Broadband Switch/Stay Advise

Expert (Beta) 36
Posted 26th JanEdited by:"matwalaboy"
Hello Wonderful People,

Need a wee bit of advise - I am coming towards the end of my broadband contract with Sky, so called them up and they offered me :

Superfast Broadband (72-74 MBPS) for £27 a month with wi-fi guarantee or £25 without the wifi guarantee. This is on an 18 month contract.

Just wondering if this is a good enough offer to stay or should I consider moving to someone else - unfortunately Virgin Media aren't servicing my area - so my choices are either BT or one of the other providers like Post Office/JL/Vodafone etc.

Any advise much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

36 Comments
Have you had a look on uswitch to see prices from other suppliers.
ScubaDudes26/01/2020 18:27

Have you had a look on uswitch to see prices from other suppliers.

Thanks for replying, I did and seems BT are coming the closest and if I consider the £80 Prepaid Card they offer along with the cashback if I went through Quidco/TCB et al it works out about the same price - so wasn't sure if it really is worth the hassle, unless I missed something. For me the wifi guarantee is important because right now I struggle to get a good signal in the room upstairs and I work from home a lot.
I was in the same situation, at the time Sky was £29/£27 for the same thing. I was looking to go to plus net, however plus net then put their price up and then sky lowered theirs so stayed with sky for the same £25p/m

i wouldn’t touch talktalk even though they were cheaper.
I would stay with sky that seems a reasonable offer and you don’t have the hassle of switching and I find sky customers service to be great.

Just taken that same package with them myself.
Vodafone are doing some decent deals right now, £23 with £100 Amazon, Currys PC World or M&S Voucher via moneysavingexpert.com
mds125626/01/2020 18:33

I was in the same situation, at the time Sky was £29/£27 for the same t …I was in the same situation, at the time Sky was £29/£27 for the same thing. I was looking to go to plus net, however plus net then put their price up and then sky lowered theirs so stayed with sky for the same £25p/mi wouldn’t touch talktalk even though they were cheaper.

myusernamehasgone23426/01/2020 18:34

I would stay with sky that seems a reasonable offer and you don’t have the …I would stay with sky that seems a reasonable offer and you don’t have the hassle of switching and I find sky customers service to be great.Just taken that same package with them myself.

Thanks a lot, So you got £27 as well with the wifi guarantee with them then? Ofcourse since its retention so no cashback etc to sweeten the deal here.
Twixellzz26/01/2020 18:35

Vodafone are doing some decent deals right now, £23 with £100 Amazon, C …Vodafone are doing some decent deals right now, £23 with £100 Amazon, Currys PC World or M&S Voucher via moneysavingexpert.com

I did consider them but got slightly put off by the Ofcom report the other day where they have been adjudged to have the most customer calls for any broadband provider - do you have any experience with them and how they are? Thanks.
Edited by: "matwalaboy" 26th Jan
matwalaboy26/01/2020 18:35

Thanks a lot, So you got £27 as well with the wifi guarantee with them …Thanks a lot, So you got £27 as well with the wifi guarantee with them then? Ofcourse since its retention so no cashback etc to sweeten the deal here.

£25 without as I don’t think I need the booster/ guarente
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 26th Jan
myusernamehasgone23426/01/2020 18:36

£25 without as I don’t think I need the booster.

Ah cool - for me thats probably needed as right now the signal in the room upstairs is horrible.

Thanks a lot, So you got £27 as well with the wifi guarantee with them …Thanks a lot, So you got £27 as well with the wifi guarantee with them then? Ofcourse since its retention so no cashback etc to sweeten the deal here.

You can definitely get better with Sky, they are selling you a regularly available deal for new customers. Carphone Warehouse offering Superfast Fibre (72mbps+) + Anytime Calls £25 for 18 months atm.
matwalaboy26/01/2020 18:36

I did consider them but got slightly put off by the Ofcom report the other …I did consider them but got slightly put off by the Ofcom report the other day where they have been adjudged to have the most customer calls for any broadband provider - do you have any experience with them and how they are? Thanks.

They were pretty shocking speed wise but always gave a discount but all the broadband providers on my road are bad, my neighbours and my work colleague that lives on the other end of my road all have problems so I can't say I have had particular experience which I haven't with others.

Ah cool - for me thats probably needed as right now the signal in the room …Ah cool - for me thats probably needed as right now the signal in the room upstairs is horrible.

I never have issue with Signal I think walls are made are cardboard in my house(lol)

Ah cool - for me thats probably needed as right now the signal in the room …Ah cool - for me thats probably needed as right now the signal in the room upstairs is horrible.

Get the booster / guarantee. Will be worth it for you if you’ve not got signal everywhere
myusernamehasgone23426/01/2020 18:38

I never have issue with Signal I think walls are made are cardboard in my …I never have issue with Signal I think walls are made are cardboard in my house(lol)

myusernamehasgone23426/01/2020 18:41

Get the booster / guarantee. Will be worth it for you if you’ve not got s …Get the booster / guarantee. Will be worth it for you if you’ve not got signal everywhere

Lol the walls in my house are terrible too, really thin and yet signal strength is bad. Yes the booster guarantee apparently usually costs £5 a month and the guy offered to bring that down to £2 to make the entire thing £27 for me.
matwalaboy26/01/2020 18:42

Lol the walls in my house are terrible too, really thin and yet signal …Lol the walls in my house are terrible too, really thin and yet signal strength is bad. Yes the booster guarantee apparently usually costs £5 a month and the guy offered to bring that down to £2 to make the entire thing £27 for me.

The Wifi Guarantee, if you need to use it essentially they'll try and fix the issue within 30 days and if they can't they'll refund you down to £25 a month.. seems a bit pointless since you'll get the new hub anyway I expect..
Twixellzz26/01/2020 18:45

The Wifi Guarantee, if you need to use it essentially they'll try and fix …The Wifi Guarantee, if you need to use it essentially they'll try and fix the issue within 30 days and if they can't they'll refund you down to £25 a month.. seems a bit pointless since you'll get the new hub anyway I expect..

Ah is it coz They said I get a booster for free to ensure that there is signal everywhere and if it still doesn’t work I can leave them without a penalty.
I renewed mine last month. I'm paying £24 for the 35mbs package as that's all I can get where I live. I could have got it a tad bit cheaper with now tv or plusnet etc but am happy with sky's customer service, Ive had one or two issues in past and they have dealt with it swiftly.
matwalaboy26/01/2020 18:46

Ah is it coz They said I get a booster for free to ensure that there is …Ah is it coz They said I get a booster for free to ensure that there is signal everywhere and if it still doesn’t work I can leave them without a penalty.

Bs, they will give you a minimum speed guarantee of which if you don't get that (while plugged into the router via Ethernet and no other devices connected) then they have 30 days to fix and then you can leave for penalty-free, but if you can't get it on Wifi you just get your £2 refunded.
I would call Sky and tell them about the Vodafone deal. £17.50 p/m with the £100 card taken off.
Thats what i did with BT and i now pay £19.99 p/m for 54-74mb

£25 without as I don’t use sky equipment, wouldn’t use any providers equipment to be honest, things I have my network doing none of the standard stuff can do. Oh and their Wi-Fi is pretty poor to as they are just cheap routers.
Edited by: "mds1256" 26th Jan
Forgottenshopper26/01/2020 19:03

So many questions..I used this site as well as …So many questions..I used this site as well as others:-https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?p=0&msclkid=ff0674bc8c2a19e063452a9556fdd729#searchWent with Plusnet as it was better than what I had and does not throttle your internet..https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/help/what-is-broadband-traffic-management-throttlingSome Sky questions answered also:-https://www.sky.com/help/articles/your-sky-broadband-questions-answeredIts not the most fun experiance to sort out..

Great advice.

Limez26/01/2020 19:02

I would call Sky and tell them about the Vodafone deal. £17.50 p/m with …I would call Sky and tell them about the Vodafone deal. £17.50 p/m with the £100 card taken off.Thats what i did with BT and i now pay £19.99 p/m for 54-74mb

This definitely, and also Plusnet £22.99 with £70 cashback cheque (the deal I just went for).
Twixellzz26/01/2020 19:06

Great advice.This definitely, and also Plusnet £22.99 with £70 cashback c …Great advice.This definitely, and also Plusnet £22.99 with £70 cashback cheque (the deal I just went for).

I actually went for the £70 through Topcashback, but when I phoned to chase it they said that I would only be getting the cashback from TCB??
Forgottenshopper26/01/2020 19:16

I actually went for the £70 through Topcashback, but when I phoned to …I actually went for the £70 through Topcashback, but when I phoned to chase it they said that I would only be getting the cashback from TCB??

I am getting a email in 10 working days after connection to claim it and then they send it through the post within 30 days. Odd as when I went through to the checkout it included it in the basket with plusnet so it is funded by plusnet I believe.
Twixellzz26/01/2020 19:18

I am getting a email in 10 working days after connection to claim it and …I am getting a email in 10 working days after connection to claim it and then they send it through the post within 30 days. Odd as when I went through to the checkout it included it in the basket with plusnet so it is funded by plusnet I believe.

Yes mine showed up when I purchased plusnet. Have been in contact with their customer servioces, but I'm still waiting for a response.
What did you say to them?
Forgottenshopper26/01/2020 20:57

Yes mine showed up when I purchased plusnet. Have been in contact with …Yes mine showed up when I purchased plusnet. Have been in contact with their customer servioces, but I'm still waiting for a response.What did you say to them?

Has not been 10 working days yet so haven't contacted. Will definitely chase once it has been.
Twixellzz26/01/2020 21:00

Has not been 10 working days yet so haven't contacted. Will definitely …Has not been 10 working days yet so haven't contacted. Will definitely chase once it has been.

OK.I know you only have 2 months to get it sorted as per their terms and conditions..
Forgottenshopper26/01/2020 21:02

OK.I know you only have 2 months to get it sorted as per their terms and …OK.I know you only have 2 months to get it sorted as per their terms and conditions..

Yeah, strange they are telling you it’s via TCB..
Forgottenshopper26/01/2020 21:02

OK.I know you only have 2 months to get it sorted as per their terms and …OK.I know you only have 2 months to get it sorted as per their terms and conditions..

Twixellzz26/01/2020 21:03

Yeah, strange they are telling you it’s via TCB..

And so far speed and connectivity wise you guys happy with Plusnet?
matwalaboy26/01/2020 21:04

Absolutely fine 3 days in - except I didn't get the router so I just used my BT Hub 6.
Plus, we are in a large 5 bedroom house and all rooms get decent wifi connectivity (granted I am using the BT Hub instead of the plusnet one but plusnet router is a BT Hub 5A basically.)
Edited by: "Twixellzz" 26th Jan
matwalaboy26/01/2020 21:04

Yes always had good bandwidth since start of January when it was started.. Not has any issues with it..
We are using their hub, and all rooms get decent wifi connectivity, we have a large well spread out house..
Edited by: "Forgottenshopper" 26th Jan

I did consider them but got slightly put off by the Ofcom report the other …I did consider them but got slightly put off by the Ofcom report the other day where they have been adjudged to have the most customer calls for any broadband provider - do you have any experience with them and how they are? Thanks.

99.9% of Vodafones problems were due to the supplied modem/router. It would drop wifi all the time and lose connection constantly. Really the worse one I've ever had the mispleasure of using. I used my own modem/router which solved all the issues. Consistent speeds regardless of time etc.. A couple of mb faster than what I got on Sky Fibre previously. However I now use Vodafones new VOX 3.0 modem/router which is actually pretty decent. I've had good and bad CS from Vodafone in the past, However none since using the new modem/router. They don't block IPTV or torrent sites either which is a bonus.
Do you live in an area which has Gigafast broadband via Vodafone etc? 200mbps for £28 pm currently. If you’re not fussed about going to a VoIP landline then I’d recommend it. I’m on 500 at the moment and speeds are consistent
kappaz18727/01/2020 23:22

Do you live in an area which has Gigafast broadband via Vodafone etc? …Do you live in an area which has Gigafast broadband via Vodafone etc? 200mbps for £28 pm currently. If you’re not fussed about going to a VoIP landline then I’d recommend it. I’m on 500 at the moment and speeds are consistent

London mate
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants