Expired

Broke phone on first day. Google Pixel 2, Vodafone contract no insurance yet

Found 11th Mar
Hi all

I managed to break my phone on the first day. I put the sim in wrong without the tray and it got stuck, real bad. Managed to get the sim out but it doesn't read. Any sim.

You can tell that something has been going off in the slot so wouldn't take genius to work out what happened so can't send it back as 'fault on arrival'.

It's with vodafone on contract and I don't have any insurance for it yet.

Yes, I realise in hindsight I should have sought help before the DIY 'fix'.

What would you all recommend? There some seems to be some sketchy online fixers for around £50 that match my problem where you send the phone off. Or there are some local phone places which may be able to help.

It's on contract and I rarely would have a fancy phone so this is a major purchase for me. Do google have fix places? Anyone else done this?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Adam
Community Updates
Top comments
You messed up, you pay for it unfortunately. Why should Vodafone foot the bill because you can't install a sim card. Harsh, but true.
adeljay9218 m ago

I would try your luck and say it was faulty mate on arrival. Vodafone are …I would try your luck and say it was faulty mate on arrival. Vodafone are very good tbh on there customer service side but moral compass would just say go to an autorised repairer and hopefully he gives you a good deal

... if only I could scream at you for saying that. VODAFONE HAVE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. My Vodafone su6 wouldn’t read sim and after 6 months and a lawsuit . They finally agreed to pay all costs and replace me with any phone of choice. It was NOT worth the hassle!
14 Comments
I would try your luck and say it was faulty mate on arrival. Vodafone are very good tbh on there customer service side but moral compass would just say go to an autorised repairer and hopefully he gives you a good deal
adeljay9218 m ago

I would try your luck and say it was faulty mate on arrival. Vodafone are …I would try your luck and say it was faulty mate on arrival. Vodafone are very good tbh on there customer service side but moral compass would just say go to an autorised repairer and hopefully he gives you a good deal

... if only I could scream at you for saying that. VODAFONE HAVE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. My Vodafone su6 wouldn’t read sim and after 6 months and a lawsuit . They finally agreed to pay all costs and replace me with any phone of choice. It was NOT worth the hassle!
Vodafone are brilliant I can't fault them at all. If I were you I would try your luck. If they refuse it, I wouldn't send my phone off id see if any phone shops locally can do it for you while you wait
Maybe Vodafone has seen this post?
Might as well try returning as faulty, Play dumb etc.. Worse they can do is say no ;).
You messed up, you pay for it unfortunately. Why should Vodafone foot the bill because you can't install a sim card. Harsh, but true.
Thanks all. I should say that I got the phone from mobiles.co.uk. Not Vodafone.

It seems at worse this is £50 fix so not too bad.
If you are within cooling off period send it back. Done...

I'm not a fan of this but tbh it should not allow you to do this? I feel it's not your fault in a way poor design, poor packaging?.

We are not all phone experts, I'd of probably done the same, I'm always confused with fitting Micro sd cards? Which way round etc..

They need to design these idiot proof...

Give it back (cooling off) , or tell them to sort it!!..
mxer45045 m ago

If you are within cooling off period send it back. Done...I'm not a fan of …If you are within cooling off period send it back. Done...I'm not a fan of this but tbh it should not allow you to do this? I feel it's not your fault in a way poor design, poor packaging?. We are not all phone experts, I'd of probably done the same, I'm always confused with fitting Micro sd cards? Which way round etc..They need to design these idiot proof... Give it back (cooling off) , or tell them to sort it!!..

It's a poor design agreed. I do feel a bit of an idiot and I'm not the only one looking at Web. Cooling off might not work if 'damage'?

Saving grace is I got £40 cashback on a £495 phone inc contact total price yet there is a 'hot' deal for £519 phone only. So if it costs me £64 to fix then same as that plus the contract is worth £5 a month to me.

Still wish I didn't. I gave plus one to everyone in thread including the one about not being able to figure out sims. I agree. People make mistakes and should pay.
Send it back, you will win. Your probably never here anything.

"Was working fine, don't know what's happened your end"

Would be my argument, if I did here anything that is.

Definitely worth a go as you are willing to repair it anyway. Not that you'll need it as they won't blame/send it back..

Good luck with what ever you decide, you sound a honest chap and deserve a little break..
mxer4508 h, 43 m ago

If you are within cooling off period send it back. Done...I'm not a fan of …If you are within cooling off period send it back. Done...I'm not a fan of this but tbh it should not allow you to do this? I feel it's not your fault in a way poor design, poor packaging?. We are not all phone experts, I'd of probably done the same, I'm always confused with fitting Micro sd cards? Which way round etc..They need to design these idiot proof... Give it back (cooling off) , or tell them to sort it!!..

That’s why there are instructions on how to do this with every phone!
mxer45013 h, 14 m ago

yes we are not all experts hence why manufacturers include manuals/instructions
Also Vodafone don't always send brand new phones out to people on new contracts. I believe it was my s6 edge was previously opened.
Just say the phone boxbwas already opened. You went ahead and tried it out and it wouldn't read your SIM.

Took a look and saw the SIM slot damaged.
mxer45018 h, 2 m ago

Poor design and poor packaging?? Really?? Come on. There are instructions, video s on YouTube to guide you. If you still didn't know you could have asked someone who knows better.

Don't blame the company for you not using your common sense!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions