticked) taped it.

I work for * every little helps*

Awwwwww Bank call me lol I love screamers!! By the end of speaking to me I got them all calm and apologising! LOL

Got ya

Right im off for a browse around the site, then get my stuff ready for work tomorrow. Have a great xmas both :)xx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How to switch between open apps on an Android box22
    2. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…79
    3. How do you transfer files to an Android device over wifi?57
    4. I just found out that I have been paying £65 p/m to sky for tv/broadband/la…89

See more discussions