Groups

Broadband Speeds

I had problems with my broadband speeds in the past and found that the telephone cabling within the house was a bit old, in a weird place, and just in general need of replacement. I have since replaced the cabling and the master socket, but I am still not getting the maximum speeds that my line can support.

I should be able to get up to 17mb however I am only geting 7mb just now.

My question is, does an extension cable, running from the master socket to my router, really have that much of an effect on my broadband speed that it would cause this difference in speed?

I have contacted my provider who claimed that having the extension cable was causing this, but unfortunately I do not know enough about it to tell whether they are fobbing me off or not.

Any advice, info, or links would be appreciated.

14 Comments

An extension lead has no effect on my speed at home.

The biggest factor is how far you are from the exchange. I'm less than half a mile and on an 8 gig connection I get 8.5 meg !!

... unfortunately I do not know enough about it to tell whether they are fobbing me off or not.

You need to install a 393 half pretzel accelerator. :thumbsup:

:whistling:

cannyscot;6623174

... unfortunately I do not know enough about it to tell whether they are … ... unfortunately I do not know enough about it to tell whether they are fobbing me off or not.You need to install a 393 half pretzel accelerator. :thumbsup: :whistling:

That's nonsense.

You need the full one

Who is your ISP?

Broadband SpeedsPOSTED BY: Bora Horza 9 minutes agoI had problems with my … Broadband SpeedsPOSTED BY: Bora Horza 9 minutes agoI had problems with my broadband speeds in the past and found that the telephone cabling within the house was a bit old, in a weird place, and just in general need of replacement. I have since replaced the cabling and the master socket, but I am still not getting the maximum speeds that my line can support.I should be able to get up to 17mb however I am only geting 7mb just now. My question is, does an extension cable, running from the master socket to my router, really have that much of an effect on my broadband speed that it would cause this difference in speed?I have contacted my provider who claimed that having the extension cable was causing this, but unfortunately I do not know enough about it to tell whether they are fobbing me off or not.Any advice, info, or links would be appreciated.

plug your router in at point of entry(to the master socket where line goes straight to from outside) with rj11 and test speeds if you sync at 17 then your extension is at fault

Banned

steve1221;6623156

An extension lead has no effect on my speed at home.The biggest factor is … An extension lead has no effect on my speed at home.The biggest factor is how far you are from the exchange. I'm less than half a mile and on an 8 gig connection I get 8.5 meg !!

wrong oh so wrong you should have as little bt cable as poss from the master socket to the router and run a longer ethernet cable to your pc this will give you a marked improvement

Banned

Yes an extension lead can make all the difference, I take it your ADSL is of the +2 type.
    How to test if it is your wiring is to remove the cover from the master socket in your house, there are 2 screws holding the bottom part of the socket on, this will remove all extension wiring in your house, then you will see a test socket inside which looks like the telephone jack on the front, plug your router into that test socket and see what speed you can get from that, this will be the maximum speed you can obtain.
    Try this with and without the filter (without filter: you may need to remove a lead from your telephone as it should have a socket to fit the BT plug one end and a plug which will fit your router at the other)

Then see what the speed is, this will be the maximum you will be able to obtain, if its a lot more then order a new master socket cover as these will come with a choke fitted on the bell wire which in most cases will up your speed a lot.

Other things which will speed up your speed to match what you can get from the master socket are:
    1. Replace master socket with the new type NTE5 (one with built in choke on the bell wire)
    2. Replace your internal wiring with Cat5e UTP cable
    3. Buy better filters or better still by ones built into the faceplate.
    4. Connect the ADSL router to the master socket
    5. Check you have no faulty phones or other equipment connected to the line (remove them all then reboot the router to see)
    6. Keep mains wires etc away from the ADSL cable and other telephone cables around the house.
    7. Keep the router away from other devices, i.e. TV, Hifi and yes any other WIFI stuff.
    8. Put a mains filter on the ADSL router to clean up your mains if needed.

That's just some of the things to do, let us know how you get on and whether you get a faster speed on the master socket with everything else disconnected.

Always see what the router says about sync speed, don't use online speed testers as they are normally wrong and state a speed slower than you are getting, your router will tell you the sync speed if you log into it.

Also once you have a stable ADSL then change the MTU and frame sizes to suit your line.

Check they are actually providing you with that speed on your router, they are probably only sending you 8meg as broadband providers are cheating lying barstewards. I was told by o2 Id be getting 13meg, I checked on my router and was only receiving 8meg so 13meg would have been impossible

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9596/65167882.jpg

I run an interent cafe and when I bought it the speeds were terrible, I changed just about every cable in the building and I was still getting slow speeds and constant disconnections, here;s what cured it;

By passed all extensions by buying a 20m cable from router to master socket and a new filter.
    Installed new BT master socket
    wired new extension to our phone system and put filter on it.
    All perfect

I am not a BT engineer however to exchange the master socket is very easy, although technically you are not allowed to touch it !! Just google "replace BT master Socket" This way you are using the purest connection possible.

steve1221;6623156

I'm less than half a mile and on an 8 gig connection I get 8.5 meg !!

wow an 8gig connection!!! where did yu buy that? :w00t:

mr.potato_head;6624107

wow an 8gig connection!!! where did yu buy that? :w00t:

:oops: I'm posting via a transtempral connection from 2057, that's quite slow for now !

fragaliciousbob;6623294

wrong oh so wrong you should have as little bt cable as poss from the … wrong oh so wrong you should have as little bt cable as poss from the master socket to the router and run a longer ethernet cable to your pc this will give you a marked improvement

What do you mean wrong ? I'm doing it... 50 foot of ext cable, no problem. No power socket anywhere near the phone socket.

Original Poster

Thanks for everyones input!

I tried connecting the router directly into the master socket but it didn't make any difference. Contacted my ISP again, this time got someone a wee bit more helpful. Tried a few things, and they are going to send me a new router to see if that fixes it. Failing that then BT will be contacted to try and resolves it.

Banned

interesting reading
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Three connection89
      2. connect tablet26
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??11
      4. Question for electrician on bathroom fan44

See more discussions