Expired

Broadband Thoughts

Found 1st Dec 2017
Just found out that BT are indeed putting my home phone and fibre broadband package up from January, so whilst I can jump ship with no penalties.....where do I go? Can't get Virgin Media where I live, best deals are from EE and Sky. Any thoughts, reviews on these providers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
deleted1597344
Just move to Sky, in my opinion customer service is so much better, it’s cheaper and the speeds should be similar as at the end of the day it’s the same cable and same exchange in use.
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 1st Dec 2017
Why move they will all follow BT pricing in the end
I pay sky £18 a month for phone and broadband including line rental.
If upload speed is important, check each provider and each package. Some limit it to 1meg on the 38meg fibre services and 512k on ADSL basic broadband. We upload photos and files so it matters

I jumped ship from BT to Plusnet with their top 76meg package for £20pm + £50 cashback. Plusnet were a bit tricksey on the cashback and said it didn't apply to the package I chose. They coughed up eventually

Plusnet wireless performance on their Hub One router is utter sh1te. True, the tech staff all speak proper english (so long as a northern accent doesn't offend) but its not good. I have ended up spending £135 in the Black friday sale on a top of the range wireless router. I'm still in credit

Sky are OK but expensive. However reliable service is worth paying for.
cliosport651 h, 10 m ago

My thoughts exactly
I've tried sky and talktalk and for me both were horrendous
I'vealways gone back to BT
All I will say is if your happy with your service why change as other providers will no doubt do the same as BT once they have your custom
It's 8p a day rise , not exactly massive is it
ccnp48 m ago

If upload speed is important, check each provider and each package. Some …If upload speed is important, check each provider and each package. Some limit it to 1meg on the 38meg fibre services and 512k on ADSL basic broadband. We upload photos and files so it mattersI jumped ship from BT to Plusnet with their top 76meg package for £20pm + £50 cashback. Plusnet were a bit tricksey on the cashback and said it didn't apply to the package I chose. They coughed up eventuallyPlusnet wireless performance on their Hub One router is utter sh1te. True, the tech staff all speak proper english (so long as a northern accent doesn't offend) but its not good. I have ended up spending £135 in the Black friday sale on a top of the range wireless router. I'm still in creditSky are OK but expensive. However reliable service is worth paying for.

I've been with plusnet for years, for me it's all about customer service. You get a feeling they actually care. They will phone you back after you carry out the checks they ask you to do etc. They soak English and they understand British banking. They also do their best to equal or better other broadband deals. With giving then a call.
Vodafone are decent, we get close to 60mbs for £20 a month all in.
Snakeyes6466 m ago

Vodafone are decent, we get close to 60mbs for £20 a month all in.

Their customer service is awful though! BT have the best hub by far! If you want to move try plusnet they seem to be okay
Dannyrobbo41 s ago

Their customer service is awful though! BT have the best hub by far! If …Their customer service is awful though! BT have the best hub by far! If you want to move try plusnet they seem to be okay

I hope your not talking about the hub six? it's terrible where we live anyway... had to go back to the hub 5
Snakeyes6464 m ago

I hope your not talking about the hub six? it's terrible where we live …I hope your not talking about the hub six? it's terrible where we live anyway... had to go back to the hub 5

Had no issues with the hub 6, it’s by far the best provider supplied hub around
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 1st Dec 2017
I recommend going on moneysavingexpert and using their ‘broadband unbundled’ service as a starting point, you can use the deals available to bargain with the provider you actually want to go with.
Better the devil you know, but if you do change avoid talktalk, worst company I have ever used, nothing but a nightmare for the 12 months I was with them, then 2 years later they got a county court judgement against me for money I did not owe, got it cancelled but was just more hassle and stress from them.

Just got my bt fibre to the home package renewed ( 2 lines to my home ) as it is true fibre to the home and not just the cabinet. Got it for £29 running at 76mb and free weekend calls. The main reason I have stayed with bt is the fibre has not given me any headaches and had no need to phone up with any faults etc, the speed has never dropped etc.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 1st Dec 2017
mrty3 h, 23 m ago

I've been with plusnet for years, for me it's all about customer service. …I've been with plusnet for years, for me it's all about customer service. You get a feeling they actually care. They will phone you back after you carry out the checks they ask you to do etc. They soak English and they understand British banking. They also do their best to equal or better other broadband deals. With giving then a call.

I joined two weeks ago and my mobile only worked for a couple of days, since then its been like talking to dumb brickheads, they couldn't organize a cup of tea in a cafe', I have got my pac number and am going to a proper company. Best customer service !!!! In your dreams.
cliosport658 h, 3 m ago

No, many of the smaller ones aimed at enthusiasts and home offices offer a more consistent pricing structure, rather than the 'big discounts followed by big price hikes' business model.

Of course they can't compete on price with the discount the big companies offer and will work out more expensive than swapping ISP as soon as each offer finishes.

However if you just want a set and forget ISP you'll find they're competitive with BT's out of contrast prices, sometimes even slightly cheaper. Especially when you factor in the hidden price traps like the ludicrous landline call costs (15p+ a minute for BT instead of the normal 1-2p).
In a nutshell...I am currently paying £72 per month and it will be £80 In January! I have spoke to BT who have offered me their latest hub for £65pm. But Sky is offering me the same for £38 and EE is offering it for £37 + £100 cashback after one month + 5gb extra data for my son's mobile! I realise that they will eventually all go up and that BT are probably the best supplier but I'm loathed to pay what seems way over the odds for it!
I switched from BT to Vodafone 2 weeks ago, now in the process of switching back. Vodafone are really awful, the speed is great but too many problems with the hub and their CS.
If you start switching to another provider they will send you the Sorry you are leaving email, with a phone number to call. That is the best time to negotiate. Or, leave, and on the 2nd day with your new provider sign up with BT again as a new customer. You then qualify for any discounts and vouchers.
Sambat11 h, 3 m ago

I switched from BT to Vodafone 2 weeks ago, now in the process of …I switched from BT to Vodafone 2 weeks ago, now in the process of switching back. Vodafone are really awful, the speed is great but too many problems with the hub and their CS.If you start switching to another provider they will send you the Sorry you are leaving email, with a phone number to call. That is the best time to negotiate. Or, leave, and on the 2nd day with your new provider sign up with BT again as a new customer. You then qualify for any discounts and vouchers.

A tip for leaving vodafone, always cancel your direct debit when you leave because they have a habit of not doing it their end!

awful company to deal with!
Queenofthecoupons9913 h, 1 m ago

In a nutshell...I am currently paying £72 per month and it will be £80 In …In a nutshell...I am currently paying £72 per month and it will be £80 In January! I have spoke to BT who have offered me their latest hub for £65pm. But Sky is offering me the same for £38 and EE is offering it for £37 + £100 cashback after one month + 5gb extra data for my son's mobile! I realise that they will eventually all go up and that BT are probably the best supplier but I'm loathed to pay what seems way over the odds for it!

£80 a month is horrendous. I joined BT in October and pay £8.50 for 54mbps infinity 1 and line rental.
Never stay loyal to a company, when the contract is up or the price is going up, jump ship. Check Topcashback?Quidco, get a great deal for another year, then do the same again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions