Groups

Broadband Tax

A £6-a-year 'broadband tax' on every family with a telephone line could be introduced before the general election.

Stephen Timms, the Minister for Digital Britain, yesterday said he was aiming to bring in the levy in a forthcoming finance bill.

It means a tax of 50p a month on all land lines to fund 'superfast broadband' could be made law by the end of the year.

37 Comments

Dont mind £6 a year,

Don't forget to go to the toilet before 1st of April to avoid the new Urine tax.

And who the hell is going to get superfast broadband, will it be a case - yet again - of the have not's subsidising those in the large metroplitan areas??

Just where does the money go in this country, in many other countries this type network has been subsidised by the government, for the benefit of all!

i do as my "superfast" broadband runs at an epic 1/2Meg!! ill be in jail for non payment of stupid taxes

a warm room 3meals a day sky/gym and super fast broadband itll be a lovely holiday for me too!!

If they will actually use this money to increase the amount of fibre laid then great. Even if it's only fibre to the cabinet.

I'd be interested to know what their idea of "superfast" is though, as the Digital Britain report seemed to indicate that the government thought a 2Mb connection was "superfast".

The problem with this tax is it wont suddenly end when everyone has decent broadband, its a tax for life, another stealth tax brought in without saying its true nature that it's not only temporary to get broadband to everyone

Take for example Income tax, this was introduced in the year 1798 to fund the war against Napoleon. yet I suspect he died a LONG time ago, and the war ended a Long time ago, yet we are still paying it

Road tax was changed in 1910 to fund teh road system, to pay for new decent roads, yet now it's nothing but a tax, and the roads are in a right state.

Broadband tax once it comes in, we'll be paying forever even after everyone has broadband faster than 100Mb speed

I was under the impression that the broadband fibre is owned by private companies (Virgin/ BT), or are these subsidised by the goverment?

Banned

the gov can go **** them selves **** that for a laugh n a half

How does this compare with Europe/ the rest of the world?

I still don't understand what the goverment has anything to do with to be honest?

Another joke tax. Suppose government have got to make up a few taxes with the state of finances at the mo.

hassony;6380871

I was under the impression that the broadband fibre is owned by private … I was under the impression that the broadband fibre is owned by private companies (Virgin/ BT), or are these subsidised by the goverment?

The fibre itself is not subsidised but BT make a good case for the fact that they are a company and the ROI on laying the fibre is not really worth their time. So the government is looking to subsidise the laying of new cable and I *think* is considering allowing BT to raise the price it charges to the ISP's

Original Poster

I agree, why should our money be used to lay fibre optic cables, for BT, a now privat e company? Why should we pay for their equipment to help them make more profits? There must still be some government influence deep inside.

Who decides what Britons MUST have? Why must we have superfast broadband that we have to pay for? Why do we need it at all, most internet connections today can do the job of loading a webpage perfect well, which is what the majority use it for.

What next, a supermarket tax, because Tesco want to build a new supermarket?

Banned

karenhornby;6380832

The problem with this tax is it wont suddenly end when everyone has … The problem with this tax is it wont suddenly end when everyone has decent broadband, its a tax for life

That's what I'm worried about once it's all laid they'll spout that it needs to be maintained and it's to pay off the debt we incurred when purchasing the new cable.

Very unfair on the elderly/disabled who have no broadband... also here in Hull we don`t have a choice of provider, so can`t look for deals, it`s either Kingston Communications or nothing! :x

i think it is a good idea because they are meant to use the money for fibre optic for the whole of the uk so they say , if the do i dont mind paying 6 pounds a year if they do this .

[QUOTE=cuzzy;6380967]Very unfair on the elderly/disabled who have no broadband

people who dont have wont pay :thumbsup:

Original Poster

scotland121;6380971

i think it is a good idea because they are meant to use the money for … i think it is a good idea because they are meant to use the money for fibre optic for the whole of the uk so they say , if the do i dont mind paying 6 pounds a year if they do this .

There already is a large fibre optic network already up and running in the UK, under Virgin Media. Why pay all that money to put in another system running alongside it?

It's like Virgin Trains saying they don't want to use National Rail tracks, they are going to build their own rail network.

scotland121;6380980

its anyone with a fixed landline

Original Poster

scotland121;6380980

people who dont have wont pay :thumbsup:

They will, anyone with a PHONE line will pay. Not anyone with broadband.

scotland121;6380980

[QUOTE=cuzzy;6380967]Very unfair on the elderly/disabled who have no … [QUOTE=cuzzy;6380967]Very unfair on the elderly/disabled who have no broadbandpeople who dont have wont pay :thumbsup:

A £6-a-year 'broadband tax' on every family with a telephone line could … A £6-a-year 'broadband tax' on every family with a telephone line could be introduced before the general election.

:whistling:

cuzzy;6381024

[QUOTE=scotland121;6380980] :whistling:

:oops:

peodude;6380997

There already is a large fibre optic network already up and running in … There already is a large fibre optic network already up and running in the UK, under Virgin Media. Why pay all that money to put in another system running alongside it?It's like Virgin Trains saying they don't want to use National Rail tracks, they are going to build their own rail network.

Agreed. As long as Virgin media keep rolling out faster and faster BB, then BT are either going to have to pay for it out of their own pocket, or everyone will go to VM. Thats how competition works, and buisnesses should not be turning to the government to fund their new technologies because the competition has an advantage.
    In fact, would this also mean VM are allowed to have some of this money as they already have fibre optic in place?

peodude;6380997

There already is a large fibre optic network already up and running in … There already is a large fibre optic network already up and running in the UK, under Virgin Media. Why pay all that money to put in another system running alongside it?It's like Virgin Trains saying they don't want to use National Rail tracks, they are going to build their own rail network.

virgin dont have it all over the uk , it olny available for 50,000 people not everyone

peodude;6380997

Its not the same at all. The fibre optic network in the UK is relatively small compared to other countries it is also by and large owned and operated by completely private companies who have no legal obligation to the people of this country. BT on the other hand as part of the privatisation deal does have legal obligations and the government has more influence with them. By subsidising the laying of the fibre the government will have continued influence on what prices BT can charge for the leasing of their lines by the resellers(ISP's) and as such help keep prices reasonable.

Fibre to the cabinet across the UK is the minimum we should be looking for because it is absolutley essential to the future of the UK economy when it comes to any sort of technological market.

How the government are raising this money, I'm not sure I agree with but I do agree that the money must be raised and the work must be done.

EDIT:

The exisiting fibre optic network is also tightly confined to very high population centres. This is for the whole of the UK.

I would pay it but would demand fast broadband for paying it. if not given fast broadband would sue for damages co's of the undue stress and discrimination :lol

duffbeer49;6381091

Its not the same at all. The fibre optic network in the UK is relatively … Its not the same at all. The fibre optic network in the UK is relatively small compared to other countries it is also by and large owned and operated by completely private companies who have no legal obligation to the people of this country. BT on the other hand as part of the privatisation deal does have legal obligations and the government has more influence with them. By subsidising the laying of the fibre the government will have continued influence on what prices BT can charge for the leasing of their lines by the resellers(ISP's) and as such help keep prices reasonable.Fibre to the cabinet across the UK is the minimum we should be looking for because it is absolutley essential to the future of the UK economy when it comes to any sort of technological market.How the government are raising this money, I'm not sure I agree with but I do agree that the money must be raised and the work must be done.

that what i was trying to say well said dude

In South Yorkshire they are rolling out fibre to the cabinet in 2010 with an estimated finish date of 2012 :-D

computing.co.uk/com…ted

SuperEd

japan get 1000mb for around ten squid a month and we are getting taxed they can take a long run and jump....

goonertillidie;6381205

japan get 1000mb for around ten squid a month and we are getting taxed … japan get 1000mb for around ten squid a month and we are getting taxed they can take a long run and jump....

Japan also subsidises their telecoms network heavily as they saw the need for ubiquitous speed very early.

Hell almost all people in Japan have better speeds over their mobile internet than we get on our broadband connections

Banned

£6 a year is nothing and it's nice to see the government investing in infrastructure like this.

Also, it gives people a chance to moan and use phrases like 'stealth taxes' and 'rip-off Britain'.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6381472

£6 a year is nothing and it's nice to see the government investing in … £6 a year is nothing and it's nice to see the government investing in infrastructure like this.Also, it gives people a chance to moan and use phrases like 'stealth taxes' and 'rip-off Britain'.

............. and offensive comments the mods need to edit..........

Lucky escape it seems!:thumbsup:

Banned

another labour stealth tax to add to the other 100+ they have introduced

mark my words, will start at 50p but will soon rise big time!

FilthAndFurry;6381472

£6 a year is nothing and it's nice to see the government investing in … £6 a year is nothing and it's nice to see the government investing in infrastructure like this.Also, it gives people a chance to moan and use phrases like 'stealth taxes' and 'rip-off Britain'.

As far as I'm aware they will not be "investing in infrastructure" really. As the tax is only to help the 15% that don't have up to 2meg broadband, thus meaning only a small % gain from this.
    Also if you read their targets, they want 90% to reach the super fast broadband (2 meg). So even a smaller percent gain.

Now i would agree with the tax, if they were laying down fibre optic cable right left and centre,but they are not.

This money would be far better spent imo, on getting real broadband to the masses, not just to try to get a small percent up to 2 meg.

Can we tax those that live out in the sticks 50p as they get fresher air than us city folk?
    Seems strange that it's on all fixed lines, so those with cable broadband (and no phone) won't pay it but could opt to use a voip service. But my nana who is 90 and has no interest in computers will have to pay it.

The money won't go to BT, BT like any other company will be able to bid for it to provide a solotion to provide these people with the USO of 2Mbps.

I dont mind if we get the same speeds as South Korea

chri1143;6394976

I dont mind if we get the same speeds as South Korea

Never gonna happen.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846238
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?32183
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2437
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1732

See more discussions