Groups

Broke my Macbook - any suggestions (I FIXED IT - YIPPEE)

Right im a moron.

I split a cup of tea over one of my macbooks.

Currently it is booting up sometimes then lasts for 20 minutes and shuts down etc. Or sometimes just doesnt come on at all.

Its still under warranty Only had it 3 months..

Will apple notice the water damage do you think? Or whats the best way to get it fixed as im driving near an apple store on Thursday..

I dont have home contents insurance (completely slipped my mind to get it when we moved home)

29 Comments

dont take it in until you have dried out out for at least a week,if they notice the damage they will put a note against the serial number and all the warranty will be void.

try swapping the hard drive as thats normally the problem with ones that have had liquid on them

Ye apple will notice it... especially as it was tea!

Did you take out apple care?

Why not get some contents insurance and then make a claim in a month or so?

how about you home contents insurance are you covered for accidental damage

octobergirl;5862230

how about you home contents insurance are you covered for accidental … how about you home contents insurance are you covered for accidental damage

he hasn't got any as stated in the OP

Banned

What type of tea was it? Please don't say Earl Grey.

harib0uk;5862216

Why not get some contents insurance and then make a claim in a month or … Why not get some contents insurance and then make a claim in a month or so?

Worth a punt:thumbsup:

Get some rice and then put rice all over it, possible but it in a big bowl of rice if you can, will take out all the wet from the laptop

octobergirl;5862230

how about you home contents insurance are you covered for accidental … how about you home contents insurance are you covered for accidental damage

that would be FRAUD :-(

dean3988;5862272

that would be FRAUD :-(

Unless he has accidental cover won't any claim he makes be considered fraudulent ?

Banned

dean3988;5862265

Get some rice and then put rice all over it, possible but it in a big … Get some rice and then put rice all over it, possible but it in a big bowl of rice if you can, will take out all the wet from the laptop

He should place a naan bread underneath it to suck the water out from below, and rice on the top to absorb the stuff in the middle.

A poppadom should be placed in the slot loading dvd drive to drive the water out from inside, because of the salt content.

I think the Macbook has liquid sensors inside so Apple would be able to tell if any liquid has been in contact with the Macbook.

Or why not just take it to Apple, be honest, and see how much they'll charge you to fix it?

livingthelife07;5862302

I think the Macbook has liquid sensors inside so Apple would be able to … I think the Macbook has liquid sensors inside so Apple would be able to tell if any liquid has been in contact with the Macbook.

the old ones did,not sure about these new ones though,ipods/iphones definitely do

Sounds like the drying tea has perhaps shorted a connection on the motherboard.

I had heard - although I don't know whether I'd have the guts to try it - that if you spill tea/coffee/fizzy drinks etc into your laptop, the best thing to do is to disconnect the battery and power supply and instantly rinse it under cold water, getting rid of any residue left from the original drink.
    Then very thoroughly dry this out, before switching back on.

Lord knows if anyone as tried this!!

Original Poster

Well – Problem with getting home insurance now and claiming (dispute the fraud issue).

A new home content insurance policy means - £100 roughly lump sum.. Wait one month – Then £200 roughly excess.. Which will eventually make my prems go up anyway.

I would have spent £300 just insurance and excess to get it fixed.

spritey;5862341

Well – Problem with getting home insurance now and claiming (dispute the f … Well – Problem with getting home insurance now and claiming (dispute the fraud issue).A new home content insurance policy means - £100 roughly lump sum.. Wait one month – Then £200 roughly excess.. Which will eventually make my prems go up anyway.I would have spent £300 just insurance and excess to get it fixed.

try flogging it on ebay/here may get a couple of hundred for it if all else fails

Banned

You should open up the macbook and look inside.

It probably won't fix it, but you might be able to see your future:thumbsup:

thelioncub;5862318

Or why not just take it to Apple, be honest, and see how much they'll … Or why not just take it to Apple, be honest, and see how much they'll charge you to fix it?

will cost a bomb,and warranty will be voided as well for any unrelated repairs,minimum cost will be £300,I worked for Apple for a few years some time ago

Banned

boothy;5862359

will cost a bomb,and warranty will be voided as well for any unrelated … will cost a bomb,and warranty will be voided as well for any unrelated repairs,minimum cost will be £300,I worked for Apple for a few years some time ago

Wow, I did not know that.

Banned

dean3988;5862374

gtfo

Must conserve strength....use acronyms.... save wear and tear on keyboard....

Banned

is this the one listed on the fs boards, if so this and the other will get locked down

oh i see you got that one locked down already

They do now have liquid sensors..

spritey;5862341

Well – Problem with getting home insurance now and claiming (dispute the f … Well – Problem with getting home insurance now and claiming (dispute the fraud issue).A new home content insurance policy means - £100 roughly lump sum.. Wait one month – Then £200 roughly excess.. Which will eventually make my prems go up anyway.I would have spent £300 just insurance and excess to get it fixed.

You really should get home contents insurance anyway!

and I guess if you have £200 excess you have made claims in the past for it to be that high (mines only £50 excess)

Other option is to hold onto it for a while stick it in the airing cupboard if you have one and see how it goes!

otherwise it's a spares or repairs sale

Edit: also you wont be able to list on HUKD for sale for 7 days now!

dean3988;5862265

Get some rice and then put rice all over it, possible but it in a big … Get some rice and then put rice all over it, possible but it in a big bowl of rice if you can, will take out all the wet from the laptop

I can see why but,

lol'd :-D

Original Poster

Sold it for £280. Which i feel was good going.

Will build / buy a high end PC tomorrow - and buy a macbook pro end of next month

spritey;5863876

Sold it for £280. Which i feel was good going.

and quick! hopefully you were abiding by HUKD rules

Original Poster

harib0uk;5866059

and quick! hopefully you were abiding by HUKD rules

Sold it somewhere else - mods can feel free to check my pm's :P

spritey;5866337

Sold it somewhere else - mods can feel free to check my pm's :P

Good Good :thumbsup:

Better price than you would have got on here anyhow!

Original Poster

I thought i'd broken it further when trying to retrieve my data off it - so the sale fell through...

Decided to open it - found residue on the connector to the screen. Just wiped it off. It's all been working fine and daddy since thismorning.. Yipee :). Thank god!. plus no noticable signs that i could see of water damage - so warranty still in place.

I'm selling it elsewhere tho for cheap - as i purchased all the parts for a new high end PC in a rush panic. Oh well, serves me right
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions